Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Maui Advice
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/15/2018 06:54 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/15/2018 06:54 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

aloha

Joined Forum: 03/22/2005

My wife won a trip to Maui through work. We are going the week after Thanksgiving. I think I'll 1-2 days free to surf. I don't plan on bringing my board(s). Does anyone have any advice on where to rent a board? Maybe a surf guide? Or is it better to rent a car? Some good breaks to check out? I've surfed there way back in the day and got to Honolua Bay on a 1' day and Hookipa Bay on a windy head high day.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
 10/15/2018 08:24 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

No doubt that there are places to rent boards. I have not been to Maui since 2011.

Where are you staying?

Yes, absolutely rent a car. Now, check all the companies for discounts and rates. Sign up for their membership programs. One interesting thing that I found is that everybody wants to rent the cheapest car and, as such, everybody looks for "compacts" and, also because they are cheaper on gas, which is VERY expensive on Maui. Currently $4+ per gallon! https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/Hawaii/Kahului

So, guess what, if spending a couple more dollars on gas is not such a big deal, , , , you can end up finding a mid-size or full size car for cheaper than the compact (because EVERYBODY wants a compact)!!! I've gotten a full size Buick and a full size SUV for cheaper that the compact.!

-------------------------
Dora Hates You

Edited: 10/15/2018 at 08:25 AM by dingpatch
 10/15/2018 08:31 AM

aloha

I think the name of the place is the Grand Wialea on Wialea Beach.
 10/15/2018 10:19 AM

dingpatch

Gittin kind of "ritzy" on us aint you? Staying at the Waldorf!

Wailea IS the high class area of Maui. But, not to worry. Plenty of "regular" shopping and eats to the north in Kihei !! There is a big, super, Safeway in Kihei; if they don't have it, you don't need it. Although, , , , our favorite place to eat is the Monkeypod Kitchen, which is very close (walking) to where you will be sleeping.

Not much surf down that way but, our favorite beach is just to the south; Makena Beach (Big Beach). Please note that there are two (2) parking lots. All the tourists tend to jam the first one, not knowing that there is another one just down the road.

Big Beach

Monkeypod lunch at the bar

Figure out what you want to know and start asking questions. Been there 4 times for a total of 6 weeks.

Dora Hates You

Edited: 10/15/2018 at 01:47 PM by dingpatch
 10/15/2018 12:07 PM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Wife or not.... How do you go to Maui during prime season and only surf once or twice ?!?!

Edited: 10/15/2018 at 12:08 PM by Plan B
 10/15/2018 01:07 PM

aloha

Thanks for the great advice. I had no idea that it was a Waldorf! Staying first class! A friend told me to head to Monkeypod too so I'll definitely need to head there.
I'm hoping to get more days in the water, but we will see. Unfortunately we aren't there for very long.
Thanks again.
 10/15/2018 04:44 PM

tripp

Joined Forum: 07/31/2004

On your way up the coast to Honolua Bay to see the WSL Women's contest and hand with Caroline Marks, stop at the roadside cafe Leoda's Kitchen and Pie Shop. Your wife and stomach with thank you. Your waistline will not.
 10/15/2018 05:09 PM

seaspray

Joined Forum: 05/10/2012

I went there in 2008. I rented a longboard and surfed here: Puamana Beach Park Parking and showers, right off the highway. Small mellow waves, but you won't be in the way of the locals. *edit, I guess you can't hyperlink a Google Maps pin (?). But search for Puamana Beach Park and you'll see.

Edited: 10/15/2018 at 05:15 PM by seaspray
 10/16/2018 05:48 AM

SaveBlue

Joined Forum: 10/25/2007

Chances are there won't be much swell coming out of the south so if you want to surf your best chances are north shore, Honolua and if it's a big enough swell or more north in it then a few spots south of honolua. Rent a board in Lahaina town, there's also a few fun places to surf there if you happen to get a south. If it's working I would just stick with the bay, winds are usually always offshore this time of the year. Feel free to pm me, I lived there for a little bit.
 10/16/2018 07:32 PM

paddleout

Joined Forum: 07/31/2003

Well, you can't do much better than the Grand Wialea. I was there in 2004 and it was very nice- had an excellent spa if I recall.

Only thing is there is no surf over there. So you will want a rental that can haul boards. I cant remember where I rented my board, but the place had a ton of surftechs, and they had my exact board there so it was a piece of cake. I rented for the week.

I surfed at Honoloa and it was very fun- just be careful the conditions arent past your abilities.. theres rocky areas and if you get caught inside it can get interesting. Nothing too crazy, but I suggest watching things from the cliff for awhile to make sure you know how it all works. That is also a good snorkeling spot when its flat.

I also surfed Hookipa when it wasnt too big- also saw it get huge there- gigantic windy beachbreak that I wasnt about to deal with.

There was another spot along the road somewhere that had little easy longboard waves- think it was Puamana Beach park that seaspray mentioned. When I was there it was pretty small- and shallow- but easy to deal with.

You will have a blast- you are staying in an awesome hotel- my only advice would be to be aware that the waves there might look the same size as a Florida wave, but they pack alot more punch- so if it looks big to you from the parking lot- it will seem *really* intense. Start on the small side and work up and you'll have a great time.

Oh by the way- the road to Hana was a very fun day trip- lots of cool little coves, black sand beaches, etc. I even surfed one of the small coves. It is a long ride though- I wished I had stayed in Hana instead of having to turn back around and drive back in the dark.

10/17/2018 05:16 AM

finward

Joined Forum: 08/09/2011

That time of year you will need to watch the north side. Maybe Honoloa bay but if it's good out the locals can get nasty. Hookipa and Lanes is best, if you can handle Florida beachbreak head high you will love those 2 at double there is really only one way out during a good swell and it does all the work for you.

10/17/2018 09:29 AM

dingpatch

Got some Blocksurf Wrap Doubles like these that you can have for $15.

Blocksurf Wrap Doubles

Dora Hates You
 10/17/2018 09:35 AM

oipaul

Joined Forum: 12/06/2004

Originally posted by: finward

That time of year you will need to watch the north side. Maybe Honoloa bay but if it's good out the locals can get nasty. Hookipa and Lanes is best, if you can handle Florida beachbreak head high you will love those 2 at double there is really only one way out during a good swell and it does all the work for you.

Make sure you save some energy for getting back in...ask the guards to point out the best entry/exit. and if you go to honolua, remember you're going to be scrambling up and down a 50ft cliff face on a rock/dirt trail either barefoot or in slippers with one free hand...holding a board. be careful!

Edited: 10/17/2018 at 09:39 AM by oipaul
 11/24/2018 10:56 AM

all3

Joined Forum: 12/28/2011

Jaws contest is going on Monday. You going to be there?

"I remember South Africa in the late 70's, sleeping on the beach at J-bay, smoking ganja with the blacks. On weekends we'd go to the pub in East London to drink beer and fight with the Afrikaners. They liked to fight, I liked to fight. It was a good time"
 11/24/2018 11:51 AM

aloha

Thanks for the heads up. I arrive Monday so I'll head straight there to watch. It looks like some big surf next week. The west side looks like it'll be really fun with offshores almost all week.
 11/24/2018 07:07 PM

all3

Joined Forum: 12/28/2011

And the girls will be going at honolua, go cheer Caroline Marks on!

"I remember South Africa in the late 70's, sleeping on the beach at J-bay, smoking ganja with the blacks. On weekends we'd go to the pub in East London to drink beer and fight with the Afrikaners. They liked to fight, I liked to fight. It was a good time"
FORUMS : Surfing : Maui Advice

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .