Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: WOW! The Extreme Physics Pushing Moore's Law to the Next Level
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/27/2019 06:46 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/27/2019 06:46 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 10/28/2019 01:15 PM

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

I saw a version that was a little longer which ended with the phrase, "And then it became self aware."
 10/28/2019 06:03 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

That is bad-ass, the lengths we go to. Too bad we can't keep it out of China.
 10/29/2019 02:27 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

Maybe it will free china.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 10/29/2019 04:23 PM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

That's a good point WG. How long can xi keep the world from his people in a world where their tools to keep them down are barely keeping up. What are the end products of these high volume micro chip makers?

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

10/30/2019 07:06 AM

Cole

For thousands of years, the wheel was the technological marvel, then we limped to the internal combustion engine and now, in a mere blip of time eternal, we have chips the size of a gnat that can process more information than all the great thinkers through history combined in a flap of a bee's wings.

Moore's Law? More like Area 51 Law.

I was right.
 10/30/2019 11:59 AM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

cool vid
 10/30/2019 03:29 PM

dingpatch

The retired fighter pilot next door started his career as an accounting student. He interned on the original UNIVAC. It was as big as his house is. The work station he worked on is the one on display at the Smithsonian.

You remember the "Furby"? The processor in the Furby is more powerful than the CPU in the Lunar Lander (LEM)!!!!!

Some years ago I was at BCC Cocoa for a "talk". The main guy held up his brand new Toshiba "Satellite"(?) lap top. It had more computing power than every single computer NASA owned, combined, on the day Apollo 11 landed at Tranquility Base!!!!!!!

Dora Hates You
 10/31/2019 08:36 AM

TeeBirdForever

Joined Forum: 08/21/2016

The LM and CM computers were dedicated navigation machines with custom software and hardware. Also had some of the first integrated circuits.

Many modern realtime computers are dedicated custom code and hardware machines. Ask WG. I'm not sure I would want a realtime nav computer running under windoze or linux. Modern OS are built to serve multiple apps and users.

But yes, the computing power and internal and storage memory today are ridiculous.
 10/31/2019 10:37 AM

dingpatch

Oh and, , , , , some years ago, , , , ,

I was talking to my wife's sister's husband about the "new" 256MB ram module that Samsung(?) was about to come out with, , , , ,. Wow, right?

I guess that it was no big deal to him, , , , he was a Chief Cartographer at the Defense Mapping Agency, , , , he told me that he had 32 gigs of RAM at his desk!!!!

Dora Hates You
 10/31/2019 06:06 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Originally posted by: TeeBirdForever

The LM and CM computers were dedicated navigation machines with custom software and hardware. Also had some of the first integrated circuits.

Many modern realtime computers are dedicated custom code and hardware machines. Ask WG. I'm not sure I would want a realtime nav computer running under windoze or linux. Modern OS are built to serve multiple apps and users.

Good article on the Apollo Guidance Computers in LM and CM:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

The details on that would have been incredibly complex in 1963!

I certainly wouldn't put Windows near anything safety-critical. There are several variants of Linux that have been tuned for "real-time response" but not many that meet the tight requirements of safety-critical systems. Most of those still use a minimal, custom-brew OS.

Hardware-wise, your AMD/Intel X86 derivatives consume way to much power to go in enclosed, embedded boxes. Most "serious" (safety-critical) systems will use a standard, off-the-shelf ARM processor, or a Digital Signal Processor chip from Texas Instruments, with some of the really heavy math offloaded to a custom hardware chip (FPGA or ASIC) that can do many, many things in parallel. Designing a new custom processor as the primary processor for something is usually too expensive an investment. Off-the-shelf processors can do about 90% of the work needed in many apps, so the remaining 10% may be offloaded to simpler (cheaper) custom coprocessors.

Originally posted by: johnnyboy

That's a good point WG. How long can xi keep the world from his people in a world where their tools to keep them down are barely keeping up. What are the end products of these high volume micro chip makers?

The tech in ding's original post is insane. It's being used to create all sorts of chips using the smallest, fastest, densest chips on the planet -- graphics cores, advanced CPUs, artificial intelligence chips, bitcoin miners, self-driving cars, facial recognition spy cameras, cell phone infrastructure like Huawei's that can spy on everyone, and some pretty gnarly weapons.

This tech is for chips that are mass-produced and high volume, used increasingly in China and by China. Their propensity for research, coupled with intellectual property theft, coupled with the billions of dollars the world throws their way for consumer goods, should scare the crap out of everyone. CNN has Americans at each others' throats with 24/7 coverage of Trump, while China continues to oppress citizens in internment camps, traffic in humans and involuntarily harvested organs, blow up churches, build new islands in the South China Sea, and so on.

We fiddle and diddle while China and their 1.4 billion population continue to gain critical mass in every strategic area imaginable. This technology will not free them, because their authoritarian government has total control and is working diligently to maintain it. Because they spy on everyone and collect data on everything, they are building the world's largest training library for machine learning and artificial intelligence, which will exponentially power their next round of advances.

We need to really, really rethink our trade policy with China. They are gaining tech and big money. We are gaining cheap sneakers, diapers, pork, and a lot of minimum-wage Walmart employees.

11/01/2019 06:34 AM

TeeBirdForever

Joined Forum: 08/21/2016

Good elaboration.
 11/03/2019 07:53 AM

johnnyboy

How can that many people be kept in the dark for so long? It's got to have a breaking point.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .