Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: What happened to the waves?
Topic Summary: Advance your theories here
Created On: 05/04/2024 04:48 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/21/2024 08:03 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Little bit of a wave in your neck of the woods today I see?

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

05/21/2024 02:52 PM

SurfCaster

Joined Forum: 02/02/2007

Originally posted by: WD321

https://www.visitspacecoast.com/blog/39-million-beach-restoration-project-protects-wildlife-while-protecting-way-of-life/

Article written by the tourist board quoting pro-development politicians and lobbyists

"If I say it's safe to surf this beach, captain, then it's safe to surf this beach!"
 05/22/2024 06:23 AM

mp2115

Joined Forum: 05/29/2009

I am looking forward to this hurricane season. That is our surf trip in our own back yard. Its coming ladies and gentleman. Can't wait!
 05/22/2024 09:28 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

No empirical evidence to support, but... . Sea level is rising and barrier island transgression has been prevented through stabilization. Natural sand replenishment is prevented by Port Canaveral and sand renourishment is insufficient to meet demand. This leads to a narrow steep beach and nearshore topography that might not be as surfy as a more natural beach. Might is probably an important word in that sentence.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 05/23/2024 06:18 AM

Cole

The biggest difference, to me anyway, is the smaller days. I was a little wave aficionado and had boards specially made for the smaller stuff. That smaller stuff no longer exists. The average bar isn't ever ride-able till the swell reaches chest high. I miss the little peelers.

I was right.
 05/23/2024 12:41 PM

johnnyboy

I got more than a few little peelers this morning in Ft. Pierce. Very little company there too. Felt like I was stealing from summer flatness.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

05/25/2024 06:12 AM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

I was one of the local Surfrider folks that worked with the county 5-10 years back to update their sand quality to be more in line with IR county which was more amenable for turtles, not surfers. One thing I noticed is dredged material has organic material that might initially pass the larger grain size sieve, but the sun and beach dynamics break it down into smaller sizes that don't react favorably to what our "usual" sand was. You can look at hindcasts to see waves and average sizes, but I've not compared anything. Looking to the future when I can get back in the water again due to my recovery taking some time. then it will be up to 7 surfers.
 05/26/2024 05:11 AM

SurfCaster

Joined Forum: 02/02/2007

Originally posted by: pompano

I was one of the local Surfrider folks that worked with the county 5-10 years back to update their sand quality to be more in line with IR county which was more amenable for turtles, not surfers. One thing I noticed is dredged material has organic material that might initially pass the larger grain size sieve, but the sun and beach dynamics break it down into smaller sizes that don't react favorably to what our "usual" sand was. You can look at hindcasts to see waves and average sizes, but I've not compared anything. Looking to the future when I can get back in the water again due to my recovery taking some time. then it will be up to 7 surfers. [IMG][/IMG]

How often do they re-assess the sand quality? Before every renourishment? Is Surfrider still involved and can they provide feedback? Hope you're back in the water soon Pomps.

I'm with Cole. It's been my anecdotal observation that we still get waves, but the low tide sandbar peelers that represent the majority of our surf opportunities appear to be gone and it seems to me that renourishment is the culprit. Hopefully we can find sand that suits turtles and surfers or some other fix, cause we know the big money beachfront is going to get their dirt dumps. I could of course be jumping to conclusions but I hear a lot of agreement.

"If I say it's safe to surf this beach, captain, then it's safe to surf this beach!"

Edited: 05/26/2024 at 05:13 AM by SurfCaster
 05/26/2024 07:22 AM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

any sand dumping, dredge or trucked is supposed to be sieved prior to dumping. I've not personally been involved in any of those measurements, and Surfrider hasn't been a part of any continuous monitoring for the mid reach. At the time, we just met with the county folks and some actual civil engineers that worked with beach and lagoon processes to try to make the sand grain guidelines more amenable to them dumping decent sand. The county does have a bunch of info about sand dumping.
https://www.brevardfl.gov/NaturalResources/Beaches/RestorationProjects
FORUMS : Surfing : What happened to the waves?

<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146510 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .