Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 1970s Surf Movies @ Surfside Playhouse
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/10/2017 12:05 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/10/2017 12:05 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

chefjoe7

Joined Forum: 01/24/2009

I probably went to every single surf flick at Surfside Playhouse between 1970 and 1975.

One segment of one of those movies replays in my mind every time I listen to any Neil Young music...and I'm hopelessly stumped on which movie it was!

I'm pretty sure the clip is of a very young Jackie Dunn tearing up a small left, maybe Rocky Point or Rock Piles while "Old Man" by Neil Young plays in  the background.

Can anyone help jog my old brain???

Signed,

"Still stoked at 60"

-------------------------
 07/20/2017 08:46 AM

IHBPatrick

Joined Forum: 05/14/2009

Can't help with the ID of the surfer. But it did stir up some old memories! I grew up in SatBch, starting in '62. Caught the surf bug and have been riding that wave ever since.

When a surf movie came to the Playhouse, it was a major event in our lives. You'd put on your Levi's cords and Hang Ten shirt and blast off to CB.

You should've seen the stink-eye we got from the CB surf crew. The tribe was so small back then, everyone knew everyone else who surfed in their town. And they knew we were not locals (read: not from CB)

We minded our P's and Q's, we were severely outnumbered. Never had any problems despite the heavy vibe.

On one particular movie night, had to be mid to late sixties, because we weren't driving yet. One of our "crew", who we really couldn't stand, showed with a trench coat, sunglasses and white zinc oxide on. He caught more crap from the CB locals than the toilet in a bus station. I'm glad to say he never lived it down.

I just went to the latest surf movie at the Playhouse. It definitely is not the same. For one thing, no one threw anything, whistled or fired up a joint. The CB locals had some brass ones.

08/20/2017 02:12 PM

chefjoe7

Joined Forum: 01/24/2009

IHBPatrick,

We lived on Park Ave in Sat Bch in '63. I was only 6 years old and had just started surfing. My 3 older brothers had been surfing for a few years at that time and were really good...well, the 2 oldest bros were anyway.
Leo and Fernando (Ferd or Nando) were their names, ring a bell?

08/22/2017 06:41 AM

IHBPatrick

Oh, yeah, I surfed Hamburg House with both your brothers. I think Fernando was a year ahead of me at SHS. As I recall, he was quite good, which is saying something because HH had a pretty prolific crew.

I'm sure we know some of the same characters. Rockhead ring a bell?

11/01/2017 10:23 AM

MyCatSprays

Joined Forum: 04/16/2015

Tales Of The Seven Seas; my first flick there as a grom; 7 or 8. My Dad's hair was longer than my Mom's. Bruce Valuzzi, (RIP), rode with me in the backseat of my Dad's 72' charger!! It was surreal and extremely smokey!!! EVERYONE was smoking joints and drinking wine from those round bottles wrapped in wicker rope,(Not me, I was 7 or 8). We left there and went to Tippys Taco House, (now Taco City), for the "After Party"! More joints and rope wrapped wine!!! I had that poster on my wall from then until I moved to Cocoa as a teen!! I lived on the beach at 14th Street south then!! I remember it so vividly like it was last night!! Lopez and Hakman were my heroes after that until I saw Rabbit win the Floida Pro at the Inlet the following Labor Day!! After watching that comp live, I was a Bugs and Buttons fan for life!!! Good Times!!! Thnx for starting this thread!!!

Tubes, Boobs, & Doobs!!!

Edited: 11/02/2017 at 07:36 AM by MyCatSprays
 11/05/2017 02:50 PM

all3

Joined Forum: 12/28/2011

The Florida Surf Filmfest will be showing movies at the Surfside Playhouse on Noc. 16th. Not sure what movies they will show, some selections from the full menu showing on Nov. 10th and 11th in NSB

"I remember South Africa in the late 70's, sleeping on the beach at J-bay, smoking ganja with the blacks. On weekends we'd go to the pub in East London to drink beer and fight with the Afrikaners. They liked to fight, I liked to fight. It was a good time"
 11/05/2017 03:39 PM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

We used to start at the Little League fields across the street with Mateus and/or Lancers wine and a few toasties. After the movie we would convince ourselves that there were DEFINITELY going to be waves in the morning. It seems like the movies must have been in June or July, because there were NEVER waves the next morning (even though we did the dawn patrol at every spot between south Cocoa Beach and the Inlet). Every generation says it was better "back then" but, those movies were happenings, not just movies; much better than watching them in the living room or on the computer. When the Hall of Fame did Five Summer Stories a few years ago (at the library), I figured, "Yes, another happening!" I called to see how early we had to get there to make sure we had a seat, but, was told there would be no problem. I couldn't believe it, so, my wife and our friends made sure to get there early. Unfortunately, they were right; plenty of seats. Not everything was better "back in the day", but, surf movies surely were.
 11/07/2017 12:18 PM

IHBPatrick

I believe the movie at Surfside Playhouse on the 16th is Bunker77 (Bunker Spreckels). Should be some really good 70's surfing and excess! Google Bunker for some background, pretty fascinating.

11/16/2017 02:16 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

COOL!!

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life

Edited: 11/16/2017 at 02:30 PM by stokedpanda
 11/24/2017 05:59 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Bunker, yes. He was doing it long before any of us even thought of it!!!!!

Dora Hates You
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .