Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Your first surfing experience...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/03/2007 07:00 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/11/2007 02:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

laundrymatt

Joined Forum: 08/27/2006

Cocoa Beach on a 6'8" Sunset single fin pintail. I could hardly get my arm around it to carry it down the beach. I was not allowed to wear a leash cuz my stepdad said I was too small and it would drag me under. Of course he pushed me into every set and I chased that damn board to the beach every time. I think he was riding a Lightwave, probably about 8'6".

-------------------------
I love animals............They're delicious!
 05/16/2007 08:27 AM

KP

Joined Forum: 07/28/2006

83' Oceanside Harbor--5'7 Seaside something or other (from cardiff Ca)........stood up first wave and was hooked. It had the martin potter zig zag but was pink and yellow. Twinnie with a box for the 3rd.

Even better, pushing my daughter into a wave (age 7) and she rode it the 8' LB to the shore and hopped off like "what"?!?!

Time and tide wait for no one.....

Edited: 05/16/2007 at 08:37 AM by KP
 05/24/2007 02:45 PM

Summer Swell?

Joined Forum: 04/10/2007

† <0)))><

Live Strong
Surf Strong
Love Wins
 05/24/2007 02:49 PM

Summer Swell?

Joined Forum: 04/10/2007

hah

i remeber it was right after a wakeboard competition we went to our local lake to wakeboard. i went to my grandmas house on the lake and my uncles old 56 cb was in their boat house. i asked if i could have it and he looked at his stomach (250 pounds worth) laughed and said its all yours. the next week we went to cocoa and i caught my first wave on little rollers that never even broke and started jumping up and down on the front thinking it was the collest thing ever.

haha i miss that

i think i was better then that i am now

† <0)))><

Live Strong
Surf Strong
Love Wins
 05/24/2007 06:39 PM

faceplant101

Joined Forum: 05/16/2007

It wasitn that long ago that i caught my first fulll wave with my youth pastore at seconds light -3 foot waves i caught one and poped up and started freekign out that i caught a wave. good times good tiems

2nd light is the new pipe

Need Fast Money? http://www.varolo.com/village/Stickybumps Get your friends to click adds !!! Easy,quick, and FREE!!! Has a A Rating for the Better Business Bauer !!
 06/07/2007 04:53 PM

Coquina

Joined Forum: 06/05/2007

My older brothers had to babysit me sometimes so whatever they did I had to do also. The Christmas when I was ten, one of them bought me a seriously used red board from the old man that rented rafts & boards behind the Holiday Inn, CB for $5. Best gift I ever received. It was the gift that kept on giving. Going on 32 years now.
 07/01/2007 10:10 AM

WILP

Joined Forum: 12/02/2004

1965 I was 11. My dad rented me a 8'8" red Atlantic from Juno Surf Shop. Mrs. Butterworth and Tommy were there and she still comes in at 80 plus years old today. They had only been open 1 year then. I paddled out at Juno where the pier is today. The original Juno Pier was about a mile south of the current one. It was 2-3 ft swell with 1 ft of chop on top. Fought like hell to get out, got thrown over the falls about 10 times and then got to my feet. I have been chasing the dream ever since. I got a 9'6" Dewey Weber in 1966. Real heavy volan glass. I surfed the Ship from 1966-1971 when they finally pulled the keel out to sea. It was a WW2 Liberty ship that stranded on Singer Island in 1965. It made a perfect left sand point break that would break for 200 yards on a nice north swell. There were two clubs in town that I remember. Possum's Reef and Sandy Shores. Doug Soverel was a Holmsey team rider and had a very short Sidewinder. John Senate did the first 360 I ever saw. Mike Bowe was a standout. Kim Nielsen was a Holmsey shaper and had a Vee Bottom model. Skip Leddingham shaped for Holmsey and later started Lower East Side. In 1969 I got a threewheel mailcart, put on some Aloha racks and started my surfari days. Ft Pierce N jetty was a long haul at 35 MPH top end but I did it a lot of times. I could camp in it and drove to O Club twice. I still have the mailcart. I cut down the Weber and made the world's worst short board out of a beautiful log. I still have my 7ft 1969 Holmsey Kaliedascopic Machine. Life was better in Florida in the sixties. I don't feel that way because I am now old. It just was. I am glad I lived then.
 07/10/2007 06:50 PM

Pryfordasurf66

Joined Forum: 06/28/2007

6th grade january first imperial beach san diego, 12 miles north of tijuana 2 miles north of the tijuana river. I had a wetsuit that didn't even fit me a 7 4 funboard and a surf coach who all he said to me was paddle paddle paddle... worked out well
 08/08/2007 03:09 PM

Musashi

Joined Forum: 08/05/2007

• I had fooled around on body boards, rubber rafts, even those white styrofoam 'surfriders' you could buy at Gaskin's drugs back in the day but the real deal was July 4th, 1982 in front of the old Aussie Pine just north of boardwalk Indiatlantic. A 8' foot something Rick Surfboards longboard that belonged to my buddy. Stood up on a two-foot low tide wind chop.
  • Boy..you guys are really dragging the memories out now...
  • Scratchy WFIT on the radio...Larry's Health Food smoothie in hand..watching the Spectrum guys skateboard down Wavecrest underneath the thick strand of Aussie pines...
  • *sigh

"Met my baby in a used car lot, drinking cheap wine and a throwin' rocks"-SCotS

Edited: 08/08/2007 at 03:10 PM by Musashi
  •  08/09/2007 06:32 AM

wshilivedonEC

Joined Forum: 01/24/2007

Used to come over from O-town to NSI with my parents and rent one of those hard blow up rafts from the guy on the beach with the trailer back in 1978 or 1979 think they had a white rope that went around the whole raft, well I was small and I used to stand up on those after watching the bigger guy's Surf. I got pretty good at standing up on those things someone said to my father I should get a surfboard so I did, but it was to late already moved to West Coast and started the surf once and a while thing until I was able to drive.
     08/17/2007 09:37 PM

baddarryl

Joined Forum: 09/27/2003

Pearled on the reef at the Pavilion in Boca. Broke the nose off my friends Nomad (never before ridden) single fin. Paddled in.

First stand up was at Melbourne Shores after 8 full hours of trying my first day with a Sea Shape twin fin from IWS in Deerfield that I saved my paper route money for. Circa 1981. Been stoked ever since.
     08/21/2007 02:11 PM

spurgeon

Joined Forum: 06/05/2006

February 26, 1962 - Lewter's Beach, East Ocean View, Norfolk VA (North facing beach at the entrance to Chesapeake Bay).
    My buddy Joe Guerra got his brand new "Ten Toes" popout off the purple delivery truck that afternoon and we immediately hauled it 2 blocks to the beach. We had heard that you had to wax it, and Bowling Alley wax didn't help, so we took some of his mother's beeswax from her sewing kit and rubbed it on as best we could (the wax was real hard and the weather and water were very cold, so it was not an easy or particularly effective job).
    It was windy, bumpy, and mushy, but we took turns getting thrown off into the frigid water. We managed to get a few brief rides before we had to come in, puke our guts out and drag our shivering selves home. We couldn't even talk about it til the next day, because neither on of us could make intelligible sounds through the hypothermia.
    You'd think that would have put us off surfing forever, but we both couldn't wait to do it again. In fact it wasn't long after that that we somehow escaped death trying to surf the infamous "Ash Wednesday" storm (March '62?). I guess its better to be lucky than smart.
     08/22/2007 09:51 AM

Uncle Salty

Joined Forum: 09/19/2005

Maybe late 60's three of us carrying a longboard from Greenway to Pet Den on the hot road, no shoes. Trying to catch waves paddling tandom on the board.
     08/24/2007 08:54 AM

Ace

Joined Forum: 08/05/2007

15yrs old at jetty park. board was a 5'10 MTB twin fin. about 3 foot and on the 2nd wave just as I was trying to stand up I saw a big dark shadow below me so I went in. Just the first of many close encounters.

Brian
     09/03/2007 06:20 PM

pudgeroid

Joined Forum: 08/07/2006

My oldest brother and a partner owned the first real surf-shop in Ft. Pierce, (Banzai). I started on a banana yellow Jim Campbell pop-out. Doug Haught was his shaper. Doug moved to Santa Cruz and from what I heard was a pioneer of the sail-board.

"You know some people are different now ain't that a cryin' shame, but wouldn't it be a real drag if we were all the same."
     09/05/2007 09:31 PM

whip618

Joined Forum: 08/16/2003

A friend won a new Murphy board at the Eau Gallie home show in 1963 so we took it out the next day after school behind what used to be the Bahama Beach Club in Indialantic.

He sold the board a few months later and as far as I know never surfed again but I stayed with surfing all these years and wish I had that old "Murph the Surf" board now.
     09/10/2007 07:49 AM

driftwoodninesix

Joined Forum: 10/07/2003

found a longboard in 1975 in the ditch behind a house we just moved into in myrtle beach,took myself and another friend to drag it to the water weighed like what felt like 100lbs.
     09/14/2007 04:31 AM

Mama G

Joined Forum: 01/21/2006

GREAT stories everyone!
    WILP, we must have surfed together at some point in our lives. The Amaryllis was one of my favorite breaks.
    Isn't it amazing how we seemed to always have surf, but when I realize we went out in ANYTHING at all, I guess most people would never
    call that stuff "surf".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flsurferzmom/
    flsurferz@gmail.com
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" Dr. Seuss
     09/28/2007 08:05 AM

Keveroonus

Joined Forum: 01/19/2007

Whatsup! took some of the younglings from our church to the beach after church one day. We all went surfing, some couldn't do it. I was able to stand up and ride straight on his 6'7" George Robinson. It was so much fun. At the end of the day, he sold the board to me. I went surfing everyday for a two weeks straight.

I don't know if I ever said thanks. Thanks Sean, you rock. Tell me all about ESA when you get back if you're not back already.
     10/10/2007 08:32 PM

WILP

Joined Forum: 12/02/2004

MAMA G, we were in the same crew. Possums Reef ,Sandy Shores surf clubs, those were the days.
    FORUMS : Surf History : Your first surfing experience...

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next Last unread
    Topic Tools Topic Tools
    Statistics
    146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
    There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .