Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Need Info/History on Oceanside Surfboards, Cocoa Beach, FL
Topic Summary: 1960's Board Manufacturer
Created On: 12/12/2007 10:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/12/2007 10:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

DownSouthSlidah

Joined Forum: 09/16/2006

Hi All,

I have an opportunity to buy two Oceanside Surfboards 60's era boards. One is a near 10 foot triple string pintail with a big, raked, resin fin (black) in about a 7.5/10 shape and an 8' hull (thick and piggy) shape with a Variset fin, glue line stringer, in 6.5/10 shape [the board is in great shape except a big nose ding that somebody repaired with codicil (sp?) - aaargh!]. No leash plug on either board - so no ruination there. Very little water damage to either board. Some small dings and heelies on each board. They will both be riders for me.

The 10 footer was surfed at my local break for a few years after its birth and has been in the original owner's house since that time. He wants a good home for it. I feel that I can provide it. It hasn't seen the water in almost 40 years and the last time was in a big swell right where I surf - got to love the history and the chance to reintroduce the old girl to her stomping grounds.

Just wondering as to the history of the brand (Oceanside Surfboards, Cocoa Beach).

Thanks for any input.

J

-------------------------

Edited: 12/12/2007 at 10:05 PM by DownSouthSlidah
 12/13/2007 04:46 AM

1nut

Joined Forum: 07/19/2006

I had one it was a nice riding board. it was a 9'6".

"It's the only world we've got. Protect it while we can. It's all there is and there ain't no more." Jello Biafra
 12/13/2007 04:49 AM

1nut

I might be wrong on this but I think soomeone told me that Pat O'hare shaped for them... But like I said that could be wrong.. I am sure someone will have more info. and correct me if I am wrong on this.

"It's the only world we've got. Protect it while we can. It's all there is and there ain't no more." Jello Biafra
 12/13/2007 08:55 AM

freesurfs

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Oceanside...
One of the more popular boards here mid-sixties thru early 70s.
Sand floor with large stepping stones in da shop.
Lotsa hot guys rode for Feinberg.

... positioning and selection

Edited: 12/13/2007 at 10:39 AM by freesurfs
 12/13/2007 09:01 AM

bob3000

Joined Forum: 07/13/2004

ahhh, the old Oceanside surf shop. lots of good memories for me
there...

*note: not positive, but i think it was *Feinberg. *

(i lived next door to them for 3 years back in the 70's.)

nice neighbors. Wonder whatever happened to them....

there was a very cool board inside the shop that had the whole story
of Alice in Wonderland painted on it. probably a very early airbrush.

people would travel from all over just to come in and look at that board.

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
 12/13/2007 09:16 AM

seabeans

Joined Forum: 04/22/2004

I had 2 oceanside boards. A 7' 11'' JAVALIN , that had a mean streak in it, much like a bucking bronc in a rodeo. Its sole mission seemed to be eject the rider asap. The other a 9' 6'' SPOILER, a noserideing dream. Made in rockledge . The shop was in todays N/A location, and the old HAWAII shop. good times!

12/13/2007 09:33 AM

OldManRiver

What a great place- Marjane and Mike Margolis- they always treated me great and I was just a dorky kid. I bought my first new board from them in '69- a short board- beautiful maroon colored twin fin. They were so great ot me- they let me pay $10 a week on that board until I had paid it off, but they let me take it out and surf it all day and then bring it back at the end of the day. They gave me a free bar of wax every week as well! Those are some good memories. I remember hearing the surf reports in Orlando from them, always ending with "This is Mike Margolis (or Marjane) from Oceanside Surf Shop, Cocoa Beach!"

He just keeps rolling along...
 12/13/2007 01:30 PM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

I got my first custom board from Oceanside in 1968. Beautifull green 9'4" pintail with Greenough fin. I put some templated, pattern orange slipcheck on the nose. Great memory. I sure wish I had that board. Mom got rid of it in a garage sale.....

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 12/13/2007 06:39 PM

BalsaBill

Founded by Bill Feinberg in the early sixties. He and his wife Marjane ran the business until about 1983 when they sold everything and took off on a sailboat for points south. They're still cruising the islands and occasionally come through Brevard and stop in for a visit.

The retail shop was where Natural Art is now. Roger Bakst, Mike Margolis and then Jim Maher ran the store in Bill and Mar's absence (they liked to cruise in their sailboat, even back then).

The factory was originally in Rockledge. After a couple of fires (purportedly arson), they moved to a factory in Eau Gallie. They also made boards under the Ron Jon label for the Cocoa Beach retailer in their factory before opening their own retail store at the south end of Cocoa Beach.

In 1970, they started selling G&S's in the retail store and offered them along with their own Oceanside boards. Later they added Hobie's.

In 1971 or '72, they closed their factory and subcontracted the building of their Oceanside boards to G&S in San Diego.

Some of their popular models over the years included: The Spoiler and the Javelin.

Some of their shapers included: Johnny Rice, Wayne Land and Pat O'Hare. Dean Ward and Tomb and Reeves also worked in the factory at various times.

Wooden Boards for Iron Men
 12/13/2007 07:29 PM

DownSouthSlidah

Joined Forum: 09/16/2006

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. I knew these boards had some cool history. I am going to pick them up just for that. I love hearing these old tales of yesterday. I own a DVD called "It Was Better Back Then" - cool vid of 70s surfing in Central Florida.

Keeping the stoke alive! I will post pics as soon as I can.

J

12/14/2007 03:00 AM

bob3000

Joined Forum: 07/13/2004

thanks for the update, BB.
when i was a grom, not only did they also give me the free wax weekly,

(thanks Bill & Marjane!!)

but they had one of the first plastic kayaks in the neighborhood.
Bill said i could use it when he wasn't , and it led me to many a
Tom Sawyer type trip- into the Thousand Islands for me.

And they often took us for rides out in the river in their Hobie Cat, too.

nex time they pass thru tell them hi from an old ex neighbor.

good times, thanks for the memories!

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
 12/14/2007 05:08 AM

1nut

I love it when things like this get posted

12/14/2007 07:05 AM

eibla

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

I was an 0-side shop rat as well. They had a team back then that included Greg Loehr, DCB, Mark Rhodes...and...a teenage Jeff Crawford (who was the ding guy)! I bought several boards from Bill & Marjane, one being a Skip Frye G&S egg that ended up getting stolen. Wonder what that puppy would be worth today in decent shape. Any of you fossils remember the 0-side Water Skate model? Thick down rails rails, scooped out deck. I could never it very well, but Crawford could! Of course Jeff would look good riding a wooden step ladder.

I bumped into Bill and Mar at the gas station at the corner of S. PAt drive and E.G. Blvd a few years back. At that time they were visiting from their home in Colorado. Mar's brother John still lives in the area.

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness -
John Kenneth Galbraith
 12/14/2007 07:18 AM

BalsaBill

Originally posted by: eibla
Any of you fossils remember the 0-side Water Skate model? Thick down rails rails, scooped out deck. I could never it very well, but Crawford could! Of course Jeff would look good riding a wooden step ladder.

The Waterskate was a G & S.

If you do a search on Swaylocks you'll find something I wrote on it a while back. Interesting story in itself.

12/14/2007 08:19 AM

eibla

Will do...thanks Bill.

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness -
John Kenneth Galbraith
 12/14/2007 08:27 AM

Sedgee

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

They had the official "Surf Report" hotline back in the early '70s. It was an answering machine, phone # 784-2400. You'd dial (LITERALLY dial! These were dial phones!), get a busy tone .... dial again .... you could almost tell how good the waves were by how long you had to fight the busy tone before you actually got the recording Then there was the time that I had gotten so many busy tones, I expected to hear another busy tone .... and HUNG UP on a good connection! Aaaargh!
Then we moved up in the world, got a push-button phone (yeah!) and I discovered the "redial" feature Life was good back then ...

Oh yeah - I had a Javelin too, that somebody had cut about the last foot of the tail off of, made it into like a diamond-tail. It was my 2nd board.

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

Edited: 12/14/2007 at 08:29 AM by Sedgee
 12/14/2007 08:29 AM

eibla

Originally posted by: BalsaBill

Originally posted by: eibla

Any of you fossils remember the 0-side Water Skate model? Thick down rails rails, scooped out deck. I could never it very well, but Crawford could! Of course Jeff would look good riding a wooden step ladder.

The Waterskate was a G & S.

If you do a search on Swaylocks you'll find something I wrote on it a while back. Interesting story in itself.

Found a post you did on the G&S Magic Ryder (I had one of those to...GREAT board), but not the water skate.

John Kenneth Galbraith
 12/14/2007 12:25 PM

BalsaBill

mmm I don't remember doing one on the Magic Ryder, (that's what happens when you turn 60) but I do have an old G&S flyer with photos of Skip Frye holding a Gypsy Ryder, Larry Gordon holding an Easy Ryder and me holding a Magic Ryder. Yes it was a great board.

I'll search for the Waterskate post I did. It was an interesting board and an even more interesting story to go with it.

12/14/2007 12:30 PM

bluehatchback

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

Bill,,

I will bring the Frye footage I fixed for ya to the party...

Making it too, without love in a dream it will never come true.
 12/14/2007 12:32 PM

BalsaBill

Here's the Swaylocks Forum thread on the Waterskate: http://www.swaylocks.com/forum...ring=BalsaBill;#175253

Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .