Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Newquay, England album
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/19/2017 11:46 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/19/2017 11:46 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Cheap quickie vacation.  An eye problem kept me on shore, but it was an interesting first look at southwest England (Cornwall).   Flickr.    The town has several beaches facing different directions, some protected by headlands.  Fistral had the most wind and the most substantial waves.  Others were gentler, smaller.  There's a huge tidal range, which makes for very broad beaches at low tide and favors mushy waves, like at Daytona except the tidal range is far greater.

Rode the coast bus down to respectable St. Ives and back.  Did the Culture stuff, took photos from the bus.  The town seemed stuffed with retired tourists.  Flickr

06/19/2017 04:31 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Very nice! Did you catch the water temp?

-------------------------
I was right.
 06/19/2017 05:03 PM

ww

I was happy to have thin booties for walking along the waters' edge with shorts.  Supposedly around 55-57.  If it weren't for my eye, I it would have been fun to get wet.  I brought along a 4/3 wetsuit.

Edited: 06/23/2017 at 09:18 PM by ww
 06/29/2017 04:24 PM

JBSURF

Joined Forum: 10/11/2004

Great travel pix, surprised to see palm trees?

-------------------------
I've decided to accept the fact - I'll always be a big kid!
 07/07/2017 10:11 PM

ww

I was expecting Trachycarpus, the Chinese windmill palm that grows well in Seattle, so took a bad photo of the biggest one I saw in St. Ives.  I was hoping to perhaps see a New Zealand nikau palm, but those probably aren't quite hardy enough.   

The photos were interesting for editing.  Sun flecks were really valuable.  At least with normal use of Lightroom, you can't invent good sunlight.  But you can do a lot with shots that were somewhat underexposed--a few ended up quite handsome.  

Flickr lets you see how many times each photo was viewed.  The supermarket photo is the champ, followed by a really lifeless one of the lifeguard station at Fistral beach.  It's mid-day and there's no one in sight.  Crummy weather.  Of course it might have been sunny five minutes later.  A beach shower shaped like a pair of flip flops (Havaianas Brasil) got lot of clicks.  In terms of editing, I liked the results on this one.  

The photo, and a bunch of others, was taken while I was waiting for the train, which went all the way to London.  The station was across the street.

Great Western Beach, Newquay

Edited: 07/08/2017 at 10:05 PM by ww
 07/08/2017 02:49 AM

GreenLantern

Joined Forum: 10/02/2007

All the pictures were nice.
Thanks for sharing.

Perhaps the reason the supermarket photo seemed to have the most views
is because you posted it in the Publix thread.
Those views count too.

07/08/2017 11:16 AM

ww

The Publix thread did well as flat week entertainment.  

There's always a chance of some good skimboarding at local beaches and I finally have a good GoPro setup.  

This March 9, 2014 photo remains one of the most popular at 402 views. Used lens, camera body bought refurbished.  Great skimming performance, super light.  Supposedly editing programs can make up for not-so-good lighting.  I don't believe it.

skim

Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .