Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: My camera is feeling flattered
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/28/2019 05:48 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/28/2019 05:48 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

I have a minority camera, an Olympus. Small sensor, compact body, compact lenses. Easy to carry around. They don't sell very many. Then again, serious water photogs seem to gravitate to the most expensive Nikons and Canons.
    Turns out Salty and Nimar have surf housings. Salty looks to be pretty much a custom shop.
    Me, no budget for very expensive boxes so a very expensive camera can go swimming. But it's nice to know that someone out there is presumably buying such boxes and taking cameras like mine into the surf.
    By the way, a fresh Box of Light blog email came brand it occurred to me to check Derek Morrison's comments on gear. He has reviews on two Canon models, one rather comparable to my camera in terms of price and image quality. Gear
    Anyway, here's a photo taken Jan. 3, 2018 with my older camera with less-good autofocus and a lens that's a bit soft. I was expecting to take a few shots and leave the camera in the car. Instead spent much of the day shooting. Afternoon light was outstanding, though I made a mistake by saving files in .jpg rather than RAW format. This image has focus on the board and foot, not face. Not good.
    Another upgraded edit. Small wave, perfect sun.

Edited: 06/01/2019 at 10:38 PM by ww
 06/07/2019 11:47 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Great lighting. What did it cost? Your camera that is..

-------------------------
I was right.
 06/09/2019 01:28 AM

ww

That setup is slightly obsolete. The replacement camera body, the Olympus OM-D E-M1II, is currently $1,500 for the body and the 75-300 mm lens can be bought refurbished from Olympus for $550. Reviewing those photos, image quality on well-focused photos is almost as good as I'd get with a more expensove lens. Anyway, a better heritage lens, a 40-200, can be had from KEH for $420, plus $180 for a new adapter (four thirds to micro four thirds).
    I bought my first Olympus camera in 2014 when the OM-D system was introduced. The first camera body was compact, water resistant (and so were a couple of lenses), and resonably affordable. Lenses are also compact and relatively affordable. The downside, a small sensor size (micro four thirds), shared with Panasonic, which uses it for a line of cameras that tend to be oriented toward video, where Olympus caters more to still photographers.
    Sony doesn't bother with weatherproof, but their camera sales have been doing very well at a time when other's are hurting and their cameras are very respected. Salty housings has a blog, and one entry explains the value of relatively a relatively cheap Sony alpha 6000 for use in the water. Similarly, the formidable Derek Morrisson has some nice things to say about using a (relatively) affordable Canon instead of the horribly expensive one.

Edited: 06/09/2019 at 01:37 AM by ww
 12/02/2019 04:20 AM

ww

Lately, it's been possible to get the OM-D E-M1II, Olympus's top camera (apart from the $3000 E-M1X), refurbished from Olympus for just over $1000. Or you can get the new E-M5III for about $1000; it has almost all the features you need, same sensor. That E-M1X has some features for action photographers. It can shoot still photos at an astonishing rate, thanks to having two processors instead of one. The owner of Salty Surf Housings has brought KINECT accessories back for GoPro.

Edited: 12/02/2019 at 04:22 AM by ww
 03/26/2020 12:58 PM

ww

Super-cheap nonstop flight from Orlando meant getting to do this panorama from a church tower (161 steps). Houses of Parliament in the middle, with Westminster Abbey to the left of the tall tower. The buildings toward the right are Lambeth Palace, the office and home of the Church of England's Archbishop of Canterbury. Farther to the right poking into the sky is the Shard, the tallest building in London.
    On the far side of the bridge, you can just barely see a Canary Island date palm in the middle of a traffic circle. The original image is a whopper. You can see the Union Jack flying atop Parliament in detail.

Edited: 03/26/2020 at 01:07 PM by ww
Statistics
146493 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .