Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: North Shore
Topic Summary: booked baby
Created On: 02/04/2014 09:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/04/2014 09:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Buckets

Joined Forum: 01/03/2008

I'm flying out on 2/12 for a week with one buddy to visit another buddy of mine who has lived in Honolulu for about 7 years. I'm sure he has the place down somewhat, but being Feb, I wanted to ask if anyone had any experiences with some of the lesser known breaks, that may be less crowded than the more famous ones. I'm sure we're going to give pipe, rocky point or OTW a session or two, but I'd like to catch more waves on this trip, rather than sit bobbing in the lineup with 50 pros on a main peak.

Thanks guys for any input! Stoked to be headed to the North Shore. Pics/vid will be posted upon return.

-------------------------
Sunshine makes me high.
 02/04/2014 10:16 PM

IHBlocdogg

Joined Forum: 06/08/2010

Just pack a solid pair of steel balls for north shore in feb!! I surfed pipe/backdoor  in April headhigh and fun  but no way would I want a piece of heavy overhead barrels.Their is no real uncrowded spots as the North Shore in feb and it's a island so everybody knows every spot plus some.But drive around up there and pull off every few mins it's unreal!! Take pics!! Hopefully it won't be to big!!

Learn to read a buoy and check your winds and tides!!!

02/05/2014 03:59 AM

Seth

Joined Forum: 09/14/2004

02/05/2014 04:02 AM

Seth

Chun's Reef is usually a fairly mellow crowd.
 02/05/2014 07:00 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

PM me I know some gems that few surf, some spots I know you can actually surf alone, trickey paddle outs but worth it.  If pipe is ON you will most likely be watching it from the beach.  I thought I charged until I first saw overhead Pipe,  went down the beach to the sandbar instead. 

If your staying in town get ready for 4am wake-ups to get out of town traffic and get N. SHore at dawn, also do not forget about the East side, Makapu, challenging and fun, even Sandy's can offer a good wave near town.  South shore may even have a freak swell for longbarding or Ala Moana for shorties (with a HEAVY crowd).  Does your friend have camping equipment? I'll share a great campsite 15 mins from all the main breaks.  $18/night

Bookmark this link for the surf forecast  http://www.surfnewsnetwork.com/

Long range http://www.surfnewsnetwork.com/front-page/big-surf-picture

Edited: 02/05/2014 at 08:07 AM by SurferMic
 02/05/2014 07:08 AM

Seth

Haha, for real, the Ala Moana bowl is probably the heaviest crowd on the island.
 02/05/2014 08:28 AM

surfnole

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Take a trip to Kauiu (sp?) and surf Hanelei bay. Several breaks around there.

On my pilgrimage 20+ years ago I was in the water at very first light to beat the crowds. One of my spots was "leftovers"....yeah....but when you are used to surfing FLA it was pretty good and the crowds weren't bad. Got caught inside until exhaustion and ended up beached on a dry reef covered with sea urchins. It took about 1/2 hour laying on my upside down board waiting for the water to float me a couple of inches in order to pull myself closer to shore with my fingertips.

Surfed Ehuakai Beach Park across the channel from Pipeline. Fast and hollow and snapped my board. Lani's is somewhat spread out as there is more than one peak.

There's a whole nother level of surfer and paddling ability there.
 02/05/2014 12:41 PM

tingo

Joined Forum: 09/22/2004

Jockos was no joke......

02/05/2014 01:48 PM

epicsesh

Joined Forum: 09/05/2003

Go Buckets! Take lots o' pics for us haloe folk!

Pretend I wrote something %$#@! hilarious here.
 02/05/2014 06:16 PM

Baggins

Joined Forum: 01/01/2008

Was there in March for my first time last year - mackin' swell upon arrival.  Prayed for swell to drop.  Ended up surfing Haliewa Ali'i Beach Park the most.  Cool crowd - was surprised by the number of East Coast transplants I met there.

02/05/2014 09:46 PM

Buckets

Thanks for the info SurferMic and others. Looks like swell won't be too big upon my arrival next Wednesday. I'm stoked either way.

Sunshine makes me high.
 02/06/2014 06:04 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Some good and bad advice here.......Yes winter is a crowded time, but you're better off in Feb than Nov-Jan.  Like SurferMic said, you can find uncrowed waves, but a little know-how and mobility helps. 

I'm sure your buddy should have it dialed by now, but take a look at some "surf maps" before you go (do they still make the Surfer Mag "surf report" travel things? )  Swell & wind direction makes all the difference in getting some good waves there (and of course size)..... and like he said about H1 traffic, you may want to spend a few bucks and stay up there a few nights during the week.  (yes, like everywhere else weekends are more crowded)

Also, unless you're a grade A charger with the "eye of the Tiger" I wouldn't plan on surfing Pipe when it's "On"..... there's no bobbing around.  You'll see, but it is fun to watch.  oh, and if it's 4ft (hawaiian scale) and sunny you may want to avoid Rockies too..... at least until the clouds come out and the photogs leave

Just bring a good attitude, your nuts, and some REAL size boards (whatever you think you need, get something bigger if you want to catch alot of waves) and you'll have a good time......

02/06/2014 07:23 AM

SurferMic

Good advice about board size, never surfed on anything smaller than a 6'8".  If you do not have a step up board you can rent a pintail at many shops for about 25-30/day.  I had to rent a mini-gun to tackle Sunset.  Sunset is a good option because it is a dry hair paddle out then you can sit near the channel and pick off the ones that swing wide. 

If it gets big, you will be humbled, when the bombs came many of us were running for the safety of the channel while locals and regulars paddled the other way to get a set wave.  One thing for sure you will paddle your arms off each session, from the moment you hit the water until you come back to land was a constant paddle, sounds weird but you may want to go out every day possible before going and just PADDLE for a mile North, mile south repeat, get your arms ready for full time death scramble mode.

If macking Haliewa Ali'i Beach Park OUTSIDE (not the inside cove) is a good option.  Look for the Rock known as "cheese grater rock".  Also a spot I'll share publicly is around the corner (east) of Haliewa Ali'i Beach Park.  Open area of shifty peaks with very few people out due to no real channel, it is heavy but not much different than big Hurricane surf.  I think it is called Lacerations but not 100% sure.  Surfed it at 6-8 faces with two others out until I got washed in and could never punch back through to the outside and gave up. 

I guess I'll let another secret out, the LEFT at V-land is really fun and not too crowded because it is a right.  Just sit way deep and go left and you will not have to swerve through a crowd.  This is a great option if the swell is not huge as V-land gets weird when it is big, caps on the outside and turns the main peak into a washing machine.

One thing for sure is you will come back in great shape from a steady diet of white rice/fish and reef breaks. 

I'm heading back but it won't be until May-June.  Work takes me there a few times a year it seems, plus it is a layover spot when work sends me to Guam.  Anyone want to share South Shore out of the way spots?  Barbers pt?  Please send me a PM!

Edited: 02/06/2014 at 08:14 AM by SurferMic
 02/06/2014 09:07 AM

Plan B

Originally posted by: SurferMic Good advice about board size, never surfed on anything smaller than a 6'8".  If you do not have a step up board you can rent a pintail at many shops for about 25-30/day.  I had to rent a mini-gun to tackle Sunset.  Sunset is a good option because it is a dry hair paddle out then you can sit near the channel and pick off the ones that swing wide. 

Yep.  My board for our "good surf" here ('cane swells, NE Gswells 6ft, etc) is a typical 6-3 x 18 3/4 performance shortboard...... my "go to" board over there is a 6-8 / 6-10.

I'll ride the 6-3 on smaller days @ spots like Rockies / Pupukea etc...... but use a 7-6 for Sunset, big Lani's, Himi's (usually undergunned) etc.....

02/06/2014 10:36 AM

toker

Joined Forum: 09/22/2003

Plenty of empty breaks west of Waialua. Check out Mokuleia beach park across from Dillingham Air Field.
 02/06/2014 02:16 PM

SurferMic

That is a good one, Mokuleia...a bit soft almost better for longboards or fun boards but you can be alone very often on that stretch.  Cool turtles in that area just lazily grazing in the shore-break.  For a good non-surfing activity continue down the road to the Off-Road zone, park and hike out to the point.  Lots of fisherman along the rocky shore but I did not see much being caught. 

Pic of off-road area and an empty break (name with-held, bigger than it looks in the pic)

Edited: 02/06/2014 at 02:44 PM by SurferMic

Offroad_area.jpg
Offroad_area.jpg  (192 KB)
Empty_lineup.jpg
Empty_lineup.jpg  (102 KB)
Home.jpg
Home.jpg  (124 KB)
 02/07/2014 08:50 AM

Plan B

Kona winds in that pic?

02/11/2014 05:50 AM

Plan B

Go charge it brah......

My favorite photo I've taken out there....... I paddled out right after, then of course a rain cloud / trades blew in.  I caught 1 wave that didn't connect through then got cleaned up by 5 waves and washed to the beach. 

Enjoy your trip

02/11/2014 07:21 AM

Kahunaobx

Joined Forum: 04/20/2010

Buckets you will surely catch waves this time of the year. I'm leaving March 3 - 13th. and will be staying in Honolulu. I'm to old to try the North Shore but for sure will be there to watch. I'll be surfing in Honolulu out front of where we're staying. Good luck with the waves.

I lived on Patrick Air force base late 60's and attended Delaura Jr. High, surfed with Jim Tillman, Pete Peterson and Terry Anderson at pinic tables and Patrick pier. Where are you guys?  

02/13/2014 08:31 AM

Buckets

Trip update: we arrived yesterday at 3:00 pm. Went direct to north shore to try and sneak a quick session. Checked Rocked Point, was 2' over head sets, no wind and pretty crowded. It looked killer though. My buddy suggested Backyards for our first warm up session. Was really fun. Mainly head high but sneaker sets caught us off gaurs from time to time. Peaky lefts but mainly rights spread out the small crowd. Water crystal clear. Surfed til dark.

It's 5:20 am now. Swell smallest today. Forecast for head high mainly. Going to check more spots this morning including those suggested above, but a smaller day like today sounds like it might be a good chance to try pipe. I don't think I want to try pipe when it's macking, like the forecast is for tomorrow. Friday calling for D OH+. Can't post pics from my phone but will when I get home next week.

We're off!! Woohoo!!!

Sunshine makes me high.
FORUMS : Surfing : North Shore

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .