Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: At what point do you get a kid a real board?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/20/2014 05:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/20/2014 05:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

baddarryl

Joined Forum: 09/27/2003

Hi all. My daughter is 12 and learning to surf. She currently has a 5'6" Sushi Fish Chinese pop out thing from Costco. She is starting to be able to catch her own waves, go down the line and attempt some turns. I wonder at what point do these craft become a handicap performance wise? I am stoked that she is learning on a short board and am starting to think about getting one for her. She is small and fit so that 5'6" is plenty of float for her though a modern shortboard will have way less volume. Which could be good so she can duck dive. What say you?

Edited: 08/20/2014 at 10:00 PM by baddarryl
 08/20/2014 05:28 PM

lagooner

Joined Forum: 06/06/2005

twelve is not early for surfing anymore (think Noah, Savannah and many of the other groms in the area). I had to go thru several boards before she settled into boards SHE liked. Catching waves is the most important thing you can do for a beginner, turns will come as they progress. Buy a few used boards and let her experiment if your budget allows. Most of all... Surf with her.

-------------------------
Captains Richard & Gina

08/20/2014 06:05 PM

Jack'

Joined Forum: 04/27/2005

Now is the time

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
 08/20/2014 06:49 PM

LagoonSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/06/2009

God no. Four years ago kinda was the time but it's not too late. Let her have some say in the colors. Getting a kid their own real board is the surest way to kick up their surfing and commit them to the sport. Worked for me. So do it now for sure. I'd suggest normally going a little bigger so they can catch waves easier at first and grow into the board at the same time.

But at 12 go for a nice Bilt board. Or.... Bagel was making a REALLY good Speedfish with a lot of float that looks like a regular shorty that's a great idea for your situation. Or better yet an egg in 5-6 or even 5-8 done by maybe someone like Stu Sharpe if you can swing it. I started my kid at 10 and still feel that was late. She's always been an athlete so she's probably like your kid. A versatile all-rounder is IMHO a good call over a potato chip but you'd be amazed at what the kids can pull off in dribble.

I will say this though. My kid went through a 'log only' phase after getting really pissed at a contest she surfed a tater chip in in dribble wave-like things. She just recently got over it. Let that percolate.

Brother, when you get a minute, could I get a list of the words that trigger these fits?

Hey. Where are we going? (And what are we doing in a hand-basket?)
 08/20/2014 07:21 PM

dkaye

Joined Forum: 08/19/2007

4 years ago lol. 

https://www.instagram.com/dj_kaye_/

08/20/2014 07:41 PM

Jack'

Joined Forum: 04/27/2005

get her a used board. Lots of local shops, prolly some nice ones for sale here.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
 08/21/2014 05:11 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Christmas or birthdays work good too....

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 08/21/2014 05:40 AM

Pablote

Joined Forum: 07/19/2009

as soon as YOU, the parent, figure out they are truly interested in learning to do something, ANYthing worthwhile~~ it's like: Dad, teach me to ride a bike ok?! not a trike either, ok?! jus' walk alongside me 'til I fall off an' strawberry my butt, then pick me up and put me back on the thing ok?! before rubber boards, we learned on 'real' boards- and before us, the boys (and Gidget) learned on 50lb take 'ur head off 'planks of wood, iron an' steel plus, they had to trudge through 5' o' snow UPhill there AND back all the time! 8^)

end o' madness?! yeeW!
 08/21/2014 05:58 AM

Surfproducts.Com

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

Have YOU asked HER what she wants to do? Is SHE ready for a real surfboard? One hit to the head with a real board and it turns them off SOMETIMES, depends on how many rides they get before the head hitting happens! I have seen it time and time again.

How tall is she and what does she weigh....

The 5'6" is working but its 3 inches thick and 23 wide? and polystyrene?

An egg in the 6' range might be an option, no points to fall on and plenty o float... if you can find one with a center box and side bytes even better, so she learns to ride single fin and use a rail, throw the side bytes in with a 4.5" fin in center and you gotta a thruster.

I miss finding boards for kids....

http://www.Surfproducts.com
The Future of Surf Shopping
Or come visit
Cocoa Beach Surf & Skate
260 N. Orlando Ave.
 08/21/2014 06:04 AM

baddarryl

Originally posted by: Surfproducts.Com Have YOU asked HER what she wants to do? Is SHE ready for a real surfboard? One hit to the head with a real board and it turns them off SOMETIMES, depends on how many rides they get before the head hitting happens! I have seen it time and time again. How tall is she and what does she weigh.... The 5'6" is working but its 3 inches thick and 23 wide? and polystyrene? An egg in the 6' range might be an option, no points to fall on and plenty o float... if you can find one with a center box and side bytes even better, so she learns to ride single fin and use a rail, throw the side bytes in with a 4.5" fin in center and you gotta a thruster. I miss finding boards for kids....
Some great points. I will look for one of those eggs. Yes it is 3 in thick by 2 feet! Great point about the head though. She suffered 2 concussions this past spring and we are waiting or clearance for karate and softball so I may just leave enough alone for now. That gives time to look anyway. Thanks for the tips on the fins.
 08/21/2014 06:09 AM

baddarryl

Originally posted by: Pablote as soon as YOU, the parent, figure out they are truly interested in learning to do something, ANYthing worthwhile~~ it's like: Dad, teach me to ride a bike ok?! not a trike either, ok?! jus' walk alongside me 'til I fall off an' strawberry my butt, then pick me up and put me back on the thing ok?! before rubber boards, we learned on 'real' boards- and before us, the boys (and Gidget) learned on 50lb take 'ur head off 'planks of wood, iron an' steel plus, they had to trudge through 5' o' snow UPhill there AND back all the time! 8^) end o' madness?! yeeW!
Now THAT is funny! I learned on a 5'4" twin fin when no one rode longboards. Does that qualify?
 08/21/2014 10:52 AM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

After a lot of body surfing and boogie boarding, I got my son his first 6'0" soft top thruster when he was 7 and his first "real board" (a 5'4" STARR with a custom airbrush he likes cuz it's unique) when he turned 9 and still had very strong interest in surfing with dad.  My daughter just turned 7 and has inherited the 6'0" soft top with a new board in her near future if she stays with it.  

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 08/21/2014 06:16 PM

FishOn35

Joined Forum: 07/05/2014

My son just turned 8 and I at first thought he was too young to surf maybe I'll wait a couple years man was I glad I didn't listen to myself!  I bought a real board, a 5' 3 fish (thanks again lagoonsurfer) and lately he has been blowing my mind out there. Also it's great to see his confidence build and how hard he works at it. It is his first board and he takes care of it like a brand new car. I would say the kid a real board for sure you won't regret it man

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .