Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: What's going on with the waves this year?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/01/2014 08:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/01/2014 08:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Ecsrfr26

Joined Forum: 01/24/2010

I could have swarn the waves were better every year for the past 7-8 years, actually as far back as I can remember. It's october now. WTF. Late summer/fall is usually the best time year somebody fill me in. I've never seen it this bad this time of year.

10/01/2014 10:15 PM

tastywaves

Joined Forum: 11/14/2009

Fingers crossed for a good winter surf season. I have a feeling (maybe just desperate hope) that it will make up for our nearly non existent hurricane season 

10/02/2014 03:08 AM

dan

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I disagree....there have been a ton of ride-able days all year.  It seems like I've surfed as much or more this year than I can remember in past years.

10/02/2014 03:14 AM

LagoonSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/06/2009

This year was better than all of 2013 by like March. You might just be dealing with sandbar changes at your favorite breaks.

-------------------------
Brother, when you get a minute, could I get a list of the words that trigger these fits?

Hey. Where are we going? (And what are we doing in a hand-basket?)
 10/02/2014 03:22 AM

Captain Obvious

Joined Forum: 09/19/2005

He may live down south. I talked to a guy in the local surf shop who chronicles the surf each day - and he was saying this was the worst year for this area since '73.

This year has looked good for the 2L area, but the Gulf and South have been weak. Amazing how much difference 100 miles can make.

A horse walks in to a bar. Bartender says "Why the long face?"
 10/02/2014 03:25 AM

dan

^^ Good point....there were a few unfamiliar faces at my home spot last weekend (usually we all know everyone in the water), turns out they were from somewhere down south.  They were frothing over our little swell last weekend saying they haven't had waves in months.

10/02/2014 04:46 AM

ograbac

Absolutely correct. Alot of people like it small and will always say it's better than it was. Obviously there weren't that many swells this year and it's been smaller than usual. We are in October now so we should start getting more swell.
 10/02/2014 04:47 AM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

as far as decent size, we've only had a couple swells this year. Seems like under 5. The rest has been grovel in the waist high zone.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 10/02/2014 05:18 AM

stevea

Joined Forum: 11/20/2009

I happen to agree! small!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the bouncey thing can't seem to grow past three feet of a good 10 + sec swell. I agree too that, plenty of rideable days with the right log. 

In all the jet stream is the cause?.... Thank god its fall!

10/02/2014 05:24 AM

LagoonSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/06/2009

Originally posted by: Captain Obvious

He may live down south. I talked to a guy in the local surf shop who chronicles the surf each day - and he was saying this was the worst year for this area since '73.

This year has looked good for the 2L area, but the Gulf and South have been weak. Amazing how much difference 100 miles can make.

THE DIFFERENCE FIVE MILES CAN MAKE!

Brother, when you get a minute, could I get a list of the words that trigger these fits?

Hey. Where are we going? (And what are we doing in a hand-basket?)
 10/02/2014 05:41 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

A garbage year so far if you like waves with some punch. Decent year for the small wave equipment though.

10/02/2014 05:57 AM

LIV2SURFDT

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

Last year was horrible, I don't think we got any hurricane swells. This year although still slow we got three solid swells with each having one excellent day thrown in. Bertha, Cristobal, and Edouard all produced great surf although not enough. Tons of small days which thanks to a QF Pylon have been a blast.
 10/02/2014 06:14 AM

dbird27

Joined Forum: 08/31/2010

I would say the last 3 years have been absolutely terrible for the most part.  I really onlly make the effort now if it's going to be chest and up since having kids.  Those days have been much less frequent then in the past.  Sure we've had a few swells here and there but the consistency just hasn't been there. 

10/02/2014 06:31 AM

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

We have not had a big winter swell since winter of 2012/13. I think spring of 2013 was last big N swell.
And no large tropical swells since 2012 hurricane season.

In melbeach, the dunes are pretty built up and the sea oats have had some time (and rain) to really set in.
 10/02/2014 06:36 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Originally posted by: LIV2SURFDT Last year was horrible, I don't think we got any hurricane swells. This year although still slow we got three solid swells with each having one excellent day thrown in. Bertha, Cristobal, and Edouard all produced great surf although not enough. Tons of small days which thanks to a QF Pylon have been a blast.

+1 But don't forget Arthur's waves. Every storm this season has produced. Which is rare.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

10/02/2014 06:46 AM

ograbac

Originally posted by: daner

Originally posted by: LIV2SURFDT Last year was horrible, I don't think we got any hurricane swells. This year although still slow we got three solid swells with each having one excellent day thrown in. Bertha, Cristobal, and Edouard all produced great surf although not enough. Tons of small days which thanks to a QF Pylon have been a blast.

+1 But don't forget Arthur's waves. Every storm this season has produced. Which is rare.

Only five named storms.
Ummm.... that doesn't mean much when Eduard was really good, others were not nearly as good. Dolly was non-existent (unless you live in the Gulf and like small mush). In all reality, it hasn't added up to much, if you like waves with balls.
 10/02/2014 08:33 AM

big rick

Joined Forum: 02/20/2005

Originally posted by: dan

I disagree....there have been a ton of ride-able days all year.  It seems like I've surfed
as much or more this year than I can remember in past years.

i agree with dan... i surfed a lot this year and the waves have been good a lot of the time

but i'm not beach side every day

although, i do have a friend that literally surfs every single day and i am sure that when
it's flat, he brings out the fishing poles.

and he's barely used his fishing poles

hey, i don't know if you read this yet ----------> I <3 16streets.com

thank you Sean O'hare

Delicious beer comes from here
 10/02/2014 09:18 AM

coastalsurfer

Joined Forum: 04/22/2013

This year so far seems alot choppier than years past. Every day we have 10-15 mph onshores. It seemed like it went from calm summer winds to front winds like nothing. I think this saturday might be the only forcasted offshores for the next week and its supposed to be gusting up to 19 according to MSW.

10/02/2014 09:56 AM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

My opinion is crap year.  I am a grom at heart and will and do surf one foot waves  but I can separate that joy from reality.   

How many days with buoy over 5 ft? 

How many more than one day swells in the last 6 7 8 months?

Hmmm?  

On the brighter side there could be a nor'easter or hurricane or Bermuda triangle swell any day now.

10/02/2014 10:00 AM

johnny

Joined Forum: 12/31/2004

aye many small swells this year, I've got in the water more than I though I would with a newborn born April 2nd

very few quality swells with size for sure w/ strict windows

IMO Eduardo swell was good for 2 days in cfl
FORUMS : Surfing : What's going on with the waves this year?

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .