Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Medina
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/21/2014 07:33 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/21/2014 07:33 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Buckets

Joined Forum: 01/03/2008

I was watching live during round 3 when he got out of the water early and behind. I assumed he somehow lost track of time and was confused. The camera followed him to a truck and he left within minutes.

It wasn't until yesterday that I actually saw a post heat interview. I guess he left to shower and came back to the contest site. In the interview he said he felt underscored on his wave, which is why he came in with time still on the clock. Not trying to start a hate-Medina thread here, but am I missing something or is this the douche-est move ever?

With 2.5 minutes on the clock, he may have had an opportunity to get into round 4, securing a much better probability of the title this year.

He later said in the interview that he'd rather win at Pipe anyway. If it were me (or anyone IMO), I'd rather clinch it as early as possible. I don't think our sport needs this clown representing us as our champion. Hoping he goes down early at Pipe too.

-------------------------
Sunshine makes me high.
 10/21/2014 07:38 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I haven't watched any of the portugal contest. Thanks for the update.

ON TO PIPELINE!
 10/21/2014 07:40 AM

Central Floridave

2014 Title Race: Portuguese Shakeup

Monday, October 20, 2014

From big upsets to Mick Fanning's (AUS) triumph, the Moche Rip Curl Pro Portugal shook up the World Title race. It now comes down to the wire and the final event of the year, the Billabong Pipeline Masters, where three surfers - Gabriel Medina, Mick Fanning and Kelly Slater - will have a chance to win professional surfing's most coveted prize.

The 2014 Title race scenarios are now as follows:

If Medina finishes 2nd or better at the Billabong Pipeline Masters, he will clinch the 2014 ASP World Title.

If Medina finishes 3rd at the Billabong Pipeline Masters, Fanning will need to win the event and Slater will be out of contention.

If Medina finishes 5th at the Billabong Pipeline Masters, Fanning will need to win the event and Slater will be out of contention.

If Medina finishes 9th at the Billabong Pipeline Masters, Fanning will need to finish 2nd or better and Slater will be out of contention.

If Medina finishes 13th or 25th at the Billabong Pipeline Masters, Fanning will need to finish 3rd to win or 5th to send the title race into a one-heat "surf-off" between himself and Medina.

If Medina finishes 13th or 25th at the Billabong Pipeline Masters, Slater will need to win the event.

more info:

http://www.aspworldtour.com/#!...-update-after-portugal
 10/21/2014 07:42 AM

surfmcc32

Joined Forum: 11/11/2009

Watch his interview on Surfline and decide for yourself..I don't like the guy. How is he in big barrels?

10/21/2014 07:56 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Medina gave Slater a couple of chances in these last few contests for catch up but Kelly couldn't advance beyond Medina's poor showing and didn't make up any ground. Now it is a long shot for anyone to beat Medina.

That said Medina has had a great season and deserves to win if he can do well at Pipe.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

10/21/2014 08:00 AM

Dylan

Joined Forum: 04/10/2004

I could be wrong but I thought he said he left because he thought he had the score. I agree, it was a cocky move leaving before the heat was over. But after watching the heat a few times I think Medina got robbed. Yeah Brett's one barrel was nice but he got way over scored on the left where he did 2 turns. Sometimes I think the judges give out scores so the title race can go to Pipe.
 10/21/2014 08:02 AM

Dylan

Originally posted by: surfmcc32 Watch his interview on Surfline and decide for yourself..I don't like the guy. How is he in big barrels?

Really good. Did you see the Tahiti contest?
 10/21/2014 08:17 AM

Dylan

Also, he didn't say he would rather win at Pipe. He said I was ready to win here but I am prepared for Hawaii. He is 19 or 20 yrs old and speaks English as a second language so that might come into play when judging his attitude. I don't why i'm defending the guy, but if you are gonna hate on somebody at least get your facts straight.
 10/21/2014 08:17 AM

Central Floridave

Slater in that post heat interview said the reason he lost is that he just surfed for 3 hours prior to his heat and was tired. What an idiot move on Slater's part. What professional athlete burns himself out before his event?
 10/21/2014 09:23 AM

dropsolo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I gave up on watching the tour for scoring and cheering on our "heros" a long time ago. 1) about two years back an announcer leaked that they were judging slater on a handicapped scale. 2) the scores are influenced by big business ie: job's rise and fall of fame, john john, rise of this Brazilian brahdude>big business is eyeing Brazil as a potential for expanded market, what better than the champ to be born n bred brazzo

*steps off high horse

I type on fone 99% of time. Let the typos slyde. Thanks

Edited: 10/21/2014 at 09:52 AM by dropsolo
 10/21/2014 10:12 AM

Jack'

Joined Forum: 04/27/2005

Did you see the way Medina surfed against the Costa Rica Wild card at trestles? He play dirty and doesn't mind looking like a douche to get the win

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
 10/21/2014 10:39 AM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

Originally posted by: Dylan

Also, he didn't say he would rather win at Pipe. He said I was ready to win here but I am prepared for Hawaii.

He is 19 or 20 yrs old and speaks English as a second language so that might come into play when judging his attitude.

I don't why i'm defending the guy, but if you are gonna hate on somebody at least get your facts straight.

^this and in response to Jack, it is the nature of the competitve sport. Guys don't go on the football field to play nice, they go on there to win within the rules of the game. All the tour guys play the priority game when things get close at the end.

The language thing definitely makes it hard for him to win over an American audience. To beat the best surfers in the world, you have to be competitive and hungry, or you will just end of soul surfing like Rasta, Dane, or Machade. With that said, I love JohnJohn's approach and attitude, and I hope he can continue to find a balance between laid back appearance and desire to be number 1.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 10/21/2014 11:58 AM

coastiesurfer

Joined Forum: 03/07/2011

This isn't the first time medina got out of the water before the heat was over because he thought he won. If I can find the link or video I will post it here but he has gotten out of the water before the hooter blew thinking he had the score. Even the commentators, as annoying as they may be were saying "wtf he needs to get back out there, this isn't over". If remember correctly he ended up losing that heat as well. I'll look around the archives to see what I can dig up but its a douchey, cocky move by the the little man that may be representing the surfing world very shortly. He may be young but he needs to learn what sportsmanship is. Also, if you had the chance to surf mackin barrels before a title heat after having eleven in the pocket, wouldn't you? I'll work on finding that video

10/21/2014 12:23 PM

Cosmicviking

Joined Forum: 08/17/2013

the Hawaiians put a  smack down on the Ausies when they got to cocky, will they do the same to the Brazilians?

10/21/2014 02:05 PM

BLat

Joined Forum: 10/28/2010

Not sure, but this might have been what Slater was up to before his heat. 

10/21/2014 02:25 PM

oldsufr3

Joined Forum: 08/10/2003

Yea, with the title race on the line, most surfers would give up a surf, even an epic one but Kelly isn't "most surfers". I didn't buy the post interview comment about not knowing he was still in contention. Kelly voodu mind tricks again?

Need more water time. Plenty of time left to make $$
 10/21/2014 02:56 PM

Fletchmon

Joined Forum: 01/27/2007

Originally posted by: BLat Not sure, but this">http://www.surfingmagazine.com...tz-cave-239/">this might have been what Slater was up to before his heat. 

Enjoyed that!
 10/21/2014 03:09 PM

johnny tsunami

Joined Forum: 03/09/2005

Conspiracy Theory: Let Simpo win to get much needed requalification points and keep the interest levels up for Pipe.......
 10/21/2014 03:45 PM

Pablote

Joined Forum: 07/19/2009

well, guess we can forgive him for that- yEEw! my kinda wave! probably doesn't break to often for Kelly not to focus on be'in 100% for his heat, no?!
 10/22/2014 04:08 AM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

That thing was a gaper.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
FORUMS : Surfing : Medina

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .