Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Kelly Slater Might Have Purchased Firewire
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/31/2015 09:18 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/31/2015 09:18 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

"Kelly Slater has been setting himself to be as successful a business man as he is a surfer. In the last few years, he's stuck his toes in the business pool on more than one occasion - from the now defunct VSTR brand and the ever-mysterious Kelly Slater Wave Co. to the more recent non-energy drink energy drink Purps and the non-surf brand surf brand Outerknown. And now rumor has it that he's the majority stake holder in Firewire Surfboards.

Firewire has been a company that's been on the forefront of trying out newer, more environmentally friendly materials in their surfboards, so it makes sense for Slater to align himself with them. The rumor is that the general idea behind the 11-time champ's majority share purchase is to turn the company into one that deals only in eco-friendly boards. But there's a kicker: the boards will be shaped by some of the world's best shapers. Although the rumor-mill is churning, Slater has remained quiet about it. "I'll address the surfboard stuff soon," he told Stab. "It's nothing definite until it's finished and it's a work in progress."

Read more: http://www.theinertia.com/busi...rewire/#ixzz3QPss6VMS

-------------------------
"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 01/31/2015 10:41 AM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

"I'm not a businessman.  I'm a business, man."

FireWire is great product and brand.  People worry about a pro surfer's afterlife and it's gotta be tough for some when they lose that competitive edge (which he's still got!), but I've always felt Slater would be fine and moves like this support that feeling.

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 01/31/2015 11:28 AM

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

01/31/2015 01:06 PM

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

My bedroom already looks like that! Anyone want to buy the Sector9surf collection?

01/31/2015 01:22 PM

Sector9surf

Originally posted by: CERTON "I'm not a businessman.  I'm a business, man."

FireWire is great product and brand.  People worry about a pro surfer's afterlife and it's gotta be tough for some when they lose that competitive edge (which he's still got!), but I've always felt Slater would be fine and moves like this support that feeling.

He has a good reputation, marketable image, a video game, endorsements, and several product lines. He probably doesn't even have to surf contests to make a living but does because he enjoys it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine that it will be hard for him. The WQS, video and magazine or lesser known pros on the otherhand...that has to be tough.

Now when are we going to get that Wavepool built next to Cocoa Beach highschool?

01/31/2015 06:50 PM

SAsurfer

Joined Forum: 02/17/2013

Has anybody tried his Purps energy drink, or even seen for sale anywhere? I'd give it a try but I haven't seen it anywhere.

01/31/2015 07:06 PM

CERTON

I saw it for sale all over la jolla didn't try it

#rydyrstrong
 02/01/2015 03:04 AM

Av8Surf

Joined Forum: 09/05/2014

Be cool if his brother was involved too. I'm surprised they haven't branded a lot more. Wish him the best. 

Trading Surfboards for Bitcoin or Ethereum.

Send me Bitcoin 1Dk8oJnprZfvXGDfZpxkuoko8SSVf5Tpp2

Boards For Sale: SUPs 11 foot and 12 foot BRAND NEW. Fair prices.
 02/01/2015 09:06 AM

Sector9surf

Originally posted by: SAsurfer Has anybody tried his Purps energy drink, or even seen for sale anywhere? I'd give it a try but I haven't seen it anywhere.

I'm pretty sure it's the nearly the same as Harmless Harvest's raw coconut water with a different name brand. It's also purple. Also, it's really good, but about $7/ bottle.

02/02/2015 07:05 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

"FireWire is great product and brand."

"Popouts" have come a long way in quality and user perception.

Remember the surftech flame wars on here a few years back?

All good.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 02/02/2015 07:11 AM

LagoonSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/06/2009

""Popouts" have come a long way in quality and user perception."

Some have. Comparing Tufflite to FST or Timberdeck is kinda like comparing that candy coating on soft serve ice cream to Kevlar though.

Brother, when you get a minute, could I get a list of the words that trigger these fits?

Hey. Where are we going? (And what are we doing in a hand-basket?)
 02/02/2015 07:54 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

True, and a 4oz PUPE channel island isn't going to be 

a Neilson triple 4 top, double 4 bottom stringerless eps/epoxy either,

but I'm sure there a point in there somewhere.

I pointed out surftech because firewire's hadn't been invented at the time of those "discussions".

Ride what you like.  

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 02/02/2015 08:48 AM

VanMetal

Joined Forum: 08/06/2007

welp, glad I haven't sold my old Firewire yet.  Hopefully this happens so the after market value will go up

02/02/2015 10:31 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

I like my firewire, the rails are super tough , they are floaty but souless, and way over-priced. Find a decent used one and all is good.  Great travel board  but actually a bit heavier than what you would expect , at least mine feels heavier than a normal Poly or expoxy custom. must be the material (bamboo?) around the rails.

Interesting enough , was out at V-Land talking with an Aussie who lives on the same street as the creator of Firewire (NEV).  He says he made a gazillion $$$ on those boards , but rarely surfs anymore, lives in a big mansion by the ocean and plays golf all day, has many cars, etc.)  He was surprised when I dissed the board due to the weight.  NEV is most likely the big winner here, do not know the guy but NEV mostly likely paid his dues and deserves the millionare lifestyle.  The Aussie I was chatting with was surprised how NEV made it so big, has all the time and money anyone would need but quit surfring the local break and surfing less in general.  (Disclaimer, this was just a chat with another travelling surfer, no facts to back any of it up)

Edited: 02/02/2015 at 02:40 PM by SurferMic
 02/02/2015 11:03 AM

LagoonSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/06/2009

Originally posted by: tom

True, and a 4oz PUPE channel island isn't going to be 

a Neilson triple 4 top, double 4 bottom stringerless eps/epoxy either,

but I'm sure there a point in there somewhere.

I pointed out surftech because firewire's hadn't been invented at the time of those "discussions".

Ride what you like.  

[IMG][/IMG]

My point is some 'pop outs' have come a long way and...wait for it...some haven't.

Ahh I'm not pissing on anyone's board choice.

Brother, when you get a minute, could I get a list of the words that trigger these fits?

Hey. Where are we going? (And what are we doing in a hand-basket?)

Edited: 02/02/2015 at 11:10 AM by LagoonSurfer
 02/02/2015 11:46 AM

VanMetal

Joined Forum: 08/06/2007

I agree that Firewires were once over-priced, but now adays they are the same price as the Lost and Channel Islands boards (at least at my local shop).  

02/02/2015 02:34 PM

Sector9surf

Why is it that everytime I see a Firewire it's either buckled or being ridden by someone from kooklando

02/02/2015 02:55 PM

CERTON

Originally posted by: Sector9surf Why is it that everytime I see a Firewire it's either buckled or being ridden by someone from kooklando

prob cuz you don't do high tide DP in MB...  I rode one of my many this morn knowing it was going to be a shorepound session and it was nothing but yewwwwwwweeeee and yeeeeeehawwwwww  

the FST models are great travel boards too.   good variety and yet to have an issue during flight.  easy to repair dings after they hit reef/rocks and no pressure dings even after getting ridden hard and banged around pretty good

don't get me wrong, I have 3 custom Mayos (one of which is my favorite board) and a couple other hand shapes too.  p.s. surftech = boo

#rydyrstrong
 02/08/2015 09:07 AM

lawless

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

There are shaper's locally making better boards with similar construction to Firewire's for much cheaper and custom. Neilson, Coil, Sam Barker (3DM), Buehn, etc.

Firewire do a good job at marketing and have crazy consignment terms that most shops can't turn away, but with 10 minutes of internet searching you can find a custom shaper in Brevard County to make you a "Timbertek" who have been doing it much longer and locally for less money than Firewire. They just don't have the marketing $ to get the same exposure.
 02/09/2015 11:51 AM

RogueSurfer

Joined Forum: 01/20/2015

Originally posted by: Sector9surf Why is it that everytime I see a Firewire it's either buckled or being ridden by someone from kooklando

To all the haters out there... After some strong recomendations I recently made the switch from locally shaped custom boards to firewire's.  My reasoning for doing so is pretty simple.  When I pick up a custom shape for $350 ride it for 4 swells in FLORIDA over a two month period and have a broken board or a fin plug busted out (with no damage to the fin itself), I don't see the value in the money I saved vs buying a much stronger "pop out" board from the likes of Firewire.  And I think most will agree that if Kelly does indeed buy the majority stake in this company It's saying something towards the way he feels about the quality of the boards they make.  Granted I have not rode ALL of the local shapers' boards or ALL of the different materials they make them out of.  And I'm sure they have some materials that are stronger than the boards I have ridden.  But over the last 5 years I have broken as many boards from TWO different local shapers and am thrilled with my new purchase.  The board rides great, its got no pressure dings after 10 or so sessions, and I'd like to think it has improved my surfing already in the short time I've been riding it.

PS. I live in Brevard County and have been all for supporting the local shapers my entire time here.  But after so many broken boards I reached the point where it was time to move on and try something different... Very Satisfied!

FORUMS : Surfing : Kelly Slater Might Have Purchased Firewire

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .