Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Surf Snowdonia
Topic Summary: Lets make this happen here!
Created On: 07/30/2015 08:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/30/2015 08:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

klassickDOTcom

Joined Forum: 09/01/2011

We need to start a go fund me for one of these in Florida.

Info and video courtesy of Magicseaweed.

Enjoy

-------------------------

Rad Vibes High Fives

Edited: 07/30/2015 at 08:59 AM by klassickDOTcom
 07/30/2015 09:06 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

The location of Snowdonia seems a bit odd.  It's reasonably close to Liverpool and Manchester, but why not just locate it in an urban area?  

There was an earlier effort to put a Wave Garden near Bristol, which looks like it might have stalled.  They changed technology to SurfPool.  The Wave Bristol

07/30/2015 01:55 PM

dan

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I contacted the Wavegarden people a few years ago and back then I think they told me the initial startup cost was ~$8M not including the land.  Could probably find a good piece of property out west of I95 for not too much.

07/30/2015 03:37 PM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

wanna go halfsies? 

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 07/30/2015 03:42 PM

dan

Yeah, sure....except I'm gonna need to liquidate a few things first.  LOL!

Goitta think though $8M is probably cheap for that setup and I bet it would be profitable within a few years.

07/30/2015 03:56 PM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

I'm in! I stated on Facebook if I were to ever hit the powerball this would become a reality.
 07/30/2015 09:09 PM

stevea

Joined Forum: 11/20/2009

Min. 10 mil and, then what to do around the site as it grows... dude, here in between or off of the BEACHLINE, home town to so many retired pro's , well almost, swamp land( cheap) access or 4x4 only. Hasn't been the only time thinkin abot ths!!

07/30/2015 10:18 PM

ww

The Skyplex tower roller coaster and "sky drop" attraction that's supposed to open on I-Drive in 2017 might include some sort of wave pool.  Unfortunately, it looks to be another flow rider type pool.  American Wave Machines.  

I think a Wave Garden type facility might do well near UCF.  I-Drive seems a stretch.  Too many tourists, too much traffic for locals.  

I don't know about locations for Brevard.  Close to an I-95 interchange might be good, but quality commercial property's expensive.  A facility near the beach with its own swimming pool might be good--a combined swimming and surfing training center.  But even beach-crazy Sydney seems short on programs that take children from learning to swim, to learning some swimming techniques for the beach, to learning how to deal with the beach, and getting them ready for learning how to surf.  

Then again, a Wavegarden by itself might do well near something like FIT or the State College.  

07/31/2015 04:38 AM

dan

I think it would do well anywhere in FL.  Think about it, if you knew there was one within a few hrs drive you'd be all over it a couple times a month, you know you would.  

Let's have a car wash or a bake sale to get the funds rolling in.  

07/31/2015 04:43 AM

Alex

Joined Forum: 06/10/2008

I have Heard the city of palm bay wants to do something with the compound area it's definitely a lot of empty land out there. maybe if someone who knows how to approach them, they might be interested

07/31/2015 06:09 AM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

I wonder what the up keep would be, monthly,yearly. I'd imagine that water needs to be filtered etc. I had a 300gal saltwater fish tank and that cost some coin to keep up, I could only imagine this thing. Might have to post up some strippers at the front gate to collect the entry fees.
 07/31/2015 08:01 AM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

If you are thinking of a wave Garden type set up best place to start is what do you think people will pay to use your pool?  How many can use the pool at any given time?  

Now you have to amortize  the Investment  over the effective life of the Wave Garden plus the cost of mantaining of the facility, insurance, labor cost and more. What other profit centers can you add? Surf Shop? place to eat.  Maybe Surf Coaches.  My guess is that you would have an investment of about 25 million just to get the gate open.  So you would need some deep reserves just to keep going untill the cash flow is up.  Now you are not going to be happy unless you are making some money on your invstment so yes you have to think about profit.  

So My question is this how much would you be willing to pay to use a Wave Garden Pool for a day?  

07/31/2015 08:06 AM

dingpatch

artz,

"Profit"? What, you kidding, or are you "one of them"?

Our surf park is going to be "core", with a capital C; bro deals for every legit surfer.

LOL!!!

Dora Hates You
 07/31/2015 08:42 AM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

Maybe it could be like country club just those with cash and connections allowed to play. Pros to act as coaches.  Have Board Caddies to get your board out of it's locker a full rack of demo boards to check out of the shop.   Your boards will be waxed by the Caddie. He or she will install  your finss .  Better have the lastest wetsuit colors board shorts and proper stylish surfer cool dude sunglasses.  Of couse those will all be avalible at the Surfshop pure organic clothing by Kelly.  Legandry guest Shapers will be on hand time to time to watch you surf and make custom boards for you.  

07/31/2015 08:47 AM

dan

Well as a comparison Typhoon Lagoon is booked solid almost 4 months out and that costs what like $1500 for ~100 waves right?  My genius math skills tell me people are paying $15/wave.

I think the demand is there.

07/31/2015 08:55 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

maybe it's just me, I really can't understand the fascination with wave pools

07/31/2015 09:17 AM

ClaimingDFL

Joined Forum: 01/18/2004

Originally posted by: Plan B maybe it's just me, I really can't understand the fascination with wave pools

Let me help you by starting with this: Florida in June, July, and August.
 07/31/2015 09:44 AM

ww

Video from Surf Snowdonia.

Looks like Wave Garden has the first practical surfing-specific wave in commercial use.  Now to see if it works as a business.  I wonder about the rural location.  It's close to a National Park (mountains) and the area has a bit of a tourist industry, with the Conwy Valley Maze, "The Big One"

Surf Snowdonia has made some effort to have activities beyond surfing:

"If you’re not keen on the surfing or bodyboarding there will still be heaps to do on site. We are going to be running Stand-Up Paddleboarding (SUP) sessions on both the Wavegarden and the River Conwy. There will be Surf Yoga, Surf Fitness and early morning swim sessions. There is then the ‘Activity Lagoon’ which is a piece of water the size of two Olympic swimming pools and is two metres deep. On this we are going to have the famous ‘Blobbing’, and an obstacle course testing skill, fitness and your luck (Think ‘Total Wipeout&rsquo. For the younger kids there is an indoor soft play building, and a cafe for the parents, a surf shop offering wetsuits, surf boards, accessories and clothing.  Our 50m long glass fronted restaurant (3m from the waters edge) will allow you to watch all the action whilst enjoying a meal and a drink."

07/31/2015 04:59 PM

ww

Excellent BBC story, including a comment from the Bristol wave project on their change of technology.  

BTW, Google Maps' imagery shows the now-demolished factory and has lots of photos of the new surfing facility.  

07/31/2015 06:13 PM

ww

Murphy's Waves.  Looks like Sea World has one of their lesser products.  

This product, "Tempest Survival Training", looks, um, unique.  Your own big washing machine.  Could you order one with a big ice cube machine?

"To complement our survival wave pool there are a number of special effects that are incorporated to simulate realistic storm conditions. These include:

• Gale force wind machine
  • Rain machine
  • Fog machine
  • Thunder and lightning simulator

FORUMS : Surfing : Surf Snowdonia

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .