Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: ATTENTION LOCAL SHAPERS- how to sell more boards!!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/02/2015 07:31 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/02/2015 07:31 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

J20

Joined Forum: 07/31/2003

Your websites are awful, some board models barely have write-ups or standard dimensions for different models, let alone a picture of the bottom of the board. Some of the descriptions are only a sentence or two. No mention of the concaves, rails, volume distribution, etc. look at the Channel Islands / Lost / JS websites. They have full paragraphs describing every model in their line up. They have videos of sponsored surfers or pros riding each model that are at least a couple minutes long so we can see how the board can perform when surfed properly. We get views from the side/ top/ and bottom and a good sense of the board in general. I understand that many of you are into custom shaping and want surfers to walk in your doors , talk about what kind of waves they ride, what shapes they currently ride, etc- ya know the whole custom experience.... But having a solid website with videos ( important !), dimensions, good write ups and pics of your popular models does not eliminate any business. People on the forum constantly tell beginners or really anybody looking for board advice to go local... But when they check out your websites they are left underwhelmed . Then they go to Lost's site and see 7 different groveler shortboards with great videos of guys ripping on them... A long thoughtful paragraph detailing the board, dimensions and volume of different lengths. QuietFlight has improved their site drastically... But still only has about 2 sentences per board - no videos of team guys shredding local waves on them- no standard dimension etc. some other local shapers ssites are pathetic. Your boards are just as good as merricks or biolas ones- so step it up !!!!
 09/02/2015 07:34 AM

J20

Tired of seeing one kechele, one Ricky carroll, one quiet flight, 15 lost boards and 10 merricks on a good day at the inlet or 2ndlight!
 09/02/2015 07:36 AM

J20

I'm sure there are college students studying graphic design / web design who would be STOKED to get a free board and a good reference and resume builder. Post an ad on here for somebody. Tell your sponsored guys to put together some clips with music. Let's Go!
 09/02/2015 07:49 AM

equipeola

Joined Forum: 12/17/2009

^

-------------------------
ola ~

09/02/2015 07:53 AM

RioSirju

Joined Forum: 04/15/2011

Hey J20, many times I have wondered the same to myself . Does it seem to the shapers that they are making 'enough money' so, they don't bother with the media side of marketing? Although for some it may not be about 'the money' or success.

I completely agree with your points, further develop their websites, add descriptions and reviews of their designs, more detailed photographs & write-ups of the board specifics and function.

A simple website with tabs for -about/boards/orders/gallery- can be put together fairly easily and is definitely a nice opportunity for a design student to build a portfolio or add experience to a resume.

Shapers that could use a website... P. Madden, Forstall, Codgen, Sam Barker

Support local business all the way, the best local websites I have seen are Stu Sharpe, Quiet Flight, Matt Kechele(which have the best websites in my opinion)-----Larry Mayo, Tom Neilson,Ricky Carroll, Chris Birch, Coil(which could use some meat on board info).

Good post J20, just my 2 cents, you've got my vote dude... +1...

-Rio

Edited: 09/02/2015 at 08:12 AM by RioSirju
 09/02/2015 07:57 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

I agree that better descriptions, volume and videos help. Also if a local shaper has a magic shape model, put the name of the model on the board!

But it's not all marketing, part of it is substance. The massive feedback and testing that CI and LOST get from their team riders isn't just video fodder, it gets put back into board design.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

09/02/2015 07:59 AM

phreshmango

Joined Forum: 12/05/2005

09/02/2015 08:13 AM

RioSirju

Joined Forum: 04/15/2011

Originally posted by: phreshmango or just check out http://croninsurfboards.com/

^^ Don't get me started on New Symrna Shapers LOL  isgust;

09/02/2015 08:45 AM

Arioch

Joined Forum: 09/14/2003

My shaper is a shaper not a web designer. I would agree Stu should have a better site. I think most shapers are busy enough they arent worried about websites.

09/02/2015 09:00 AM

J20

That Cronin site is exactly what I'm talking about- ultra brief descriptions, no videos, no side views showing rocker. No pics of bottom of boards. All the locals guys are the same or worse than that. I don't get it.
 09/02/2015 09:05 AM

J20

This comment baffles me "My shaper is a shaper not a web designer. I would agree Stu should have a better site. I think most shapers are busy enough they arent worried about websites" Then why did they make a website in the first place bud?
 09/02/2015 09:35 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Try this one

Fluid Surfboards

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 09/02/2015 09:35 AM

vtecmonster

Joined Forum: 10/02/2007

I think about this all the time. 

Shapers are good at shaping, not necessarily growing businesses. I bet I could easily triple what some of the above shapers do in volume in a year. The big "...but" is, I think you'll find that there's a reason why they are where they are (which isn't a cutdown) . Whether it's that they're stuck in their ways, they're happy where they are, it's the way "it's always been done" or or they're unfamiliar with certain ways of automizing aspects of their business. When someone is forced to do everything, nothing gets done and all those "nonessential" tasks eat up time, which is their big limiting factor. 

Also, I disagree about the "webwork" for a board "hook up". If you're commited to an online presence, it's going to be an ongoing process. The right people need to be hired for that position with a window of 5-7 years in mind. YouTube content, blogs, social media, seo, web design are all important. 

09/02/2015 09:45 AM

J20

Regarding VTECs comment- I can see that a long commitment/ part time position could be seen as a requirement for a major company.... But for a local shaper with an awful website, a college student looking for a resume builder and a free board or something could DRASTICALLY improve a website in a matter one or two weeks, and it could be left alone for a year. Just add VIDEOS of some of your guys riding certain "models"(no local shapers do this), add some commentary and better descriptions, add better photos. The last link someone supplied a couple posts above this has great pics of the boards rotated/side views. Not hard to do. I just think it's a shame that there aren't more local boards (shortboards/ shorter hybrids in particular) in Floridas lineups.
 09/02/2015 09:48 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Thre are shaper websites?

Made me think of the TSJ / Owl Chapman article and lawsuit thing.  Haha! 

El Hombre Invisible

When Jeff Johnson decides to order a 10'0"" Waimea gun from North Shore icon Owl Chapman, an upfront cash payment keeps Jeff on his toes for over 2 months, but the long wait and the end product provide a window into Chapman's intriguing presence (or lack therof) as a North Shore surfer and shaper over the years.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 09/02/2015 10:11 AM

phreshmango

Joined Forum: 12/05/2005

Originally posted by: J20

That Cronin site is exactly what I'm talking about- ultra brief descriptions, no videos, no side views showing rocker. No pics of bottom of boards. All the locals guys are the same or worse than that. I don't get it.

There aren't videos for every board but he does have some. Not sure why you need some long narrative about a board.

http://croninsurfboards.com/portfolio/arrow/
 09/02/2015 11:35 AM

Arioch

Originally posted by: J20 This comment baffles me "My shaper is a shaper not a web designer. I would agree Stu should have a better site. I think most shapers are busy enough they arent worried about websites" Then why did they make a website in the first place bud?

I dont know. Why dont you ask him? My guess is someone offered to help him start one and he probably doesnt know how to update it or run it. He proabably makes 98% from word of mouth and his label , T&C and Island label and all the work he does with SUP's, waveskis and helping other shapers that he doesnt have the time to worry about it.

09/02/2015 11:38 AM

Arioch

Im sure this thread is going to help these local shapers get their act together. lol

09/02/2015 11:39 AM

LostSherpa

Joined Forum: 05/02/2012

Huge shapers like Lost... and CI have the resources to hire an ad. and web design firm or company. Mainstream surfboard companies have more resources to get their word out. Just like industries like food. You dont see mom and pop stores having a great website like Mcdonalds or burger king does...

Call your shaper and talk to him. Or go buy off the rack.

With that said, I agree it isnt that hard to do a video board review or something like that for a website... I guess shapers shape boards and are not educated or keen on web design...

The Dude Abides.

http://www.rollerphotography.com/

09/02/2015 12:14 PM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

I tend to think local shapers prefer to talk to the person buying the board in person and make personal tweaks to a board design depending on that persons skill level and needs. CI & Lost pump out thousands of boards and it is "you like it, you buy it". The minimal websites these local shapers have is to get there name out and a phone number to contact them which is what I'd think is what they intend the website to do in the first place.
FORUMS : Surfing : ATTENTION LOCAL SHAPERS- how to sell more boards!!

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .