Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Going to Bali in July
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/12/2016 01:24 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/12/2016 01:24 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Waverider969

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Going to Bali in July with my girlfriend with a stop in Thaland for 3 days.

Can anyone who been there (Bali) recomend a good place to stay that offers easy access to good surf spots and yet will make the little lady happy and secure if she is not the surfer type but more into culture, shops and temples.

02/12/2016 02:04 PM

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

E coast is nicer but there are killer options all over the island. You'll prob want a driver to run you around the island. It won't cost much and will be worth it.

Do an e coast resort or villa on the bukit
 02/12/2016 02:36 PM

surfysurfy

Joined Forum: 09/26/2011

If predominantly wants resort/beach go up to uluwatu or dreamland area. 

if wants the shops and more access to that type stuff go closer to Kuta. (you wont want to stay right in Kuta unless you want full on tourist overload)

Other option is as above states of go over to east coast. More rights than lefts, but quieter.

02/15/2016 05:50 AM

Waverider969

Thanks Guys! appreciate the input. Keep them coming.

I was intrested in Dreamland so I looked up Dreamland and here are some reviews of the place that kinda didn't sound like place I'd want to be if there is truth to this.

"Horrible beach. You first have to park in a car park - then take a rusty shuttle bus through a horrible unfinished hotel development complex to a drop of point. From there you have to walk past a gauntlet of people trying to sell you stuff whilst looking at an eyesore ravine to your right hand side, which is full..."

"Dreamland Beach is inside the Pecatu Indah complex, the beach is frequented by buses of Asian tourists that do not know better. The building and infrastructure is badly planned, ugly and falling down. The beach is not cleaned after storms and littered with rubbish including babies nappies. It is ok for a sunset only."

"if your idea of a dreamland is a sandy trash can and you enjoy swimming alongside everything from tackle bags to crisp packets, then you'll be in heaven. Whoever said this beach was clean clearly didn't walk 5m past the deck chairs. There is literally no where to lie without having to move at least one piece of rubbish,"

02/15/2016 08:43 AM

rathunter

Joined Forum: 09/22/2011

In response to Dreamland:  Here is a pic of the rusty bus that you must take to the beach.  Its a trip!  Once to the beach, yes you will walk through a gauntlet of beggars like you're in Calcutta.  The beach is small similar to its neighbors like Padang Padang, its very depressing to see the trash (both the people and the actual trash).  I remember walking on the beach at Padang Padang and seeing a huge pile of fresh human sh!t.  Gross!  The waves at dreamland are way more managable than some its neighbors, but still will check ya when a set rolls in.  Remember that Bali is a 3rd world country, and the beggars and hustlers are all part of the experience there.  Its not luxury.  They burn their trash every evening on the Bukit.  If you want to rent a scooter to get around, go for it!  Just be mindful that you may run a higher risk of death doing that than surfing big Ulus.  A driver was KEY!  Saved our @sses on that trip, LOL.  send me a PM if ya wanna know more details of where to go.  I can't help you with the East side (Keramas), didn't go there.  Good Luck!

02/15/2016 08:59 AM

Coquina

Joined Forum: 06/05/2007

when my friends and I went we stayed ten days in Sanur. had two fair surf breaks right behind the resort that were never crowded. I hated Kuta. I was crowed party hell. Theres a river rafting adventure that is a must do. If I ever get to go again I will pick Sanur for sure. Better atmosphere and lots of options to walk to. Plus the resort was gaurded and very well maintained. Check it out Text
 02/15/2016 11:04 AM

weldertom2

Joined Forum: 04/14/2005

I made a family ( wife and teen)  trip from Singapore to Bali in 2013. We stayed at The Chillhouse in Canguu. ( www.chillhouse.com ) For our purposes it was perfect. No, its not out on the Bukit where the famous left points are and its not right on the beach. However, there were daily surf trips ( all skill levels) out to righteous surf every morning ( including afternoon trips) - the surf break was dependent on the conditions and skill level and they DO go out to the Bukit if its on - I surfed every day- .......... We also enjoyed daytrtips to temples/ kampong, town etc........... Food was GREAT. People/ guests were world travelers- They has everything right on the premises including a huge ( 50 +) selection of surfboards). Wife was very very pleased ( she is a beach person) with the daily massage and day trips.

Check out their webpage- They have expanded their experience to include moutain biking.........

02/15/2016 11:18 AM

Waverider969

thanks guys this exactly the stuff I was looking for!! I am  going to check out both places to figure out which one is good to book for a few days. Was there extra charge for surfing rides at the Chillhouse?

I kind of wish I can find a place that is on the beach and is close to the touristy stuff so both the girl and me can do our thing yet still get together and do things together which ever its just relax on beach or walk through the markets and temples.

02/15/2016 11:23 AM

weldertom2

Joined Forum: 04/14/2005

Chillhouse has surf "packages" that include surfing for however many days you want to surf. They transport you and your "guide" to whever your commensurate skill level matches the surf. ( thats subjective of course) 

02/15/2016 12:21 PM

rathunter

Joined Forum: 09/22/2011

No question Kuta/Legian is a loud tourist haven. But its the hub of Bali and you can access all of it from there.  Most of the safer places to stay offer guided services and tours to all the above mentioned.  There is a decent little surf camp called Pro Surf right in town that will coordinate daily trips to whatever place is doing its thing for your level.  They'll hit up the Bukit and Cangu all in the same day.  Problem is I think you need a few people for them to pull the trigger on an outrigger boat to the Reefs near the airport.  That was the high light for me.  You fly in and see this happening right off the run way.... perfect Indonesian tubes with no wind.  Heaven!  Cangu is super chill and the waves have good shape up there as well! 

02/15/2016 07:02 PM

ootrucstopoo

Joined Forum: 01/09/2006

Hang out for week at the Bukit. I'd recommend staying at Leggie's Bungalow or Mick's place in Bingin beach. The whole area is extremely busy and the lineups are congested with rippers. With Padang Padang and Bingin being the highest quality wave in the area, you're right in the action. Hit up fast rocky boat tour and head over to Nusa Lemgogan and stay there. More options with quality surf breaks(A-frames,rights, lefts, mushy beginner waves) and its a stunning area. Plus a little less crowded than the Bukit. Prepare to lose some skin, fins and $ to Bintangs.
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .