Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Aug/Sept Issue of Surfer Magazine: Sebastian Inlet Obituary
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/30/2016 07:08 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/30/2016 07:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

eastcoastersrule

Joined Forum: 04/04/2009

Possibly the longest article ever written about Sebastion Inlet.

More like a eulogy.

"For nearly 40 years Sebastian Inlet groomed more Champion surfers than perhaps any wave on the planet...then in the early 2000s ...repairs to the jetty caused the wave to disappear almost overnight. In its absence, Florida hasn't produced a single World Tour surfer, let alone a world title threat."

None other than King Slater chimes in: " It was as an important a wave to  East Coast surfing as Lower Trestles is to West Coast surfing."

RIP

Edited: 07/02/2016 at 06:00 PM by eastcoastersrule
 06/30/2016 07:24 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I was impressed, the article was way above and beyond what California based publications usually dish out.

-------------------------
I was right.
 06/30/2016 08:42 PM

jwieland

Joined Forum: 05/21/2009

Although I wouldn't say Reef Road has produced world title surfers, The same can be said about the once world class break. RIP-RR
It's sad really, we had two world class breaks in the state, now they are gone

WPTV NewsChannel5/Fox 29
Meteorologist/Surf Forecaster
Environmental Reporter
Palm Beach County, Florida

Snapchat: Surfnweatherman
http://instagram.com/surfnweatherman

https://twitter.com/SurfnWeatherman
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Surfin-Weatherman/

07/01/2016 04:08 AM

Dahui321

Joined Forum: 08/29/2014

Wow did someone just say "world class"!!!!!

Must not travel much.

Good wave spots for Florida (sad Sebastian is gone) but not "world class".

Travel produced Kelly, not the Inlet.

07/01/2016 05:08 AM

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

IMHO - the new jetty did not kill 1st peak. First- it still breaks, just not as often. The fact that it breaks on occasion suggests it's not dead. The beach nourishments to the south and to the north, along with the dredging of the channel a few yrs ago did more to alter the morphology of the inlet than the new jetty ever did. The outer sandbars to the E and NE have grown and spread. Affecting those small/mid sized E and ESE swells that wedged up so nicely.

The wave did not change until well after the new jetty was complete... I have plenty of old video to prove that.

On the plus side. Inlet has way more cleaner days than ever before. It was always good on S and SE winds. For the past few yrs, it stays clean (err.. cleaner) even with an E wind.

Edited: 07/01/2016 at 05:58 AM by matt_t
 07/01/2016 05:19 AM

bob3000

Joined Forum: 07/13/2004

Things and times have changed.

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
 07/01/2016 06:19 AM

Wedgefield

Joined Forum: 12/18/2003

just be glad you can still swim/surf there, who knows for how much longer considering this Link and more link2 and more link3

Edited: 07/01/2016 at 07:09 AM by Wedgefield
 07/01/2016 06:34 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Originally posted by: matt_t

IMHO - the new jetty did not kill 1st peak. First- it still breaks, just not as often. The fact that it breaks on occasion suggests it's not dead. The beach nourishments to the south and to the north, along with the dredging of the channel a few yrs ago did more to alter the morphology of the inlet than the new jetty ever did. The outer sandbars to the E and NE have grown and spread. Affecting those small/mid sized E and ESE swells that wedged up so nicely.

The wave did not change until well after the new jetty was complete... I have plenty of old video to prove that.

On the plus side. Inlet has way more cleaner days than ever before. It was always good on S and SE winds. For the past few yrs, it stays clean (err.. cleaner) even with an E wind.

Ditto

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

07/01/2016 06:52 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Link?
 07/01/2016 07:00 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Yep dead gone. Nothing today compares to what it was. Bouncers are gone.

I think we can pretty much say the same of every where up and down our coast.

Start at South Beach in Miami and work your way up to the North Jetty in Jax.

Dooley said it best: "It was better back then...."

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 07/01/2016 07:08 AM

Wedgefield

Originally posted by: Central Floridave Link?
links fixed...
 07/01/2016 07:57 AM

camguy

Joined Forum: 07/21/2010

pretty true. all the good south beaches breaks are crap now. when there is a good swell the north beaches haven't changed much..

07/01/2016 11:56 AM

SeniorSurfer

Joined Forum: 01/31/2015

I disagree that the Inlet has not changed.  The Inlet has not been breaking the same since the Army Corp altered the jetty.  If you did not surf it in the early 1970's then you cannot tell it has not changed.  Its not even close to the way it use to break.  I also think the Inlet contrubuted to the development of a lot of great surfers including Kelly Slater.  I am sure he would agree.

07/01/2016 12:14 PM

Wedgefield

Like I said earlier, enjoy while you can. Is this heading our way? link4
 07/02/2016 08:22 AM

Skunkape

Joined Forum: 08/03/2015

For every break in decline their should be one on the rise, we just need to be for finding them.  There is one marquis spot in my area that's actually been getting better the past few years. I'm sure there's one in the brevard zone doin the same thing. Demand for waves is on the rise while supply is dropping and that's a problem that needs fixin.

07/02/2016 06:51 PM

TunnelVision

Joined Forum: 10/02/2003

Originally posted by: Dahui321 Wow did someone just say "world class"!!!!! Must not travel much. Good wave spots for Florida (sad Sebastian is gone) but not "world class". Travel produced Kelly, not the Inlet.
Yes, indeed, it was world class for the wave size. Back in the day, it was in the top 5 small waves in the world packing in as much power for that size wave as anywhere due to the quality of the rebound / wedge. And Kelly became world class before travel. He was killing it at age 12 like nobody before him with the exception of Curren.
 07/02/2016 06:55 PM

TunnelVision

Originally posted by: Skunkape For every break in decline their should be one on the rise, we just need to be for finding them.  There is one marquis spot in my area that's actually been getting better the past few years. I'm sure there's one in the brevard zone doin the same thing. Demand for waves is on the rise while supply is dropping and that's a problem that needs fixin.

All the reason Kelly made a kick ass wave machine.
 07/02/2016 07:00 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Wavegarden seems to be hoping for a facility somewhere in coastal Georgia or maybe South Carolina.  Check their website.

07/02/2016 07:13 PM

rc

Joined Forum: 01/02/2006

Originally posted by: TunnelVision

Originally posted by: Dahui321

Wow did someone just say "world class"!!!!!

Must not travel much.

Good wave spots for Florida (sad Sebastian is gone) but not "world class".
Travel produced Kelly, not the Inlet.

Yes, indeed, it was world class for the wave size. Back in the day, it was in the top 5 small waves in the world packing in as much power for that size wave as anywhere due to the quality of the rebound / wedge. And Kelly became world class before travel. He was killing it at age 12 like nobody before him with the exception of Curren.

Ditto, Kelly's talent inpired people to sponsor his travel. People like Balsa Bill. But, his talent was spawned at the inlet. Ask him yourself.
 07/04/2016 06:55 PM

TunnelVision

Originally posted by: matt_t IMHO - the new jetty did not kill 1st peak. First- it still breaks, just not as often. The fact that it breaks on occasion suggests it's not dead. The beach nourishments to the south and to the north, along with the dredging of the channel a few yrs ago did more to alter the morphology of the inlet than the new jetty ever did. The outer sandbars to the E and NE have grown and spread. Affecting those small/mid sized E and ESE swells that wedged up so nicely. The wave did not change until well after the new jetty was complete... I have plenty of old video to prove that. On the plus side. Inlet has way more cleaner days than ever before. It was always good on S and SE winds. For the past few yrs, it stays clean (err.. cleaner) even with an E wind.
That might have been a second killing of sorts, but the main death was the extension. If you got to experience first peak before the extension, it was a different animal. Same thing happened with Kirra. Last I've read, they are going to be fixing Kirra by removing the extension. I have a feeling that won't happen with the inlet. Not enough surfing politicians around here. It still can be a great wave on the right conditions, but no longer world class.
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .