Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 4 herniated discs in my neck and pain. PAIN! Help. update - full 2 level disc replacement 2021
Topic Summary: two surgeries, ultimately having a 2 level artificial disc replacement
Created On: 08/07/2016 06:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/07/2016 06:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

nsbkook

Joined Forum: 12/07/2011

Update: Dec 2021 Ended up having an additional surgery. Two level Artificial Disc Replacement by Dr. Masson in Orlando. see latest post for details

Update: Dec 2019. 90-95 % Recovery. minimal invasive surgery performed by Dr. Razack in Orlando. No pain or issues. Maximum medical recovery at this point. See latest post for details.

Update: November 2017 progressing well. see my latest post for details

Update: April 2017 had surgery just over two months ago. see my latest post for details

So last week - a few days before leaving for El Sal I woke up one morning with an excruciating pain in my back and shoulder - radiating down through my arm as far as my wrist - sometimes it would feel like an electric shock going through my arm.

Along with this my back/shoulder and pectoral muscle would spasm uncontrollably.

Went to a Chiro and she sent me to get a neck and shoulder MRI. Long story short - shoulder is fine, but 4 herniated discs in my neck are pinching my spine and causing all the pain in my right arm and shoulder.

Last week I got two chiro adjustments, a homeopathic shot, and a cervical decompression.

All of which did, nothing, NOTHING, for me. It got so bad I checked myself into urgent care the night before my flight to el sal and got a scrip for painkillers and prednisone.

I have been told that I need to give the chiro some time, and go for multiple treatments, etc. But I really need some immediate relief, but I don't want to be taking these pills - or spending money on some hocus pocus that's not going to work.

I know many of you have had similiar maladies. I Would really value your opinions, experiences you have had with various treatments, medical professionals in the area.

thank you!

Edited: 03/02/2024 at 09:36 AM by nsbkook
 08/07/2016 06:38 PM

HERC4810

Joined Forum: 05/30/2005

Pm

-------------------------
http://www.passmorept.com/blog/?page_id=50
 08/07/2016 07:32 PM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

I blew C3-C7. Over the door traction unit and epidural cortisone injections let be delay surgery for 4 years. Had an artificial disc put in in the level causing most of my symptoms as well as jamming into my spinal cord... Still have 3 bad discs but I am pretty much gtg most of the time.

08/07/2016 08:26 PM

doppler

Joined Forum: 08/23/2006

Dr. Alvarez, Melbourne. Pain Management.
Recommend "Radio Frequency Lesioning."

Good luck.
 08/07/2016 08:39 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Pain meds work. That's the problem. If some are good, more are better. Very dangerous. Many people have started where you are and ended up junkies. Please be careful.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

08/08/2016 04:24 AM

miker

Depends on the pain meds because nerve pain can be tricky. A normal pain killer might not touch it but an opioid or something that acts similarly will. NSAIDs wouldn't touch my pain at all, I got more response from ice and tramadol. However, once the referral pain became the bigger issue, NSAIDs were fine... Along with muscle relaxers and heat. 

Constant balancing act. Ice for the inflammation and heat for the muscle issues that resulted.

08/08/2016 05:13 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Right before a surf trip, that sucks! I guess you are the cameraman. Good luck with managing your pain.

08/08/2016 05:57 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

random advice, not a Dr of course but Ice it 10 mins every hour , no longer than 10 mins! (PT told me this) and try to do it as much as you can each day/night.  That will keep the pain/inflamation down until you can see a real Dr, MRI is the only way to really kinow whta is going on and what a treatment should be...again just stupid internet advice, but ice was the best painkiller for my spine injury. Simply ICE (Ice-packs).  Good lUck, get it fixed quickly do not suffer/push through it..

08/08/2016 06:47 AM

miker

Ice makes the inflammation better in the spine, but makes the muscles issues in the surrounding area worse. Heat does the exact opposite. It is a tricky balance.

Spend $30 on the over door cervical traction unit. Start slow with the weight/time and work up to 15 minutes with full weight. Apply heat to your neck and shoulder muscles first. Do neck stretches after (McKenzie stretches worked for me well)

08/08/2016 07:42 AM

Lounge-A-Rama

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I'm a disabled vet, I've been doing chiropractic since the early 80's and acupuncture since about '88 or '89. I have been doing ONLY upper-cervical chiropractic for about 15 years with great relief, plus NO popping, cracking or violent twists, jerking etc. Upper-cervical chiropractic, Space Coast: Dr. Renee Hahn, 1600 W. Eau Gallie Blvd Suite 104 Melbourne, FL 32935 Ph: 321-622-4447 If you are in Orlando, this is my doctor, Jack Lynady DC, I have been seeing him since 2000, usually only 3-4 times/year or when I'm really tweaked. He is a very dear friend, has my surf art photography (printed on fine art exhibition canvas by me, 20"x30") displayed in all his rooms, he is a lifelong surfer too! http://jacklynady.com/ Don't forget acupuncture, it too is a great pain reliever. there are several on the Space Coast. If you are near Orlando my acupuncture physician is 3rd generation Chinese, his parents both taught Chinese medicine at university in China. He does 3 treatments, needles, or needles and electric stimulation, then cupping OR hot compresses with fresh herbs and then finishes with the BEST Tui Na massage EVER, total treatment time is about 90 minutes/per visit for only $50! Dr. Huo: 6972 Aloma Ave, Winter Park, FL 32792 Ph: (407) 312-9169 The other great pain reliever for me is floatation tank therapy, floating weightless in about 900 lbs. of epsom salts for an hour. Almost everyone is magnesium deficient due to modern farming practices and the standard American diet (S.A.D.) While both magnesium and sulfate can be poorly absorbed through the stomach, studies show increased magnesium levels from soaking in a bath enriched with Epsom salt! Magnesium and sulfate are both easily absorbed through the skin, our largest organ! My pain relief from floating lasts around 10 days to 2 weeks! Here is Float tank therapy on the Space Coast (Orlando has two, East Coast Floats and Total Zen Float) Souler Float: 1694-A West Hibiscus Blvd Melbourne, Florida (321) 591-9005 http://www.soulerfloat.com/

Life is a garden*Dig it!
 08/08/2016 08:17 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

If you have or start to have weakness in your arm or shoulder get a neuro's advice quickly, the muscles will quickly atrophy and if you wait too long they will not recover! This is from experience when workmans comp refused to grant surgery in a timely manner (c3-6).

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 08/08/2016 08:46 AM

nsbkook

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

Regarding pain meds - I really haven't been taking enough to completely eliminate or even have more than a minor effect on the pain and sharp tingling. So I think that's a good think. I don't want to become dependent on them.

I'm going to look into the over the door neck traction thing. And will be contacting some of the folks that have PM'ed or that have been mentioned.

Yes, this sucks being on a surf trip and not surfing much, but I guess that's why the family is with me on this one - and at least we're doing other things together while I walk around with my arm and neck in a weird contortion all day.
 08/08/2016 08:46 AM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

I had some similar issues recently. Mine was from a superiorly subluxed first rib impinging on the brachial plexus nerve bundle. A PT friend of mine also recommended doing these exercises and another variation on it where you push your chin back and thin up. The effect is that it pushes the "disc jelly" or "disc peanut butter" as it were back to the front. Many years of leaning your 10+ pound bowling ball head out over it's balanced axis leads to the jelly pushing out the back and impinging on the nerves. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6laUgST9yE

Good luck. I know some muscle therapists here in town that can also help with some of the resulting muscle pain and tension. www.thefixtherapy.com

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 08/08/2016 09:29 AM

mushmonster

Joined Forum: 12/08/2005

I have 3 bulging discs and 1 herniated nucleus in my neck, and 3 bulging in my lower back.... And a 50% rotator cuff tear..... I feel your pain .....I only use the Mcenzy method now, no pain meds.... It works wonders if you fully commit to it!!

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
 08/08/2016 09:37 AM

nsbkook

thanks again folks. I just tried paddling out this morning and it wasn't just no, but hell no. I think I could have fought through the pain on my way out, but a nagging voice in my head kept telling me if I make it out and my arm gives out, then I'm really f*cked. So now I'm sitting in el salvador being so cranky I don't even want to be around anyone.

08/08/2016 03:31 PM

Kimo63

Joined Forum: 04/22/2012

See a neurosurgeon promptly when you return , I'm a surgical PA and work with most of the guys here in Orlando. Here are three guys from three different groups all great spine surgeons : Dr Razack , DR Masson , Dr Sawin . start with which ever one can fit you in , all very busy practices . Good luck don't wait.
 08/09/2016 02:54 AM

TAK

Joined Forum: 08/27/2006

Edited: 08/09/2016 at 11:13 AM by TAK
 08/09/2016 03:11 AM

miker

Have to be careful with a chiropractor if you don't know what your exact situation is. Glad yours at least sent you to get an MRI done. In my situation if I would of went to one who didn't do the that I may have been screwed. I had a jagged osteophyte jammed into my spinal cord on the level that was ultimately replaced with an artifical disc. The chiropractor has its place, but is some situations it can make things much much worse.

08/09/2016 07:36 AM

nsbkook

Originally posted by: Lounge-A-Rama

I

[/L] Don't forget acupuncture, it too is a great pain reliever. there are several on the Space Coast. If you are near Orlando my acupuncture physician is 3rd generation Chinese, his parents both taught Chinese medicine at university in China. He does 3 treatments, needles, or needles and electric stimulation, then cupping OR hot compresses with fresh herbs and then finishes with the BEST Tui Na massage EVER, total treatment time is about 90 minutes/per visit for only $50! Dr. Huo: 6972 Aloma Ave, Winter Park, FL 32792
Ph: (407) 312-9169
The other great pain reliever for me is floatation tank therapy, floating weightless in about 900 lbs. of epsom salts for an hour. Almost everyone is magnesium deficient due to modern farming practices and the standard American diet (S.A.D.) While both magnesium and sulfate can be poorly absorbed through the stomach, studies show increased magnesium levels from soaking in a bath enriched with Epsom salt! Magnesium and sulfate are both easily absorbed through the skin, our largest organ!
My pain relief from floating lasts around 10 days to 2 weeks!

Here is Float tank therapy on the Space Coast (Orlando has two, East Coast Floats and Total Zen Float)

Souler Float: 1694-A West Hibiscus Blvd
Melbourne, Florida
(321) 591-9005

http://www.soulerfloat.com/

Glad to hear you have had good experiences with some alternative therapies. I've tried float tanks before and really enjoyed the experience. Sounds like perhaps it's time to do it again.

I had a cupping done when I was in China last month - I preferred the Thai massage more

I'm also a vet, wonder how far back this herniation goes and if I could get some disability rating out of it?
 08/09/2016 07:39 AM

nsbkook

Originally posted by: TAK
Do you feel shocks down your arms? Do the shocks reach the tips of your pinky fingers?

Yes. it feels like a shock extending down the back of my arm - not quite to the tips of my fingers but definitely to my wrist/forearm.

I will PM you.
FORUMS : Surfing : 4 herniated discs in my neck and pain. PAIN! Help....

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .