Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Young Kelly with a Catri!
Topic Summary: Link
Created On: 08/26/2016 04:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/26/2016 04:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

mushyman

Joined Forum: 10/09/2013

Hopefully that works clicky

-------------------------
Do you know what Wubba-LubbA-Dub-Dub means in BirdPerson language?
 08/26/2016 04:54 PM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJlwh_5BZBY/

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 08/26/2016 04:55 PM

mushyman

Joined Forum: 10/09/2013

Thanks!!

Do you know what Wubba-LubbA-Dub-Dub means in BirdPerson language?
 08/26/2016 05:03 PM

SrfGtr

Joined Forum: 12/19/2006

Y'all Ghey as hell!!!
 08/26/2016 05:46 PM

rc

Joined Forum: 01/02/2006

That pic is from the backyard of 101 Aucila Road, in CB, the homestead of the day.

In that fabled trip of 1982 when Ke11y won his first major title, Menehunes, I rode with Steve (dad), Sean and Sean O'Hare. Check it out in his 2003 book Pipe Dreams ... lots of things disclosed, but the pic of him on that CATRI was my shot with a Canon AE1/50mm standing in the shorebreak in knee-deep water watching him execute a backside 360 at 10 years of age. It took 2 days to get there and 2 days to get back (thanks to a fuel filter gone bad and Ricky Carroll [RC] diagnosing it in Buxton, but we ignored it for another 400 miles and paid $1.95 for the stinking part on I-95 which fixed the damn problem). That trip was pure hell except for the fact that I rode with the boy who would be king. Every memory I have of those days are cherished since everything I was blessed to see was destiny. If anyone ever met Steve Slater then they would know why Ke11y is who he is. Type B meets type A ... you can't have Type A and Type A without implosion of some sort. Steve was an awesome dad. Ke11y finally realized this in 2002 when his father passed. He left the Australian tour to come home, stalling his comeback which only fed Andy Irons emergence and 3 straight titles (2002, 2003, 2004). From his death bed, the man was trying to loan me tools to build a house I was building, yes the shirt off your back kind of guy, that's Ke11y's dad. Yes many people criticized him, but I was able to look Ke11y in the eyes and tell him things about dear old dad that he never could see from a son to father view point.

In the Mens longboard, I took 2nd to Billy Curry and all I got was this single pole skinny trophy and remember looking at Ke11y's 4-poster and he just put it aside like he knew there would be so many more ... and yes that happened. I have always rooted for him and will always root for him. I hope he is in and wins the 2020 Olympics. He is from another world. There will never be another KS.

Godspeed to Ke11y!

Edited: 08/26/2016 at 05:56 PM by rc
 08/26/2016 07:17 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Sure thing surfgator

Nice recollection Randy. Thanks.

I was right.
 08/26/2016 08:21 PM

camguy

Joined Forum: 07/21/2010

Thanks RC. I know you probably have a book of memories too! You still in CB?

08/27/2016 08:06 AM

shapewright

Joined Forum: 07/18/2010

The next year Judy asked if I was going to Hatteras again and could Kelly ride with us, she packed a huge cooler with roast beef sandwiches and drinks, Kelly ,Tuna and me, rode trip.

The winter of '84 Kelly would go to Makaha for the US, I was in judging roation when his menehune heat came up, no way he was going to get F'd by Hawaiian rules.

Bird Mehalona on one side of me, Kathy Ballard on the other, the other menehunes didn't stand a chance, Kelly even finding a 3 foot Makaha barrel. When the dust cleared, Kelly Slater, first place 

08/27/2016 06:15 PM

rc

Originally posted by: shapewright
The next year Judy asked if I was going to Hatteras again and could Kelly ride with us, she packed a huge cooler with roast beef sandwiches and drinks, Kelly ,Tuna and me, rode trip.
The winter of '84 Kelly would go to Makaha for the US, I was in judging roation when his menehune heat came up, no way he was going to get F'd by Hawaiian rules.
Bird Mehalona on one side of me, Kathy Ballard on the other, the other menehunes didn't stand a chance, Kelly even finding a 3 foot Makaha barrel. When the dust cleared, Kelly Slater, first place 

Great stuff, Jim!

We all have different pieces to this crazy puzzle where Ke11y puts little old Florida on a permanent map of surfing world history which, by the way makes you the chief historian for the East Coast!
Tuna ... OMG, yeah I have fond memories of Charlie. Heck, my switchfoot is dedicated to him! My curse was learning to skateboard goofyfoot and then a year later learning to surf regular foot and not realizing it until a year or so later. Took a beating from Jeff Klugel on this topic, but reinforced my will by watching Tuna, George Drazich and Doug Wright all switchfooters.
I remember the 1984 Hawaiian results but had no idea what he was up against.
I do know the 1990 World Contest in Japan, Ke11y was in a tube so long the judges failed to realize he came out, underscored him, and he got 3rd.
Bruce Walker was team coach and told me how frustrating that was.
Most everything since then has been golden for him.
 08/27/2016 06:19 PM

rc

Originally posted by: camguy

Thanks RC. I know you probably have a book of memories too! You still in CB?

Sat Bch ... gotta love the coquina and north swells!
 08/27/2016 07:19 PM

kneeblaster

Joined Forum: 08/11/2003

rc, Great read, thanks for sharing!

08/28/2016 11:01 AM

JBSURF

Joined Forum: 10/11/2004

Good stuff Randy n Jim,,,, great times and killer memories.....

Islander Hut days

I've decided to accept the fact - I'll always be a big kid!
 08/28/2016 02:16 PM

rc

One more tidbit ... 1984 July 4 we are in Orlando International airport heading to LAX for the US Team trials. Mole, Robie Jones, Bruce Walker, Jeff Klugel, Bill Mac, Sean, Ke11y, Gnarly Charlie, Rich Rudolph, Crystal Roever, et al and this portly lady who was heading back to Cal says to us "are you surfers? There's no surfers from Florida."
Robbie called her a few weight-related choice words.
Yeah, Ke11y was sitting right there.
That's how far we've come riding on his coat-tails.
 08/29/2016 06:25 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

fun read rc!

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 08/29/2016 07:19 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Thanks for the insights guys.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .