Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: A few more data points during Hurricane Matthew from the Indialantic buoy
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/24/2016 07:28 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/24/2016 07:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

CheckTheWaves

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Finally got good enough ocean conditions today to get the kayak out to assess the damage to the Indialantic buoy and retrieve the transmitter. Only minor damage to the buoy itself but it did flood. We had hoped to get all the storm data off the transmitter but unfortunately the flooding caused intermittent communications with the wavegage so we only got 3 additional data points during the storm and won't get the rest until we recover the wavegage. The last transmission from the buoy was at 10/6 23:00 EDT at 12.5 ft. The last data received by the transmitter was at 10/7 04:30 EDT with the wave height measuring 18.7 ft!!!! You can read the full damage report at https://checkthewaves.com/news.

-------------------------
www.checkthewaves.com
Where're you checkin
 10/25/2016 03:25 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

19 feet! Wow. You hyper link goes to Facebook.
 10/25/2016 06:57 AM

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

Originally posted by: Central Floridave

19 feet! Wow. You hyper link goes to Facebook.

at 10 seconds.. some serious chop!
 10/27/2016 04:56 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Would Eddie Go? 19 feet at 10 seconds. Never mind the 100+ mph onshore winds. LOL.
 10/27/2016 06:12 AM

CheckTheWaves

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Most of you may already realize this but I sometimes I tend to take it for granted that everybody knows what I'm refering to when I talk about wave height.  When we report wave height it is the significant wave height and by definition is the average of the largest 1/3 waves of a given sample set. That means that at a significant wave height of 19 ft there are waves larger than that out there and probably in the 20-22 ft range.  

I think Eddie would go, although at 10.6 s he might think twice.

www.checkthewaves.com
Where're you checkin
 10/30/2016 03:03 PM

surferclimber

Joined Forum: 01/23/2011

Originally posted by: CheckTheWaves Most of you may already realize this but I sometimes I tend to take it for granted that everybody knows what I'm refering to when I talk about wave height.  When we report wave height it is the significant wave height and by definition is the average of the largest 1/3 waves of a given sample set. That means that at a significant wave height of 19 ft there are waves larger than that out there and probably in the 20-22 ft range.  

I think Eddie would go, although at 10.6 s he might think twice.

Thanks for posting the detailed info...that's pretty intense stuff right there! Thank GOD that storm let up & curved as  it was looking really scary when it was an arrow right to us with 140-145....I remember Andrew and was starting to think this was gonna be like but when it dropped down windspeed and curved we were so saved!!!

get up early and go surf - it'll make that hangover go away and/or make the workday more tolerable :)

Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .