Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Ocean Lifeguard Certification.
Topic Summary: Apparently what they require is actually "Open Water Certification"
Created On: 02/18/2017 07:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/18/2017 07:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Anyone know what an Ocean Lifeguard Certification is and somewhere locally that offers it?

-------------------------
Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

Edited: 02/20/2017 at 08:13 AM by daner
 02/19/2017 01:58 PM

artman

Joined Forum: 03/10/2009

Not sure where they offer training here but my brother inlaw trains his lifeguards in Jaco' Beach Costa Rica as well as the volunteer lifeguards in Dominical and other unprotected spots...

He was sent for training himself in Australia a few years ago and they focused on utilizing a Jet ski and rescue board, rescue without a floatation device, using your surfboard upside down to flip a conscious victim on top, CPR/AED, leash torniquete ect.

One thing he taught me was to use a baseball cap to stabilize a person's head if there is concern of neck injury. He said to fold the cap into the bill, wrap the bill around the backside of neck and use a surfboard leash to stabilize the head, pretty cool idea since many surfers have ball caps handy.

"Surf Rescue Costa Rica" is the name of their program and they train on the beach in Jaco' alot so if anyone is on vacation and want to train it's a worth while thing to do, I helped bring a drowning victim to shore in Indialantic 20 years ago and it's not easy when they're unconscious, shortboard doesn't get you to the sand very quick either...Anyone interested check out "Mar Chen" on Facebook or "Surf Rescue Costa Rica"

02/19/2017 04:41 PM

somebodyelse

Joined Forum: 06/29/2006

Do brevard county guards have that? I've seen them training up and down the beach in Indialantic.

02/20/2017 12:32 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

For the most part, I think you apply to lifeguard/ocean rescue agencies and take their training courses or others' courses prescribed by them, plus whatever exams they require.  A few states seem to have statewide lifeguard certification 

Overall, the U.S. Lifesaving Association (USLA) issues certifications to lifeguard agencies (their list is impressive, but is missing some major agencies, like almost any in New York, and the National Park Service).  USLA has a lot of support for training but doesn't provide it.

02/20/2017 08:14 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Open Water Certification is what they actually call the requirement and apparently it is offered through the Red Cross.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

03/22/2017 04:46 PM

jrandy

Joined Forum: 02/09/2016

If can remember to ask tomorrow...after skills and witten test for American Red Cross Lifeguard...I will report back.

Also, added a click-me to my signature for a hands-only CPR method that I was made aware of today.  If you have a minute and three seconds...

http://pushheretosavealife.com

Be safe, have fun. -J

03/22/2017 05:56 PM

surferclimber

Joined Forum: 01/23/2011

Years back when I was lifeguarding the training was primarily red cross 

get up early and go surf - it'll make that hangover go away and/or make the workday more tolerable :)

03/24/2017 01:08 AM

jrandy

Joined Forum: 02/09/2016

I think WW has it right. I asked my instructor and then called the 'home office' and ARC does not have a specific oceanside certification-they have ones for pools, waterfronts (lakes, ponds, rivers), and waterparks.

http://pushheretosavealife.com

Be safe, have fun. -J

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .