Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Surf Trips with Non-Surfing Wife
Topic Summary: Any tips or good stories?
Created On: 03/23/2017 12:33 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/23/2017 12:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

asurferscomposition

Joined Forum: 02/27/2017

I wrote a short article right here about going on surf trips with your non-surfing significant other. Do you guys have any tips or funny stories about going on surf trips with your spouse who doesn't surf?

-------------------------
@surferscomposition
Daily (sort of) video reports in my IG stories
 03/23/2017 07:02 PM

surferclimber

Joined Forum: 01/23/2011

Wife who likes sunbathing 

get up early and go surf - it'll make that hangover go away and/or make the workday more tolerable :)

03/23/2017 07:49 PM

MoonDog

Joined Forum: 07/21/2004

Don't go...Haha....sorry tried them all... If you have too...get ready for a lot of complaining and when you do surf? Make quick sessions....best thing to do is take your wife anywhere she wants. Mine wants to take 2 week camping trip to D.C. first of May. I told her we don't want to take 95 the whole way... Is there surf on Jekyll Island? or Myrtle Beach?? At least I get a few days on the Outer Banks.... Bringing boards and fishing poles and hoping for best!! But by doing that I get to do a week long Guys trip!!! First Week of April in CR.
 03/24/2017 05:26 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

We went to Kauai years ago. Every morning we were up by 5 or 5:30, ate breakfast on the lanai, then a 4 hour session at one of the spots while she sat on the beach and read or beachcombed. Done by 10, then sightseeing and back in time for an evening session most evenings. Finished the day with a nice dinner at a local restaurant, followed by an hour in the hot tub and then bed. A great, great trip (made even better because it was free - my wife exceeded her sales goals and this was her/our reward).
 03/24/2017 06:34 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Our best trip was going to a small surf camp (15 people max) that was right in front of a break so I didn't have to travel to surf. There was yoga and 7 surfers and the other 7 guests were women who didn't surf. The chemistry between all was good and the women did yoga and a side trip together. We didn't know any of the other people before going so it was just luck to have that mix. Other weeks the same camp is often dominated with testosterone (and Imperial) fueled guys away from their wives for a week to party and be obnoxious and in that situation it would NOT have been a good trip.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

03/24/2017 07:05 AM

shapewright

Joined Forum: 07/18/2010

Total distaster, took wife on trip to mainland Mex., drove from San Diego, problems started within hours.

She lounging in the camper shell when I slid the window open to annouce we were coming up on an Aduana (Customs) check point, I though killer bees had her the way she starting thrashing about, no, she had brought weed with her and was (secreting) it some where they would NOT find it on a woman.

At the 5 star Hotel in Ixtapa we went snorkling, she said she was a certified diver, the bay had a bitchin' sea stack and I went to explore around it's base, but it was way too shallow and covered with purple urchins.

She has a flipper come off and while trying tyo get it back on the current starts dragging her across the urchin infested reef, rolling her like a beach ball.

The hotel calls for the house doctor and I head off to buy her some shiny(expensive) adornmets to sooth her pain.

I return and the hotel staff has the look of some one got killed, no, the hotel doctor shoots her up with blue morphine to remove spines, but starts jamming his tongue down her throat and adjusting her breasts.

The ride back to San Diego was sooooooooooooooooo pleasant, she told me I could give the dive gear to my next girl friend

03/24/2017 07:22 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Funny story Shapewright!

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

03/24/2017 07:31 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Nooooooo!!!! We need advise on surf trips with the non-surfing non-wife, or as we like to say, , , , "the travel companion" , , , , ,

Dora Hates You
 03/24/2017 12:04 PM

asurferscomposition

Joined Forum: 02/27/2017

Shapewright that was awesome. Someone told me this article should have been called "How to Turn a Surf Trip into Not a Surf Trip". Let's just call it a modified surf trip. I'm not sure anyone's going to be able to top Shapewright, but I got one about a place we stayed in Puerto Rico.

We planned a last minute trip to PR during Easter, so we were having a tough time finding a place to stay. We called the guy whose house we usually stay at and he said we could stay there, but not the first night. Our flight landed at 2am and we could not check in until 1pm. The guy was super nice and found us a place to stay at "Hotel El Girasol."

When we checked in they handed us the linens. Hmmmm. We get into the room and the mattress is covered in plastic. The AC is operated by a light switch with no access to the thermostat, so it was either on or off. I started looking at the room service menu on the wall. On it they had stuff like empanadas, burgers, and fish tacos. Then it stated listing stuff like condoms, KY jelly, and vaseline. So we got some fish tacos and KY .... J/K, but needless to say she wasn't too impressed. The place had garages, I guess so you could hide your car from your wife if she went looking for you?

@surferscomposition
Daily (sort of) video reports in my IG stories
 03/24/2017 02:50 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Mrs. Dingpatch does not mind my surfing when we vacation but, , , , I do have to be "aware" of her needs/wants/desires/demands, , , , , ,

There was the time that I ", , , , , abandoned her, , , ," at the resort on Maui.

Dora Hates You
 03/24/2017 06:36 PM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Edited: 03/25/2017 at 07:00 PM by SurferMic
 03/24/2017 07:14 PM

occy

Joined Forum: 02/20/2012

Sorry, maybe I am an ass, but I don't think you can even call it a surf trip when someone who doesn't surf goes and requires any attention of yours when you could be surfing.

My tip = take her to an all-inclusive on a beach with waves.

Ask me how to take almost free surf trips anywhere.

03/25/2017 12:02 PM

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

Tell her to bring some friends and go surf alone. Win-win

03/25/2017 08:11 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

03/26/2017 09:39 AM

Illgetoutnextwave

Joined Forum: 02/19/2016

Best place ive been where you can both surf and not is Basque country.  Food, beverage and  are fantastic, and so are the  waves.  I went in the fall and scored Mundaka, but Zarautz is pretty consistent and San Sebastian was there with night life if its too small, or depending on what you want, too big.  A beautiful place with lots of hikes and memorable meals.  Even if you only surf during siesta youll still score, and it's a clean first world place.  Playa Colorado in Nica is nice enough that most people would be ok with hanging therd for a week.  Nica's more crowded than Spain though.

03/27/2017 03:32 PM

surfnole

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Great topic. This trip does not really exist, but there are some good options.

Nosara Costa Rica. I took the whole family but only surfed fro sunrise until around 8am. When I got back, the family was waking up. Great beach, lots of other activities, a few good restaurants etc. etc.

Puerto Rico. Several nice places that are wife worthy like Villa Tropical in Aguadilla. Probably several in Rincon. Breaks are close including Shacks out front.

Maybe Turtle Bay on N shore Oahu?

However there is no such thing as a "Surf Trip" or a fishing trip or a hunting trip or any other guy's trip when your sole mission is surfing or whatever. When I go on a surf trip with my friends, it is the primary objective and nothing else matters. Meal times, wake up time, food, lodging, driving blah blah blah. I don't think most women can comprehend the concept of single mission to the exclusion of all else.

I have gone windsurfing in Maui and Hood River and only learned years later that my wife got pissed off that we rented two cars. All she wanted to do was hike and explore, and I wanted to windsurf.

Of course you can't predict the waves or the winds, but winds are somewhat predictable in those places, so I thought we could take an early morning hike and be back by 1pm, but that wasn't good enough for her. I thought two cars was the option.....but I found out later that it wasn't. She never told me but she gave an earful to my sister.

Edited: 03/27/2017 at 03:44 PM by surfnole
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .