Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Shoulder Replacement
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/20/2017 08:09 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/20/2017 08:09 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

surfersince65

Joined Forum: 03/29/2008

Anybody had one of theirs done?

-------------------------
JMA

04/20/2017 08:55 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

A replacement no. If it is anything like recovering from frozen shoulder though, it took me a full year to get back to normal.
 04/20/2017 09:56 AM

HERC4810

Joined Forum: 05/30/2005

I have rehabilitated numerous. PM me for guidance.

http://www.passmorept.com/blog/?page_id=50
 04/20/2017 10:39 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

Mine's been aching a bit again lately (5 years since rotater cuff surgery) but just reading this made it hurt a little more. I feel for ya. good luck.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 04/20/2017 04:08 PM

surfersince65

I tore my labrum in 2002 had it fixed but never right.  Now I have worn a flat spot on the humeral head and have limited range of motion above the shoulder. Much worse than two torn ACLs.

JMA

04/20/2017 07:47 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Rotator cuff surgery is common and usually effective.  Long recovery, though.

04/20/2017 08:12 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

If you haven't already discussed it with Dr. Carlos Woodward, you should. He's fixed both of mine (not replacements though). Left side was similar to your description. Back to excellent range of motion and minimal pain, but it took longer than I anticipated. Haven't had time to work much on the strength aspect, but I don't feel like it will be limited when I finally do. Best of luck to ya.

04/21/2017 02:46 PM

Kimo63

Joined Forum: 04/22/2012

lots of good surgeons here in Orlando , if you need a name just ask . If your cuff is totally blown a reverse total is the way to go
 04/23/2017 02:41 AM

surfersince65

Very difficult decision, my day to day activities are ok, the big factor is I can't surf much more then an hour and then it's stiff for days.

Saw Dr. Brent Stephens in Melbourne, says he has done hundreds of reverse shoulder replacements.  It is a crap shot no matter what.

JMA

04/23/2017 07:56 AM

LIV2SURFDT

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

As someone who has had both shoulders repaired (torn labrum and suprispinatus) I feel for ya. Total replacement sounds daunting. My recommendation would be a second opinion. Not because of any issues with your doctor, but just because its good common sense. First doc I went too said I was gonna need immediate surgery, that I was a few millimeters from needing total replacement, and not to lift "so much as a pencil" until I got it repaired. He went on to say I would need a second surgery to graft the pericardium from a horse as a sheath to support my shoulder. Told me to cancel my upcoming snowboarding trip and schedule my surgery "within the next two weeks". I was petrified! I remembered Doc Woodward had done a great job on a surgery for my daughter. So I called his office for a SO. I told him what the first doc said. He looked at my MRI and started laughing. Said I had a torn suprispinatus, it was nowhere near needing total replacement, and to go surfing, go snowboarding and schedule the surgery whenever I wanted. He fixed that one and needless to say fixed my other shoulder when I tore it as well. Couple years later now and my shoulders are stronger than they ever were. Do yourself a favor, get a second opinion... Note: The first doc I saw was NOT the doc you referenced...
 04/23/2017 08:18 AM

Kimo63

Joined Forum: 04/22/2012

always good to get a few opinions , the reason to go with the reverse total over the standard total if if you have destroyed the cuff playing sports . If you can't raise your arm over your head , and have lots of weakness , I'd suspect a cuff problem . Most cuffs can be repaired arthroscopic , but some are so badly hurt that there is nothing left to do but a reverse total. It's up to a good ortho to figure out where you fall into. Good luck. I finally pulled the trigger on my back and am 7 weeks post op, wish I would have fixed it sooner.
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .