Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Shark attack on Reunion... again.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/01/2017 03:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/01/2017 03:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

larenyon

Joined Forum: 10/19/2009

Just happened. Story is up on surfline. It's a spot just outside of Saint Leu, which is where the famous left is. He was a young bodyboarder.

Edited: 05/01/2017 at 04:20 PM by larenyon
 05/01/2017 03:57 PM

grdsurf

Joined Forum: 09/28/2004

There was a serious attack at Church just south of Lower Trestles on Saturday....little closer to home. There is and article on Surfline.
 05/01/2017 05:09 PM

Keveroonus

Joined Forum: 01/19/2007

To cull or not to cull...Under what circumstances is it permissible?
 05/02/2017 05:09 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Well, , , , it seems that the sharks are doing a very good job of culling the dick draggers.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 05/02/2017 06:15 AM

larenyon

Dingpatch: 1.) The attacks have been split between the surfers and the bodyboarders. 2.) Most of the bodyboarders there are very nice. 3.) Degrading a dead person because of their type of waveriding equipment is silly at best.

05/02/2017 06:39 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

laryenyon: 1.) why do all those folks over there.... wanna win darwin awards?

05/02/2017 07:16 AM

larenyon

Sorry a little slow this morning. Are you meaning why do they keep going surfing, or why don't they cull or some other solution

05/02/2017 07:24 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Yes

05/02/2017 07:48 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Sorry, yes, a bit crude on my part, , , , ,

But, then, , , , again, , , , it is just as offensive to consider a "cull" of a wild animal for such reasons.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 05/02/2017 11:01 AM

larenyon

Stir- Why do they keep paddling out? - There are amazing waves all the time in beautiful clear, blue water (and warm). There are a much smaller amount of people surfing there than there used to be though. We were still paddling out after the first few attacks without too much concern, it was a sharky place to begin with.

Why don't they do something about it? - There hasn't been an outright agreement on what to do about it. There is a mix of opinions between the locals, and to make it more difficult, there has also been A LOT of outside interference. The locals probably favor a controlled cull of bull sharks to a certain degree, but there is too much disagreement to take a collective action so far.

05/02/2017 11:18 AM

Stripecat

Joined Forum: 07/30/2013

"Culling" is what created this mess in the first place, remember?

Locals decided reef sharks were decent table fare...they let the fisherman get closer and harvest at will...reef sharks are one of the VERY few natural predators of juvenile bull sharks...we go overboard and what do you think happens? The bull population explodes.

Yeah...preach a shark cull--brilliant. No one to blame but ourselves, L. 

05/02/2017 11:19 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Originally posted by: larenyon Stir- Why do they keep paddling out? - There are amazing waves all the time in beautiful clear, blue water (and warm). There are a much smaller amount of people surfing there than there used to be though. We were still paddling out after the first few attacks without too much concern, it was a sharky place to begin with.

Why don't they do something about it? - There hasn't been an outright agreement on what to do about it. There is a mix of opinions between the locals, and to make it more difficult, there has also been A LOT of outside interference. The locals probably favor a controlled cull of bull sharks to a certain degree, but there is too much disagreement to take a collective action so far.

Thanks for the clear explanation. I predict even more darwin awards in their future. Lets revisit this post next year.

05/02/2017 12:15 PM

larenyon

Unfortunately you are probably right. There will be people surfing again within a few days/weeks.

Important FYI - The high rate of shark attacks didn't happen because of shark fishing. The locals don't eat or value shark as a food source at all. They don't participate in the whole finning thing either. There have only been a few random fisherman who fish for sharks there, and they were based on the south side of the island where attacks haven't been occurring.

The attacks started about a year or so after they instituted strict no-fishing bans around many near-shore areas on the west coast of the island. Previously the locals had overfished/overspeared the shore areas of all bait fish type stuff. Once the ban came to pass, the local fish population increased a ton. Behind my house I started seeing so many more fish (in St. Leu) Soon after that the attacks started getting crazy frequent.

It's a bad situation for sure.

05/11/2019 05:27 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Surfer Killed in Shark Attack Off Réunion Island
THURSDAY MAY 9, 2019
http://www.theinertia.com/news...ck-off-reunion-island/
 05/14/2019 07:57 AM

996ttcab

Joined Forum: 09/08/2011

edit double post

Edited: 05/14/2019 at 08:00 AM by 996ttcab
 05/14/2019 07:59 AM

996ttcab

Originally posted by: Well, , , , it seems that the sharks are doing a very good job of culling the dick draggers.
Huh, really? What is your business again? I own a few shops around the world and I personally will make sure we do sale, use or promote your products. Was very acquainted with the poor guy losing his leg/life off Reunion. A bunch wussy types like to throw out that whinny this is their habitat bs, but no. It's not. It's okay for use to kill Mahi and Tuna and etc by the tons, but not to cull dangerous predators that serve little or no purpose at all in this world to save people. Sorry if I am being too aggressive. This is my second friend in a very short period of time to succumb to shark attacks and I myself got hit pretty hard in J-Bay about 20 years ago. The sea is ours as well or we would not be given the natural ability to swim, surf and do whatever.

Edited: 05/14/2019 at 08:03 AM by 996ttcab
 05/14/2019 08:18 AM

996ttcab

Originally posted by: StirfryMcflurry
Originally posted by: larenyon Stir- Why do they keep paddling out? - There are amazing waves all the time in beautiful clear, blue water (and warm). There are a much smaller amount of people surfing there than there used to be though. We were still paddling out after the first few attacks without too much concern, it was a sharky place to begin with.

Thanks for the clear explanation. I predict even more darwin awards in their future. Lets revisit this post next year.

Don't talk about Darwin awards unless you yourself are willing to stay out of the water and never surf again for the rest of your life.

Edited: 05/14/2019 at 08:19 AM by 996ttcab
 05/14/2019 08:30 AM

996ttcab

Originally posted by: dingpatch Sorry, yes, a bit crude on my part, , , , , But, then, , , , again, , , , it is just as offensive to consider a "cull" of a wild animal for such reasons.
Its all good. Again, who is your company. I may be very little known in the states, but not so in the world. Sorry bud. I think you make fins and I just wan toknow who you are. I am sure the local guys will support you, but one of us living in the Bali, Australian or Indian ocean areas will no support a guy like you.

Edited: 05/14/2019 at 08:49 AM by 996ttcab
 05/14/2019 08:52 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Originally posted by: 996ttcab
Don't talk about Darwin awards unless you yourself are willing to stay out of the water and never surf again for the rest of your life.
I WILL talk about them, and I AM NOT stayin out of the water, that I know of. Got beef? Pull up.
 05/14/2019 08:58 AM

996ttcab

Originally posted by: 996ttcab
I WILL talk about them, and I AM NOT stayin out of the water, that I know of. Got beef? Pull up.
Truth is, you are a bunch of pussies. Never had anything heavy to worry about.
FORUMS : Surfing : Shark attack on Reunion... again.

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .