Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park
Topic Summary: Camping
Created On: 05/21/2017 07:11 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/21/2017 07:11 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

RobdaSlob

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

anyone camped up at Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park in Jacksonville recently?  Have reservations for a surf / beach trip week of July 4th. It has been hit or miss in the past there for me -both in waves and condition of the camp ground. 

thanks

-------------------------
Even a blind hog finds an occasional acorn
 05/21/2017 05:18 PM

Flow

Joined Forum: 11/18/2016

Expect small waves with a crowded, but mellow lineup that week. Lots of longboards. The earlier you get up the more waves you will get. If you've been there before you know the best waves are right up against the poles. Not sure about the campground. I do know that they haven't fixed all the beach access ramps damaged by the hurricane yet. Worth calling and getting more information about the campground. It can be a good fishing spot if you're into that. 

Josh Rubin
 05/22/2017 08:08 AM

DHodges34

Joined Forum: 07/31/2003

I've never been but my wife used to race in a Mountain Bike series that went up there, she always talks about how we should do a family camping trip there. Please report back on how your trip was!
 07/13/2017 04:46 PM

RobdaSlob

Originally posted by: DHodges34 I've never been but my wife used to race in a Mountain Bike series that went up there, she always talks about how we should do a family camping trip there. Please report back on how your trip was!

Short trip report for you....

I won't bother with a surf report - plenty of internet sites describe Mayport Poles.  Camping - we stayed a couple days just prior to July 4th.  Good holiday crowd.  Campground is bigger than I anticipated.  It is located at the south end of the park away from the beach, in the trees.  Mosquito's have to be dealt with.  I was surprised when we pulled in how many tent campers were present but it cooled off nicely at night.  We have a 24' travel trailer with a/c - when I was in my teens and 20's I would of tent camped but now that I am well past that....I'm too soft.  The bathrooms were nicer than anticipated - we had heard horror stories.  Make sure you are stocked going into the park - it is a little drive to a grocery store - There is a campstore there for last minute needs or to rent boards or bikes.  The sites are tight but spaced better than most private campgrounds with vegation between them giving you some privacy.  It is a pretty good hike to the north side of the park where mayport poles are but shorter to the south end beach - my buddy has a bike and tows his boards with it - I was envious.  Plenty of trails to ride if the surf is flat.  We'll be back.

We left there and headed to Flagler.  Couple places around Flagler / north of Daytona to pull right up to the sand.  These continue to be our favorite spots to camp in Florida but with the exception of Gamble Rogers they come at a premium price.

07/13/2017 05:44 PM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: RobdaSlob

Originally posted by: DHodges34 I've never been but my wife used to race in a Mountain Bike series that went up there, she always talks about how we should do a family camping trip there. Please report back on how your trip was!

Short trip report for you....

I won't bother with a surf report - plenty of internet sites describe Mayport Poles.  Camping - we stayed a couple days just prior to July 4th.  Good holiday crowd.  Campground is bigger than I anticipated.  It is located at the south end of the park away from the beach, in the trees.  Mosquito's have to be dealt with.  I was surprised when we pulled in how many tent campers were present but it cooled off nicely at night.  We have a 24' travel trailer with a/c - when I was in my teens and 20's I would of tent camped but now that I am well past that....I'm too soft.  The bathrooms were nicer than anticipated - we had heard horror stories.  Make sure you are stocked going into the park - it is a little drive to a grocery store - There is a campstore there for last minute needs or to rent boards or bikes.  The sites are tight but spaced better than most private campgrounds with vegation between them giving you some privacy.  It is a pretty good hike to the north side of the park where mayport poles are but shorter to the south end beach - my buddy has a bike and tows his boards with it - I was envious.  Plenty of trails to ride if the surf is flat.  We'll be back.

We left there and headed to Flagler.  Couple places around Flagler / north of Daytona to pull right up to the sand.  These continue to be our favorite spots to camp in Florida but with the exception of Gamble Rogers they come at a premium price.

Best campground / location on the entire east coast of Fla is ..... Anastasia State Park in St. Auggie. It is also VERY difficult to get a reservation less than 11 mos in advance. 11 mos is the max that you can reserve through Reserve America, that all of the state campgrounds use.

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 07/13/2017 06:05 PM

bigdave

Joined Forum: 02/17/2008

its a killer spot. bring ur fishing poles because theres a lake with all types of fish couple bass and crappie and mullet. the waves are great . and they got the mt. bike trails that are real fun

07/13/2017 09:03 PM

seaspray

Joined Forum: 05/10/2012

The Poles. My homebreak, so fun when it's on, especially a clean NE swell.

07/14/2017 03:27 AM

wooddave66

Joined Forum: 06/15/2009

We had just heard about this park and it looked pretty interesting on google earth,, thanks for the report sounds like a cool place to camp, didn't know about the trails.
 07/14/2017 04:50 PM

RobdaSlob

Best campground / location on the entire east coast of Fla is ..... Anastasia State Park in St. Auggie. It is also VERY difficult to get a reservation less than 11 mos in advance. 11 mos is the max that you can reserve through Reserve America, that all of the state campgrounds use.

Never stayed at Anastasia but it is on our list.  I've done the 11 mos in advance routine.  Works great for those with predictable schedules, not so great for the rest of us.  What we're finding in Florida is the local run campgrounds - Kathryn Abbey in Jax and Long Point just north of Sebastian are easier to get into.

07/14/2017 06:45 PM

Kimo63

Joined Forum: 04/22/2012

Long Point had the biggest swarm of No-See-Ums that I've ever encountered the last time I was there in the early 80's . Beware them
 07/15/2017 03:13 PM

RobdaSlob

<Long Point no seem ums>

I was there about 2 years ago and it didn't seem so bad.  We had a site towards the middle of the park away from the water so that may have helped.  But also we've been up in south georgia and Florida no seem ums can't compete against sand gnats.

07/16/2017 09:11 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: RobdaSlob

Never stayed at Anastasia but it is on our list.  I've done the 11 mos in advance routine.  Works great for those with predictable schedules, not so great for the rest of us.  What we're finding in Florida is the local run campgrounds - Kathryn Abbey in Jax and Long Point just north of Sebastian are easier to get into.

it is not as difficult to get a reservation in the summer (still not easy) .... but fall, winter & spring, tends to be booked wwwwaaaayyyy in advance

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .