Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: I Didn't want to high jack the Birdwells Thread so
Topic Summary: What are your favorite Boardshorts?
Created On: 05/24/2017 07:10 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/24/2017 07:10 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

I really like the O'Neil Freak Series for stretch and quick drying, but they come with a pocket that has a zipper closure. I've had 3 pairs and in each case after a couple of months of use the zipper has frozen closed. I sent one pair back and they replaced it. But the replaced pair's zipper has frozen closed as well. I like having a pocket that works for my wax so I'm looking for stretch, quick drying and a pocket that works.

-------------------------
Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

05/24/2017 07:48 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

Needs to have stretch, enough length, pocket with zipper and key string located in the front or side.
I've got a pair like this from longboardhouse that I really like, been wearing for about 5 years, zipper still works.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 05/24/2017 07:52 AM

Keveroonus

Joined Forum: 01/19/2007

I'm not loyal to any one brand, but any boardshorts I buy must meet these criteria: 1. The waist band should be flat around the waist. No bunching up or ruffles. I think it's uncomfortable 2. The drawstring should not go around the waist. Attached only to the front of the suit. I find that drawstrings that go all the way around cut into your skin more, but if you loosen them for comfort, they are too loose in the water. 3. No side pockets like normal shorts. Side pockets fill up with water (even if it's netted) and create drag when paddling for waves. 4. Knee pockets are ok as long as they close at the top. Again, to reduce drag 5. No Netting! Does anyone actually like netting?
 05/24/2017 08:23 AM

daner

WG Are you referring to a Longboardhouse store brand boardshort?

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

05/24/2017 09:57 AM

WG

yes

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 05/24/2017 07:33 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I like side pockets, I hate sitting on wax, but the pocket has to be stitched or attached to the shorts. The cut of Hurley baggies fits me the best. I have 10 to 15 pairs and they are all stretch.

I was right.
 05/24/2017 07:55 PM

Long Beard

Joined Forum: 05/13/2007

I work with pretty much every company in the industry and they all send me gear with my checks. Reef and Banks seem to have the most comfortable with the best fit. I like them cut above the knee. 17" preferred. No side pockets or drawstring/volley waste band ( both are inconvenient for surfing).

R I P Mama G.

@Salt.And.Savagery.Fishing

@Laserwolf.Laserwolf
 05/24/2017 08:36 PM

WG

If you don't want the key pocket on the side, then where?

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 05/24/2017 09:58 PM

Long Beard

Joined Forum: 05/13/2007

not a side pocket for wax, keys, etc... the open pockets, like walk shorts. drives me crazy when companies put them on boardshorts. Hybrids...

R I P Mama G.

@Salt.And.Savagery.Fishing

@Laserwolf.Laserwolf
 05/25/2017 08:20 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Originally posted by: Long Beard

not a side pocket for wax, keys, etc... the open pockets, like walk shorts. drives me crazy when companies put them on boardshorts. Hybrids...

Yeah, I don't get that fad, you might as well surf in cutt-offs.

I'm sure someone likes the balloon effect wedgie from draw string shorts, but I'm sure as hell not one of them.

People who never use baggies, shouldn't design baggies. Yes California, I'm talking to you.

I was right.
 05/26/2017 06:21 AM

daner

Cole: "People who never use baggies, shouldn't design baggies. Yes California, I'm talking to you."

LMAO Never thought of it that way!

THAT leaves out half the market. Now I understand why O'Neil never realized their boardshort pocket zippers freeze up!

05/26/2017 06:56 AM

WG

Originally posted by: Long Beard

agree

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 05/29/2017 09:36 AM

surferKev07

Joined Forum: 06/08/2007

I've had really good luck with Volcom Mod-Tech trunks the past couple of summers. Zippers work well even after a couple of Florida surf seasons.
 05/29/2017 09:46 AM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

I Have been useing patigonia board Shorts for years. buy one pair and you are pretty much set for life.  i Have two pair that are at least 10 years old. bought a new pair just to have something diffrent to wear that was two years ago.  They fit they are comfortable may not be the fastest at Drying or a big beach fashion statement.  An Old Friend in Encinitas hasa pair of Birdwells from the mid 70s they were bright orange They have faded so much they are some odd color pale yellow. Still in service resin splatered stained sewn up here and there.  I just wish that katin got back to making real Board shorts.  Now they are just another beach fashion . Sad to think about that. 

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .