Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Surfing in France
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/13/2017 06:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/13/2017 06:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

frothing321

Joined Forum: 01/29/2017

anyone know anything about surfing in france? hostels? where to go and stay?

Seeing cheap flights and i have a friend I want to visit. Would like to surf and see the country.

Thanks

-Frothing321

07/13/2017 10:13 PM

larenyon

Joined Forum: 10/19/2009

Can you be a little more specific on what you are looking for? Types of waves, season you are going? What you want to see. It's a big place.

07/14/2017 06:40 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

You might be interested in Brittany (if Cornwall is good in winter, so should Brittany be), but the main place is the southwest, Hossegor, Anglet, Biarritz, extending into Spain.  Pays Basque.  The area seems to be favored by offshore bathymetry, deep water comes close to shore and seems to focus wave energy.  In any case, they have some of the great beach breaks.  

A somewhat useful news site:  Surf prévention.

There are loads of great surfing videos.  These offbeat ones might give some ideeas.  Big waves at Biarritz during Indian summer.  The same source also provided "Oh my god! The most crowded surf spot in the world (Biarritz)"  Several comments from Cornwall expressed "feeling pretty blessed compared to spots like these"

Same spot, late March.  Biarritz has a visitor, retired Oahu lifeguard and bodysurfer Mark Cunningham.   Keep an eye on the water.  There's a whole flock of people out there.  

07/14/2017 10:48 AM

occy

Joined Forum: 02/20/2012

I don't know anything, but you are right about some good airfare deals to France. Also, to Zurich out of DC:

DEPART: New York, USA

ARRIVE: Paris, France Reykjavik, Iceland

RETURN: New York, USA

DATES: Limited availability from September to November 2017

Example dates: New York – Paris – New York: $348

10th-19th Sep 10th-21st Sep 11th-19th Sep 19th Oct – 2nd Nov

New York – Paris – Reykjavik – New York: $373

4th-11th-18th Sep 4th-12th-18th Sep 5th-11th-19th Sep 5th-12th-19th Sep possibly more…

STOPS: Reykjavik

AIRLINES: Icelandair

-------------------------

Ask me how to take almost free surf trips anywhere.

07/14/2017 11:05 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

DAMN... 350 to FRANCE.... during swell season?!

Where's my beret?  I may be getting shacked on topless beaches 

07/14/2017 12:28 PM

ww

Icelandair goes to CDG (Charles de Gaulle), which has its own high speed train station.  Excellent airport.  

Norwegian is going to have nonstop flights, Orlando-Paris for somewhat more, once a week.

At those Icelandair prices, GO.  Even if you don't even get out of Paris.

paris Sorbonne

07/14/2017 12:51 PM

Waverider969

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

sign me up!!  My girlfriend always wanted to go to France. Kill two birds with one stone.

07/14/2017 01:00 PM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Factor in the price of getting to NY.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

07/14/2017 01:54 PM

ww

Norwegian will have weekly flights from Orlando to Paris and back.  Minimum fare (no baggage) is $175 one way.  Realistic round trip fares, Oct-Nov and Jan run about $550.  

I think Icelandair (and others) may be about double that.

07/14/2017 03:05 PM

SurfCaster

Joined Forum: 02/02/2007

When I visited Biarritz in 1994 there was a hostel and campground up the hill. We camped there for a few days. Pretty good walk to the beach but they had rental bikes and you could catch a ride with other surfers who had cars. Surf is of course barreling beach break, reminds me a bit of Hermosa in Costa Rica. You're close to Hossegor, La Barre and Anglet, and if it gets big Guethary is nearby and can handle. I seem to recall you could bring a sponge on the local bus but no surfboards, hopefully that's changed by now. Our best session was at Cavaliers, couple feet overhead and thumping barrels. We figured the spot got its name from the sunbathers attitude toward wearing clothes! There are many surf options in France and I'm sure most have hostels or camping. Nothing beats practicing your French with beautiful women after a surf session over a fire and bottle of Bordeaux.

"If I say it's safe to surf this beach, captain, then it's safe to surf this beach!"
 07/18/2017 07:04 AM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

I scored Hossegor just prior to the contest in 2008. Women, wine, and waves. One of the best trips ever. Stayed with a crew in Le Gran Vag, forever affectionately known as The Big Vag, also the current name of our fantasy surf clubhouse. The condo style apt. was right on the plaza and offered many a perk. September is da bomb there. Everyone goes there on holiday in August and early September. Take some cash with you, because it aint cheap, but be prepared to live the good life.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
FORUMS : Surfing : Surfing in France

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .