Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: New Wave Pool Technology
Topic Summary: Trying to bring prices down
Created On: 07/15/2017 06:17 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/15/2017 06:17 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

water

Joined Forum: 02/14/2010

Hello fellow surfers.  I’m looking for feedback on a new wave pool technology.  I have built a website to advertise and explain it.  No pumps, pulleys, or electricity needed.  Just gravity and water flow.  95% more energy efficient and half as much to build.  

RiverSurfSystems.com

Edited: 07/15/2017 at 06:00 PM by water
 07/15/2017 08:39 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

St. Johns River next?
 07/15/2017 06:05 PM

water

I wish I could build one in the St Johns.

07/16/2017 05:33 AM

Cloudsurfer

Joined Forum: 03/09/2010

Like it!

07/18/2017 05:34 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Looks like a good wave to me! Good Luck!
 07/18/2017 06:05 AM

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

Really cool! Just wish we had the machine from I Shrunk the Kids, so we could shrink down and surf it!

Would this be more similar to a standing river wave or the adrenaline wave without the blue foam?

07/18/2017 03:55 PM

water

Sector9,

If I was 2" tall I'd never leave my garage.  I am not familiar with the adrenaline wave with the blue foam.  This is a standing river wave with no ramp below it.  Full depth like an ocean wave.

07/18/2017 05:05 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

An irrigation ditch in the vicinity of Bend, Oregon provides a bit of a prototype.  California has big-enough aqueducts.  I have difficulty thinking of rivers with large-enough diversions to support wave parks.  Of course stretches with desirable whitewater are highly valued by kayakers and rafters.

07/19/2017 03:34 AM

water

ww,

Cool irrigation ditch.  Adding features to that flow would help. 

Googleing  "River Surfing" yields lots of results.  My favoriets are the Zambezi and Eisbach.  There are even towns in Colorado making surfing river waves as comunity enhancment projects, complete with viewing stadiums.  I know some kayakers enjoy surfing the river waves within rapids.  Maybe just up or down stream from popular rapids would be a good spot?

There are alot of people doing it.  http://www.riverbreak.com/

Edited: 07/19/2017 at 03:45 AM by water
 07/19/2017 05:02 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

That is really cool, nice website as well.

-------------------------
I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 12/30/2017 03:01 PM

water

I ended up geting an interview published at RiverBreak.com  I'm getting a little traction.   Can anyone sponsor me to go to Surf Expo so I can talk to some of the corps about sponsoring a project?  I would be forever grateful. 

http://riverbreak.com/how-to/wave-construction/river-surf-systems/

12/30/2017 04:30 PM

TheFirstPeakProject

Joined Forum: 01/12/2016

River waves and man-made river surfing has been around for a LOOONG time, especially in Canada. Many of Canada's northern rivers are dammed, meaning the river can be turned on and off. During off times, river surfing companies such as SurfAnywhere have installed specialty ramps and bottom features to make good waves.

SurfAnywhere

In a pool or controlled environment, American Wave Machines and CityWave are two companies that dominate the River Surfing industry.

Taking the River Surfing game to a next level is the Wave House brand of sheet flow rides with barrels known as FlowBarrel (not Flowrider). These venues offer a ride that allows bigger airs and moves borrowed from wakeboarding and snowboarding. In other words, people can get real with it.

water - Besides building a model in your garage and taking some sexy photos, what is new regarding your technology or its application?

The First Peak Project is a 501(c)(3) public benefit organization whose mission is to restore the legendary wave First Peak at Sebastian Inlet to its former glory. 

www.firstpeak.org

Edited: 12/30/2017 at 06:31 PM by TheFirstPeakProject
 12/30/2017 07:38 PM

water

Dear TheFirstPeakProject,

An honor to hear that you think my photos are sexy.  I have ridden the “Pumped” thin sheet flow systems.  They remind me of snowboarding on a bad lumpy snow day.  Very choppy.  No Zen.  But big moves are attainable.    

My system is the only one that relies solely on the hydraulic jump (Google it) phenomenon.  As such I can move the hydraulic jump (stationary wave) up and down river to encounter a different bottom contours creating different wave shapes in real time by just opening and closign a gate.  The other guys are trying to adjust the bottom of the river in real time.  I am also the only one creating a glassy deep barrel.  That’s why my prototype pictures look sexier.  I have a clean glassy deep stable barrel.  Patent Pending.   

Surf Anywhere and McLaughlin whitewater both have good systems for creating a clean lump of a wave that is comparable to longboarding at Waikiki.  Must of us really want a more hi performance wave than that.  Like this Zambezi barrel.  How much more popular would Montreal’s Habitat 67 be if it was a barrel like that. 

Another key distinction is water flow volume.  The pumped sheet flows are in the neighborhood of 100 CFS (edited from gallons/s)  and the manmade river waves are mostly in the low hundreds with notable exception to Colorado’s Glenwood springs.   In an effort t to mimic ocean waves as accurately as I can my system need 3,500 CFS on the low end to create a barrel to squeeze into.  More testing is needed to firm up that number. 

Please let me know if I can clarify anything further. 

PS.  Army Core of Engineers already did a number on first peak.  Whats new with your technology?

Edited: 01/06/2018 at 09:01 AM by water
 12/30/2017 09:39 PM

TheFirstPeakProject

We’re just trying to grow some tube worms. Duck tape and plywood would do the trick. Low tech. Keep it simple.

We googled your “hydraulic jump.” There’s patents all over the place since the 1970’s that claim “hydraulic jumps for surfing rides."

Good luck with your river project.

The First Peak Project is a 501(c)(3) public benefit organization whose mission is to restore the legendary wave First Peak at Sebastian Inlet to its former glory. 

www.firstpeak.org

Edited: 12/31/2017 at 10:46 AM by TheFirstPeakProject
 12/31/2017 07:57 AM

LostSherpa

Joined Forum: 05/02/2012

havent the rivers suffered enough. 

The Dude Abides.

http://www.rollerphotography.com/

01/01/2018 01:19 PM

water

Lost Sherpa,

I am unaware of suffering I am causing the rivers.  Can you please elaborate?

The Pea Project,

You sound less than genuine.  Are you intentionally misleading people?

Many patents “claim”.  Most do not accomplish their claims.  Example: Perpetual Motion.  

Thanks for providing questions that allow me to talk about my system.  I visited your website and donated a stick of gum.  Hope it helps hold your reef together.  Best of luck to you too.  Hope to see your prototype based on your scientific supercomputer soon.   

01/01/2018 02:41 PM

TheFirstPeakProject

water - we checked your math and something appears to be off with the flowrates you provided. We sent you a PM with suggested corrections.

www.firstpeak.org

Edited: 01/02/2018 at 05:04 AM by TheFirstPeakProject
 01/02/2018 12:34 PM

EverySurfer

Joined Forum: 11/29/2013

Nice man! Rooting for ya.

I actually work at NLand Surf Park in Austin (I'm from FL) and the talk about the future wave technology is so exciting. It's like a giant crescendo of inovation. Such a cool time to be alive

Read through your About page and Wavegarden actually has the three parks open to public in Spain, Texas, and Wales (not Norway). thought I'd throw it out there. Also, for what it's worth, in Austin it's 90/hour on the reef wave, but in Wales it's half that. yew!

I'll be watching you!

Edit:

You should try to contact people at Wavegarden and/or Doug Coors (owner of NLand and Coors brewery) if you're interested in investments/ partnerships. I'm sure they might be interested in what you've got going on. I know Mr. Coors is very enviornmentaly aware person, he might really like what you've got!

Edited: 01/02/2018 at 12:43 PM by EverySurfer
 01/04/2018 06:33 PM

water

Evan,

Thanks a bunch.  That’s great that Coors and NLand are related.  Surf and suds.  I had no idea.  I will follow up.   

I feel lucky to be alive today too.  Technology acros the board is amaizing and improving so fast. 

01/05/2018 07:35 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Originally posted by: water

Dear TheFirstPeakProject,

An honor to hear that you think my photos are sexy.  I have ridden the "Pumped" thin sheet flow systems.  They remind me of snowboarding on a bad lumpy snow day.  Very choppy.  No Zen.  But big moves are attainable.    

My system is the only one that relies solely on the hydraulic jump (Google it) phenomenon.  As such I can move the hydraulic jump (stationary wave) up and down river to encounter a different bottom contours creating different wave shapes in real time by just opening and closign a gate.  The other guys are trying to adjust the bottom of the river in real time.  I am also the only one creating a glassy deep barrel.  That's why my prototype pictures look sexier.  I have a clean glassy deep stable barrel.  Patent Pending.   

Surf Anywhere and McLaughlin whitewater both have good systems for creating a clean lump of a wave that is comparable to longboarding at Waikiki.  Must of us really want a more hi performance wave than that.  Like this Zambezi barrel.  How much more popular would Montreal's Habitat">http://riverbreak.com/spots/habitat-67/">Habitat 67 be if it was a barrel like that. 

Another key distinction is water flow volume.  The pumped sheet flows are in the neighborhood of 100 gallons per second and the manmade river waves are mostly in the low hundreds with notable exception to Colorado's Glenwood springs.   In an effort t to mimic ocean waves as accurately as I can my system need 3,500 CFS on the low end to create a barrel to squeeze into.  More testing is needed to firm up that number. 

Please let me know if I can clarify anything further. 

PS.  Army Core of Engineers already did a number on first peak.  Whats new with your technology?

LOL he was hatin' haters but some of it must have rubbed off.

Looks is super sick! typhoon lagoon could use a face lift, but believe they are having trouble using the FL natural water so that may be an issue... keep us posted!

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
FORUMS : Surfing : New Wave Pool Technology

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .