Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Joel Tudor's Deleted Instagram Post Ignites Fiery Surfboard Debate
Topic Summary: “Another one down to China“
Created On: 07/20/2017 11:01 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/20/2017 11:01 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Joel Tudor's Deleted Instagram Post Ignites Fiery Surfboard Debate

http://www.theinertia.com/surf...iery-surfboard-debate/
 07/20/2017 11:10 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Yea. Some of what I read is true. I got friends who are buying and riding these Sam's Club foam boards. Who started that craze? Jamie O'Brien and his Beater board riding at Pipe. Who cares if after a year they start absorbing water and get heavy- at $100 a pop you just get a new one. Really bad for the sport, local and nathional shapers and the environment. imo. Imagine some day only foamies are available! YUK

-------------------------
Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

07/20/2017 12:38 PM

bus

Joined Forum: 10/01/2007

there was a locally produced 'film' (sd video)where some local shapers warned of the offshore crap filling the markets...but none suspected the 'pros' of doing it

07/20/2017 01:06 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

As the sport of surfing becomes more mainstream, so will the industry...

Think automobiles, and any other consumer product, its all supply and demand.

I don't see anything wrong with it, I have happily forked over $275 for a BRAND NEW 7S epoxy "global surf industries" popout and got a couple good 2 years of shredding on it.

I also value forking over more and enjoyed watching Joe Johnson handshape a board and talk about design etc....

Joel is always poopooing about something IMO!

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 07/20/2017 01:07 PM

surferKev07

Joined Forum: 06/08/2007

I bought a few foam boards over the years, but no local shapers ever lost a sale from me because of it. I would have bought a foamie to start my kid out 20 years ago if I had a kid back then. I ride my kid's foam boards for a kick when it's super small and I know a ton of other surfers that do the same. I'd rather surf with beginners on soft tops over hard tops any day. If you truly like surfing, you will eventually buy a real board. I don't see how that's bad for the sport or industry. I think the hard top pop-outs from China are the real problem.
 07/20/2017 01:29 PM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

I don't think too many of our local genius shapers are losing much business to foamies.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 07/20/2017 01:39 PM

3rdworldlover

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Slater's first board was a foamy.
 07/20/2017 02:15 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Slater's doing pop-outs?

Another interesting article off that link:
Santa Cruz Surf Legend Arrested on Suspicion of Murder

Back in the '70s, a Santa Cruz surfer named Kevin Reed was turning heads. He landed the cover of a 1975 issue of Surfing Magazine, and he's credited with being the first person to do aerials. Now, he's accused of murder.

07/20/2017 02:16 PM

daner

Mark my words, it won't be long before we'll be buying foamies off Amazon and they'll be delivered by drones!

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

07/20/2017 07:13 PM

sharkey

Joined Forum: 01/07/2009

Maybe, and I just had Amazon deliver me a surfboard to my front porch a couple months ago, but tonight I picked up a custom Sharpe and I am STOKED!

07/21/2017 07:04 AM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

Foam boards are not the problem. They account for a small percentage of boards sold. Most will go to people just looking for a toy to play with in the ocean or pool. Mass produced Boards out of Asia are a bigger problem. Thousands of trendy boards built and shipped. When one of their models sales go down they can discount that board without losing to much profit. The shops get terms from those large manufacturers that smaller builders just can't match. Most surfers are just following trends riding what the pros ride. It has been that way for a long time. If Kelly said his best Board is a six foot 17.5 wide swallow tail with hard rail nose to tail. You can bet that thousands of 17.5 wide swallow tails will be in the shops and in the water within 30 days.

07/21/2017 08:26 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Originally posted by: artz Foam boards are not the problem. They account for a small percentage of boards sold. Most will go to people just looking for a toy to play with in the ocean or pool. Mass produced Boards out of Asia are a bigger problem. Thousands of trendy boards built and shipped. When one of their models sales go down they can discount that board without losing to much profit. The shops get terms from those large manufacturers that smaller builders just can't match. Most surfers are just following trends riding what the pros ride. It has been that way for a long time. If Kelly said his best Board is a six foot 17.5 wide swallow tail with hard rail nose to tail. You can bet that thousands of 17.5 wide swallow tails will be in the shops and in the water within 30 days.

This says it all....

07/21/2017 11:44 AM

SpinK

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

dang sharkey, was that the box Vader pee'd on in your porch?

07/22/2017 09:09 AM

Skunkape

Joined Forum: 08/03/2015

fake money has caused this not China.

07/22/2017 06:25 PM

seaspray

Joined Forum: 05/10/2012

I wonder who I get to blame if I get laid off from my job

07/24/2017 12:11 PM

surferclimber

Joined Forum: 01/23/2011

Originally posted by: Skunkape fake money has caused this not China.

YEP!!!!! Credit card bad, instead pay cash & save for future- invest in hard assets not just stocks...

Ohh and for surfboards absolutely anything less than the board starting as convention between you & shaper just messes up the whole flow of things IMHO 

get up early and go surf - it'll make that hangover go away and/or make the workday more tolerable :)

07/24/2017 01:01 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Saw a funny comment about how Tudor has surftec pop out models also so kind of a glass house throwing stones.

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 07/24/2017 01:46 PM

Skunkape

Since that witches coven took over our monetary system in dec. of 1913 they've destroyed 98% of the purchasing power of the dollar. So manufacturers have to use cheaper inputs (materials and labor) in order to keep finished goods affordable to their customers. 

07/24/2017 02:02 PM

daner

Originally posted by: Skunkape

Since that witches coven took over our monetary system in dec. of 1913 they've destroyed 98% of the purchasing power of the dollar. So manufacturers have to use cheaper inputs (materials and labor) in order to keep finished goods affordable to their customers. 

Surfing first came to the US around 1913. I bet there is a connection!

07/24/2017 03:30 PM

Skunkape

Yeh, and since the dollar is currently (global reserve status) it enables us and, requires us to run huge trade deficits with our trading partners. 

Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .