Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Puerto Rico
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/02/2017 06:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/04/2017 01:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

I can't speak for other people, but I know when we lost the roof of our property and didn't have electric for a few weeks, I was more than happy to have a tourist or two to spend money in our town and hopefully stay at our place. Of course we weren't really roughing it in comparison to PR. (To be honest, I was more annoyed about people acting as if FL had fallen into the ocean.)

Not everyones going to see it the same way, but I guess if you're staying with a local, helping out a bit, and spending money while enjoying a few surf sessions with your local Puerto Rican friend;

What's the worst that will happen?

11/04/2017 01:17 PM

palmtreeg

Joined Forum: 04/27/2010

rinconsurfreport.com

-------------------------
Brevard Surf Report
 11/04/2017 01:24 PM

palmtreeg

Joined Forum: 04/27/2010

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/science-and-health/2017/9/26/16365994/hurricane-maria-2017-puerto-rico-san-juan-humanitarian-disaster-electricty-fuel-flights-facts

Interesting article...

Rinconsurfreport.com had an understandable lag in reports a month after Maria; may want to touch base with him to see what is needed down there....

Brevard Surf Report
 11/04/2017 01:48 PM

mushyman

Joined Forum: 10/09/2013

I just talked to Tom Luker, literally minutes ago, he says come on down, waves are clean, beautiful, and empty...

Do you know what Wubba-LubbA-Dub-Dub means in BirdPerson language?
 11/06/2017 04:06 AM

onegoodturn

Joined Forum: 10/27/2013

60 minutes did a piece last night on PR. Looks like a long road ahead

11/06/2017 12:48 PM

sfds

Joined Forum: 06/25/2007

Originally posted by: onegoodturn   Well peeps, after 20 plus million galllons of RAW DUECE was frapped into the river which comes out the inlet where I like to surf

here f'ing here.  Dont forget all the while they continue to steal our money in their half cent tax the sheeple voted on themselves.  Hell, maybe the county can fund another study to see whats wrong with the river.  And I love all the people that start talking about how its no big deal because compared to other contributors its negligible.  First off, its egregious.  Period.  Whether or not there's worse contributors is beside the point.  This is 2017 not 1950.  Its embarrassing.  Secondly, there's alot of people spouting off buzz words about the septic tanks and muck and runoff and and and.  It all sucks.  But lets not pretend like this is some exact science that can be studied and you can just arrive at 10.2% is from this, 33.6% is from this...with the size of the county and river, growth, all the dynamics/variables and all the contributing factors, its a SWAG at best.  Prioritizing the river not being the county's turd overflow contingency plan seems like a reasonable place to start.

11/06/2017 11:00 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

UPS has resumed service to all of Puerto Rico.  

11/07/2017 08:36 AM

CrazyTom

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

sfds- thanks, you are far from the only angry one. got my property tax; doubled from last year. wth? enjoyed a high tide session yesterday now my throat hurts like I surfed in jersey. the ones making bank say "that's not the reality". they obviously don't work and play locally. way to exploit a once diverse fishery. a study on the dolphins in the river a few years back was far from positive. sad, they have to live in it 24/7.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated" - Mahatma Ghandi.

sorry. this is about PR. Hoping things get better. Heck, I'd go there and camp if I could.

Peace, Love and SOUL!

Edited: 11/07/2017 at 08:48 AM by CrazyTom
 11/07/2017 10:53 AM

weldertom2

Joined Forum: 04/14/2005

Something YOU can DO NOW!

How many of you donated to Project Agua Limpia for Puerto Rico- Aguadilla? ( See their page on Facebook )

Project Agua Limpia For Puerto Rico- Aguadillahttps://www.facebook.com/groups/362675767504874/

A fundraiser was held in Melbourne Beach recently- they raised 5000K to purchase water filters and related apparatus to distribute to friends and family in the Isabela/ Aguadilla area. The Wise's are down there right now making a difference!

Enough jaw flapping. Do something or donate kids!

Indialantic Ace Hardware donated buckets and a huge box of vegetable seeds to the project - all is being shared on the island this week..............
 11/07/2017 04:29 PM

stlsrfn1

Joined Forum: 08/02/2016

Just liberals?  Tsk.

11/08/2017 04:34 AM

dingpatch

From a Monday (11/6) thread on Jamboards:

"Talked to a friend who lives in Rincon. Not so good in there. He says no water/ electricity till Jan/Feb. Season is a goner. Himself and others will not even try to open their hotels/ B&B for a long time. Sad."

Dora Hates You
 11/08/2017 08:10 AM

sfds

Joined Forum: 06/25/2007

Originally posted by: CrazyTom sfds- thanks, you are far from the only angry one. got my property tax; doubled from last year. wth? enjoyed a high tide session yesterday now my throat hurts like I surfed in jersey. the ones making bank say "that's not the reality". they obviously don't work and play locally. way to exploit a once diverse fishery. a study on the dolphins in the river a few years back was far from positive. sad, they have to live in it 24/7. "The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated" - Mahatma Ghandi. sorry. this is about PR. Hoping things get better. Heck, I'd go there and camp if I could.

To contribute somehting toward the thread topic - a friend of mine lives in San Juan.  He is a professional, so he isnt living in the hood.  His power return projection is January.  "The new norm is not good" was his phrase - 4 hours for gas, 2 hours for food/meds, banks were out of cash (this was a while back - this may have improved).  Desperation was setting in and crime was increasing.  Misquotos the size of dragonflies.  I asked what I could send him and he asked for sparkplugs for his generator.

11/08/2017 09:04 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

These people want your business,

+1

Tourism is the major part of the Economy. PR has all ways been a good deal. Cheap and close. Perhaps the crowds have thinned.

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 11/08/2017 09:36 AM

Tiptime

Taino Mini Golf in Aguadilla has water & power. Taino Mini Golf

The Wavecaster
 11/08/2017 09:40 AM

mushyman

Joined Forum: 10/09/2013

Originally posted by: dingpatch

From a Monday (11/6) thread on Jamboards:

"Talked to a friend who lives in Rincon. Not so good in there. He says no water/ electricity till Jan/Feb. Season is a goner. Himself and others will not even try to open their hotels/ B&B for a long time. Sad."

This is not what I heard from Luker or Graves bros. they want folks to come down...Luker has power and water 100%...econo and selectos in Aguadilla are almost fully stocked. easy to go, more difficult to leave still...

Do you know what Wubba-LubbA-Dub-Dub means in BirdPerson language?
 11/11/2017 08:33 PM

ww

The Corps of Engineers has doubled its contract with PowerSecure, a Raleigh-area North Carolina company, to connect transmission lines to power plants.  They have been working on the west side of the island.  El Nuevo Día

An economist's brief column suggests that lack of electricity and telecoms is likely to permanently damage the Puerto Rican economy, which was already suffering seriously from ridiculously expensive, unreliable electricity.  

11/12/2017 11:03 AM

jettyparksurfer

Joined Forum: 07/25/2009

So basically there are no crowds thru february? Im in!

11/13/2017 01:58 PM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

I just got back from PR. I went to pick up the pieces of my farm and help my friends. I brought relief supplies and money and I worked my ass off in tropical difficult conditions, but did squeeze in a surf session and had a great time.

There are places to stay and surf. The coastlines took some big hits. Aguadilla and Isabella are still pretty roughed up. Many gas stations and businesses on the whole are still running on generators, but seem fully stocked with minimal lines. Water is hit or miss outside of the primary municipalities around the coast. The "off the beaten path" roads are dangerous if you are not on your toes. There are many wires laying across the streets, landslides are still occurring, and there damage everywhere. Many homes without roofs, collapsed structures, etc but a lot of progress has been made and is continuing to be made in order to address the hazards. Aside from a flat tire in the middle of the Guajataca Forest in the middle of the night, I had no accidents. But I am used to driving there and kind of enjoy the wild west, communication based approach to traffic.

I spent most of my trip in Mayaguez, close to my farm. Mayaguez is in really good shape and I had a couple good nights hanging out with the college kids in town.

I drove to San Juan through the south and through the north for an airport run. Had no problems.

I never felt any threat or danger from anyone, but I walk with humility and meet people with a smile. I also speak Spanish. The local economy will appreciate tourism, and I would guess that the breaks will be significantly lower numbers than typical seasons. Your dollars will help bring normalcy and much needed income to the island. Aguadilla airport was fully functional and I actually had my flights changed to daytime arrivals and departures instead of the usual red eye flights. Cash will likely be your best means of purchases, but some places are beginning to get their credit card machines operating.

The people of PR are incredibly resilient and it was extremely inspirational and uplifting to see everyone taking this tragedy in stride, keeping their heads up, finding light and joy in the simple things, and working steadily with the Tropical Caribbean rhythm that mother nature mandates. As usual, I met many strangers who were giving, loving, and welcoming. With the right perspective and attitude, it could be one of the more memorable trips of your life because it will be about more than surfing and partying.

I would say Go, but be sensitive to what they have just experienced, stay humble and on your toes, and help out any way you can.

I'm going with my family for New Years and Tres Reyes...lady and 5 year old boy.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Edited: 11/14/2017 at 11:02 AM by Karma
 11/16/2017 07:51 PM

ww

Thanks for reporting.

Spirit Airlines reports:  "So far, we have operated 252 other regularly scheduled flights to San Juan and Aguadilla that have ferried emergency personnel and over 300,000 lbs. of relief supplies to the area since the storm." 

Andres Oppenheimer, columnist at the Miami Herald:  "More than 156,000 Puerto Ricans have moved to Florida . . . since the storm hit the island in September." 

Edited: 11/16/2017 at 08:18 PM by ww
 11/16/2017 09:19 PM

EverySurfer

Joined Forum: 11/29/2013

Got a trip planned early January. No trip insurance and everything's paid for so there's no turning back.

I say go for it man. See ya down there!

Edited: 12/19/2017 at 08:23 PM by EverySurfer
FORUMS : Surfing : Puerto Rico

<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .