Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Matapalo, Backwash, Pan Dulce
Topic Summary: Who has surfed these spots lately?
Created On: 01/31/2018 09:13 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/31/2018 09:13 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

havanabama

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

Just got back from Playa Guiones, man is it crowded. Not going back for a long time even though I love that wave. The over development is crazy there now.

A few friends told me to go to Backwash and Pan Dulce, can be good LB waves where Matapalo is rocky and can be big and dangerous. As an old surfer dude, I was wondering who has surfed Backwash and Pan Dulce and how was it and what conditions make it work best. Prolly headed down there sans family in a couple months.

Thanks, Pura Vida.

-------------------------
Ah, religion, bigotry dressed up as morality.
 01/31/2018 10:10 AM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Matapalo is rocky but super fun and you can get shacked.  

Stayed here and surf is right down the hill.  https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6193102   

Stop hatin' 

P.S. Rainy season it can be tough to get deep in there

02/01/2018 06:10 AM

havanabama

Thanks, but that place is a little rich for my blood and what I want to get out of a trip there. More cabina near the beach with mosquito netting! Googled so pics of Pan Dulce and looks like a mellow right point break. My questions are like, does it need to be big a Matapalo to be working at Pan Dulce?

02/01/2018 06:39 AM

Ppeterson

Joined Forum: 09/15/2011

Surfed there several times over the last 25 years.  Can be awesome, can be flat depending on swell.  If there is no swell, there is nowhere close to go so be prepared to be shut down for days at a time.  More than 6 people in the lineup is a crowd since it is all single point breaks, and with today's technology word gets out fast when it is on.  And yes, it can be rough getting in and out during rainy season, 4x4 or not.  When the rivers fill, you'll need a submarine to get across.

02/01/2018 06:03 PM

nicacondo

Joined Forum: 05/24/2011

What he said.  Takes a pretty good sized swell and the right angle to make pan dulce work.  Definitely rocky.  Backwash is fun but if more than a few people show up it can be a hassle.  We flew there on Sansa/Nature Air but longboards probably can't go on those small planes.  Stayed at Encanta Vida which was decent.  Guy from San Diego owned it and took care of you.  You could walk to all the breaks from his place.  I saw photos of those places with ideal conditions and it looked magical.  Challenging access does limit the crowds somewhat but there are plenty of "locals" hanging around.  

02/01/2018 09:38 PM

water

Joined Forum: 02/14/2010

What they said.  I went once 10 years or so back.  no hotels.  only a coupel exspensive eco lodges.  camping is an option ont he beach, but no conveinint stroes.  30 plus minute drive back to town on bad road to get to te store.  

Amaizing very rainy jungle.  lots of wild life.  a monkey toup pased within 15 foto of us while we sat.  one toucan made a brief apearance.  3 days without a single phone ringigin. (thats probblay changed) 

Beautiful place.  But I prefer more ride time and afordable lodging.  wish i had time to go back though  

02/02/2018 03:51 PM

sarasotasurfer

Joined Forum: 07/27/2003

Big tiger sharks don’t go.  Long drive w potholes that can swallow the car.  A nature air just crashed a couple weeks back killing all aboard.  

02/02/2018 09:33 PM

GREG

Joined Forum: 08/20/2003

I'm glad you decided to find out for yourself. My friends were there for a Christmas swell and caught it well overhead, but crowded on the peak at Pan Dulce and Backwash. I found a basic house rental for $180/night, and then there's super-luxury or camping. When I surf there, I usually arrive by boat from Pavones since it's easier to check each spot and pick the least crowded one at the right tide.

The road is better, and the shark sightings infrequent, but if you want to keep the crowds down I can mention the illegal gold diggers in Corcovado who may kill you if you catch them. Or the random boats carrying tons of cocaine (and probably weapons) that you may encounter. (they'll probably kill you, too) Or the flies that lay eggs under your skin and then grow into worms. Is that enough disincentive?

http://www.crsurf.com ~ CR Surf Travel Company

http://www.vacationsbygreg.com
Instagram - @crsurf
 02/03/2018 07:21 AM

wtf

Joined Forum: 11/23/2005

There's no waves there of interest. Best to look elsewhere...

QOP = Terrorists
FK = Gay
 02/04/2018 08:40 AM

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

I got the worse beating of my life at Matapalo the first and only time I went out there. My buds always said it was like a machine made wave, the next same as the first. It was in the 90's before the landslide raise the beach up and out several meters. Started out 6 to 8 ft faces. Sweet lines. I caught one and when I came back and got to the house sized boulder (takeoff point) a bigger wave was feathering and about to pitch. I duck dove, when I came up, I see a lip coming down from twice the height. As I attempted a second dive, the wave hit me in the butt, pulled my trunks down to my toes and mooshed me into the bottom. I came up with my trunks in my toes to see another coming down on me. Came up again, but this time just blew me up in the air and I ended up on the beach with my trunks in my toes. There was a guy there, that made a point to walk up to me to say, "I can't believe you went out today." Te jodo" was my response as I was pulling my suit back up.
 02/04/2018 08:55 AM

SlimyBritches

I Camped there for a couple of days in 01 after the land slide. Before you could pull up and look. This time there were a bunch of trees and you had to walk up to the edge of the forest to see the break. There still was only 1 paddle out and paddle in spot. I was going to make a second try but the aura of the place was dark. I watched as everyone else went out at the only spot. I sucked it up, put on my leash and started down the incline to the water line when this head high shore break crashed in front of me as if saying, "come on out bitch. It's been a while." I went back and laid in my hammock.
It was about sunset when the vegetation started moving. Hundreds of hermit crabs were fleeing the area. THEN, the fuggin ants came.
When putting up camp I'd spray Deet on the base of the trees I tied my hammock to and wrap duct tape upside down around the ropes. I was still ready to make a run to the water if they breached my security. For what seem like forever, all I see of the jungle floor was a black undulating mass of ants and a half of a Guaro infused watermelon. And then they were gone.
 02/04/2018 08:57 AM

SlimyBritches

If you go north over the mountain, There's a sweet break at Carate. Plus the cabo blanco game reserve. Plus the Corcovado Game reserve.
 02/05/2018 06:55 AM

havanabama

As an old longboarder, I'd be happy with shoulder high Pan Dulce. Not even considering Matapalo. Thanks for all the story guys, guess it's time to make mine. Spending my first night on the way down with GREG, long time no see, thanks. Just looking for a different adventure than over crowed Guiones. Ready for animals of all types, except the guys in the grey suits. Looks like I'm stay in Casa Babu right on the beach at Pan Dulce.

02/07/2018 06:14 PM

Central Floridave

I've been there numerous times. Sweet spot for sure. 3 point breaks all within 15 minute walking distance. It can get crowded though. When you see the boats coming over from pavones hurry and catch as many waves as you can as your wave count goes down! The road in does suck if it has been raining. Get your last supplies at jiminez. have fun! Jealous. Wish I could go back.
 02/08/2018 06:04 AM

Cole

15 years ago you could get Pavones more or less alone during mid week, I guess those days are gone.

Is there anywhere other than the thumping beach breaks that don't have people all over them?

I was right.
 02/08/2018 02:52 PM

havanabama

Well, tickets bought, reservations at Casa Bambu Resort, hope something shows to surf. Being right at Pan Dulce we should get the first waves before people show and we can stay all day if needed. I have a lb, 7-6, and a 8-0 soft gun, so this old man should have the weapons. Hope to do some hiking with animal pics. Pura Vida Maes

02/09/2018 12:07 PM

pumphouse

have a blast Bama!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw
 02/10/2018 09:59 AM

oldsufr3

Joined Forum: 08/10/2003

Heading down to CR in a few weeks. Does anybody know what letter you need from your car insurance Company to avoid some of the rental cost?

Need more water time. Plenty of time left to make $$
 02/10/2018 12:43 PM

SlimyBritches

Just get their insurance to cut down the hassle. It's not much and it saves on having to be responsible. If you're not fuggin' up a rental car, then you're not fully enjoying CR!
 02/11/2018 06:05 PM

GREG

Joined Forum: 08/20/2003

I just got back from Pavones and scored overhead surf. Well, waist to chest by the wall, but a foot overhead at the river mouth. In the three days, there was only one session where I had the peak at the point to myself. It was early afternoon, the wind was on it, but I scored one wave that went from the south end of the 'river mouth' all the way to the bay. (~300 yards) That wave made the whole trip worth it. The other sessions had 4-8 guys and 1-2 women on each peak along Pavones. I checked another spot before I left, and it looked like longboard and fish heaven with minute plus long rides. Do the recon and then let me know when you want me to help you book a trip down. I found awesome yoga spots, great food and lodging options, too.

http://www.crsurf.com ~ CR Surf Travel Company

http://www.vacationsbygreg.com
Instagram - @crsurf
FORUMS : Surfing : Matapalo, Backwash, Pan Dulce

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .