Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Florida Senate SB-804 restricting access to beach by oceanfront property owners?
Topic Summary: Concern attributed to Indialantic Mayor
Created On: 03/02/2018 07:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/02/2018 07:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

I saw this on FB, attributed to Indialantic Mayor Dave Berkman, but have not found original source to confirm it.

It would allow oceanfront property owners to restrict access to the beach in front of their property, and force citizens or local governments to take the owner to court and prove a history of "customary use."

I don't see that explicitly in the legislation, but I'm not a lawyer or politician.

If true (see attachment), then it warrants some hell-raising.

berkman.jpg
berkman.jpg  (118 KB)
 03/02/2018 07:53 AM

fredman

Joined Forum: 06/12/2010

Some phone Numbers

Not sure of details or if it's too late for comments or what.  Not even sure who those people represent.  Just something...

03/02/2018 08:32 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

It is true. We considered our options in Mel Bch at the last commission meeting and our attorney's opinion is that there should be minimal impact to us because of the beach renourishment (aaah, the irony) and because we would still probably win in court since we have been using these areas of our beaches for decades. (However, we would still have to pay to go to court). Regarding renourishment, since all taxpayers paid for the sand, beachfront homeowners should not be able to deny use of the beach. Unfortunately, we cannot pass an ordinance that would override this State bill because the legislation specifically prohibits anything after sometime in 2016 (2015? anyway, too late). Areas that have not received renourishment could have a problem, but, my understanding is that beachfront owners signed a waiver when they accepted the sand. Another area of concern would be the big money owners (condo associations and big hotels) who might not mind the expense of fighting in court. They could try to bleed municipalities dry financially and win that way. Please note, this is only one of many, many, many attacks on municipal home rule by the leadership of our State legislature. For the past decade the State legislature, under this party's leadership, wants to obliterate municipalities' ability to govern themselves. We keep sending the same party back to Washington and Tallahassee and we keep getting the same results - more attacks on the issues that matter to most people. Einstein's definition of insanity - keep doing the same thing while expecting different results. Time for a change. (I know this second paragraph should be in NSR, but, I couldn't help myself.)
 03/02/2018 08:32 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

It is true. We considered our options in Mel Bch at the last commission meeting and our attorney's opinion is that there should be minimal impact to us because of the beach renourishment (aaah, the irony) and because we would still probably win in court since we have been using these areas of our beaches for decades. (However, we would still have to pay to go to court). Regarding renourishment, since all taxpayers paid for the sand, beachfront homeowners should not be able to deny use of the beach. Unfortunately, we cannot pass an ordinance that would override this State bill because the legislation specifically prohibits anything after sometime in 2016 (2015? anyway, too late). Areas that have not received renourishment could have a problem, but, my understanding is that beachfront owners signed a waiver when they accepted the sand. Another area of concern would be the big money owners (condo associations and big hotels) who might not mind the expense of fighting in court. They could try to bleed municipalities dry financially and win that way. Please note, this is only one of many, many, many attacks on municipal home rule by the leadership of our State legislature. For the past decade the State legislature, under this party's leadership, wants to obliterate municipalities' ability to govern themselves. We keep sending the same party back to Washington and Tallahassee and we keep getting the same results - more attacks on the issues that matter to most people. Einstein's definition of insanity - keep doing the same thing while expecting different results. Time for a change. (I know this second paragraph should be in NSR, but, I couldn't help myself.)
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .