Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Anyone Been Down to Nicaragua lately?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/21/2018 08:10 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/21/2018 08:10 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

coolchange

Joined Forum: 08/28/2011

Just curious to hear from any of the brave souls that have made the trip recently to hear what it's like getting to and from the surf Zone? Been seeing some awesome pics, but curious to hear if everyone is now flying from Liberia versus Managua? Thanks for the update if you got it!
 08/21/2018 09:10 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Are you going?
 08/21/2018 05:11 PM

nicacondo

Joined Forum: 05/24/2011

Funny you should ask. 6 friends (20-30yo) from Flagler Beach just got back a few days ago. Surf was PUMPING for the 6 days they were there (perfect timing). If I can figure out how to post a photo I will but don't hold your breath (computer challenged). They flew into MGA and our driver came and got them in a van. Drive was no problem at all. Got groceries on the way to the condo. Crowd factor was very light by Colorados standards. They said about 10-20 guys in water. Surfed by themselves a few times in the middle of the day. Our driver says roads are 100% back to normal. You can fly into Costa Esmeralda (Hacienda Iguana) from MGA or LIR but thats pretty expensive plus you can't bring much luggage (ie, surfboards). My friend who lives down there full time says surfers are slowly coming back. As always if you want to go I'll be glad to take care of my fellow 2nd lighters/Floridians. Shoot me an email - playacoloradocondo@me.com. If the photo doesn't show up here you can see them on facebook at playa colorado condo.

dylan21.jpg
dylan21.jpg  (238 KB)
 08/21/2018 05:13 PM

nicacondo

IT WORKED. Here is the other photo. If someone knows how to make it show up without the link be my guest. THANKS!

dylan11.jpg
dylan11.jpg  (212 KB)
 08/21/2018 05:25 PM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

Sick shots, thx for sharing Mark!

-------------------------
"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 08/21/2018 05:26 PM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

damn, nice shot!

08/22/2018 06:57 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Originally posted by: nicacondo

Funny you should ask. 6 friends (20-30yo) from Flagler Beach just got back a few days ago. Surf was PUMPING for the 6 days they were there (perfect timing).

Yes surf was pumping last week. Spent it in the Guanacaste area. We were lucky to have two overlapping swells hit. Boat trip to Ollies was my best ever!

I'm glad i read your post. Didn't realize you couldn't take boards on the flights into Playa Iquana.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

Edited: 08/22/2018 at 06:58 AM by daner
 08/22/2018 11:13 AM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

You can take one board per passenger up to 7' in length (technically, it's 2 meters) from Liberia CR into Costa Esmeralda (Hacienda Iguana airport) on Sansa airlines. Our flights cost around $250 (round trip) and the board fee is $30 each way. Any pics from Ollies? I've caught it pumping a few times, such a fun spot when it's working.

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 08/23/2018 06:46 AM

daner

Thanks for that info Certon. I do like taking my boards. I usually have 4 (2 each for me and my son) though to help make the AA fee more palatable. Not sure if I could rationalize the AA fee of $150 each way for 1 board each? Maybe...

Our boat captain for the Ollie's trip, Wilber, was really good and got us good conditions at Witches, then Ollies and finally The Island. I can recommend Go South tours if you ever need a boat out of Playa de Coco for that trip. We went Mother's Day in Costa and we were the only boat at Ollies and The Island. Unheard of! Probably my best day of waves overall in my life. I do have an OK video of Ollies from the back of the wave and I'll try to figure out how to post it.

Ollies

Ollies1

Can't get it to work!

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

Edited: 08/23/2018 at 07:12 AM by daner
 08/23/2018 06:59 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Terrific photo. The government crackdown in Nicaragua has been brutal but La Prensa is still publishing and very anti-government.

Edited: 08/23/2018 at 07:00 AM by ww
 08/23/2018 06:45 PM

TheMazz729

Joined Forum: 08/28/2015

Originally posted by: coolchange Just curious to hear from any of the brave souls that have made the trip recently to hear what it's like getting to and from the surf Zone? Been seeing some awesome pics, but curious to hear if everyone is now flying from Liberia versus Managua? Thanks for the update if you got it!
Two friends and myself just went down to Nica last month (July 9th - 15th). We flew into Managua, and it's a 3 hr ride from the airport to the surf resort where we stayed (up North). No road blocks or slow downs on the way to the surf resort, or on the way back to the airport. There was even a strike the day before we had to leave, where none of the businesses where open, and the day we flew out, there was a planned protest in Managua. Luckily, we didn't run into anything sketchy. The locals were all super friendly and in great spirits, considering what they are going through at the moment. The surf was PUMPING! We brought school supplies and backpacks for the local kids, and left some baggies, flops, surf wax, and leashes for the local rippers. We never ran into anything sketchy (luckily). Just don't expect to do many touristy things, as a lot of things are closed at the moment. Hope this helps!
 08/26/2018 06:53 AM

coolchange

Joined Forum: 08/28/2011

Thanks for all the information guys!! Sorry- it's taken a bit to get back on line had a few technical issues. Sounds like things are still a "go" for the most part. You all are great info sources as usual- so thanks again for all the real time updates on what you are seeing down there!! PS- looks like its gonna pump early September too.....man Carls getting itchy!
 08/26/2018 07:09 AM

nicacondo

You will definitely score if you are headed down there the first week of September! A great swell is headed that way on the long term forecast, very similar to the one from the photo. Hope you have a great trip. Let me know if you have any questions or need any help.
 08/30/2018 04:34 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

The New Yorker's intrepid Jon Lee Anderson has a report from Nicaragua. Fake News and Unrest
 08/30/2018 05:47 PM

nicacondo

That's a good article that sums thing up very well. Surfline also did an article on Nicaragua this week. Big swell headed there next week if anyone is interested in going. https://www.surfline.com/surf-news/nicaraguas-new-normal/33053 Surfine - Nicaragua's New Normal

Edited: 08/30/2018 at 05:49 PM by nicacondo
 08/31/2018 05:57 AM

Wavewatcher

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

It certainly seems safe enough to come with local advice. Anderson is quite a reporter.

Hmm. Antique login. Strange.

wavewatcher - >ww - >wavewatcher, again

Edited: 08/31/2018 at 05:58 AM by Wavewatcher
 08/31/2018 07:41 AM

daner

Doesn't sound like the unrest is particularly over based on that article. IMO

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .