Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Any French students need some reading material?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/21/2018 05:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/21/2018 05:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

I discovered that a favorite book, "Bodysurf: aux origines du surf" by Hugo Verlomme and Laurent Masurel is still in print and pretty cheap, so a fresh copy just arrived. The book is loaded with photos worldwide. It seems Masurel was the bodysurf expert who traveled widely, including to Hawaii, where he got to know the likes of Mark Cunningham. Atlantica Editions Verlomme's more the writer.
    Between the photos and the shared surfing vocabulary, the French is surprisingly easy to figure out.
    Once the new copy shows up (from Eyrolles) I'd be happy to pass the book on to some eager student, maybe the retiree kind who can afford France or Portugal. Send a pm and I'll provide phone and/or email
    Got to be better than dealing with a nasty classic French novelist.
    Me, able to decipher museum signs and get around the Paris Métro, that's about all.

Edited: 09/26/2018 at 07:35 AM by ww
 09/22/2018 06:40 PM

Bev

Joined Forum: 02/14/2015

As much as I appreciate your zen postage ww- this marketing seems an acknowledged, very Dora 'anti-themed' deal.

Edited: 09/22/2018 at 06:41 PM by Bev
 09/23/2018 01:03 AM

ww

No Miki.
    The book was something I added on to an order from Surfbooks.com a long while ago. It's a bit battered, but had been an eye opener. I'd been aware of stuff at The Wedge (this was before the You Tube explosion) but not introduced properly to North Shore and had no idea there was interest in France.
    Huge cast of characters (including Slater) and an amazing collection of photos, all put together by a publisher in Biarritz and printed up the road in Anglet. Those French took surf seriously. Currently, Joël Badina is the star.
Youtube--Huge Gloy
    They have the total summer beach stuff. This, from the June Anglet Magazine.

Edited: 09/24/2018 at 03:30 AM by ww

09/26/2018 07:38 AM

ww

Photo spread. The full page is at Log Cabins. Caption explains that bottom of photo is bottom of wave. Left bottom, an experimental fin that didn't seem to go into production.
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .