Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Momentum Generation
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/11/2018 09:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/11/2018 09:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

What surfing with Friends is all about! Awesome film!!

-------------------------
Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 12/12/2018 04:18 AM

Cuz

Joined Forum: 04/25/2010

Watched it, liked it. Makes me want to send a mass text to a group of old friends.
 12/13/2018 05:49 AM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I thought it was fearless in the way the let the stories and the facts play out. EVERYONE except Machado said that high five was a calculated, plausibly deniable was for Kelly to take priority and the world title. Kelly's "who me" denial and "nothing of the sort even entered my generous mind as I watched my best friend get another ten" was followed by Machado seeming to accept it but not call him out and leave it at "you will have to ask him." You get an ugly picture of a ruthless competitor. I remember seeing that when the old Fuel TV had those guys driving around Europe in a Winnebago and surfing between hangovers. At some place in France, they were farting around on mediocre surf when Jamie Obrien got tubed and everyone in the water and on the beach was impressed. Up to that point, Kelly hadn't even bothered to surf. After that, he suited up, hit the peak, put on a smile and wouldn't rest until he got tubed, tubed longer and better and everyone knew it. In the end, you got the impression that redeemed himself though. It was him that got the band back together, got the sponsors to line up with some the guys and got the reunion. Once the competition was done and he was no longer competing with those guys, they could be friends to each other and with each other. A lot of them needed that after the tragedies, the addiction, the disappointments, the money and the grudges. I definitely got a lump in my throat for that and I was alive through all of that and I thought I knew most of it. I did not. That's a good documentary.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

12/16/2018 10:57 AM

fsusurfer

Joined Forum: 12/18/2008

What an awesome movie and brought back so many memories of what is was like to be a surfer then. I was in middle and high school then, and at the time, we had no clue at how much surfing was changing from the old guard to the "new school". Matt Archbold and the Fletchers had a lot to do with it also. Also surprised to see Offspring not mentioned, they got a lot of pub from those movies just like Pennywise and Bad Religion. Didnt know how much affect that Chesser's death had on everyone and knew of the Pipeline house, but not to that extent. That was really cool to see. It mustve been way crazier than what they showed and wouldve love to party and hang there with that group. Its a must watch for any surfer or fan of great docs

Where is Playalinda?

12/18/2018 09:59 AM

bluestreak

Joined Forum: 03/30/2009

Great movie! I feel so enlightened now, I had no idea. As far as the high five goes, call me naive but it just doesn't seem like anybody could of planned that, IMO anyway. I have always known about Garcia but how about that Potter. What a beast, would hate to get on his bad side. "I would have just run him over" or something to that effect.
 12/18/2018 12:35 PM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Originally posted by: bluestreak

Great movie! I feel so enlightened now, I had no idea. As far as the high five goes, call me naive but it just doesn't seem like anybody could of planned that, IMO anyway. I have always known about Garcia but how about that Potter. What a beast, would hate to get on his bad side. "I would have just run him over" or something to that effect.

I was thinking the same thing. This documentary shed some light on what they all thought of each other. I had no clue all those guys felt the way they did, especially about KS. They even called him an animal, in a bad way. But when I watched the high five it didn't seem like a sneaky competitive trick to me at all. I'm sure it was all jealousy.

Anyway it was a good flick. I even watched it with a non-surfer and they loved it too. Brought back a lot of memories from surfing back then.
 01/15/2019 03:46 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

I finally got around to watching the doc. and I thought it was great. I'm a little confused on how the high-five screwed up Rob's wave priority? I've never surfed competitively (my screen name is a joke

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 01/15/2019 05:22 AM

e11even

Joined Forum: 02/20/2014

If Rob had kicked out instead of continuing to ride the wave past Kelly when he high fived him he would have been the first one back to the lineup and would have had priority.

-

01/15/2019 05:23 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

Thanks!

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 01/15/2019 10:44 AM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I go back and forth. I think that is the test of a brilliant documentary.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

Statistics
146498 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .