Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Oahu Hawaii early March
Topic Summary: Info?? tips??
Created On: 01/20/2019 08:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/20/2019 08:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

KP

Joined Forum: 07/28/2006

Read other threads and had some other questions. I am sure much has changed since I was here in early 90s as a 20yr old. Was in June and surfed mainly diamond head area and Ala Moana park (not bowls). It is the end of the season but hoping to catch and or watch (If a late heavy swell comes in) some waves on the north shore.

Will be there 2weeks with family (for wedding and taking parents for 50th anniversary). Out of the 6, 4 will be active bouncing around island.
    surfing hiking mtb etc.
    Any spots that I can surf and then hike from same parking lot or close?
    Staying on windward side in Kane'ohe.
    Not taking boards got a few connections.
    Looking to rent a minivan or suv. (Maybe 2 cars??)
    Thinking to bring my own mask and fins.
    And with the parents we are considering culture center, botanical gardens. Any other interesting low impact activities?
    (I could care less about plantation tours because I see it the same as going to a one here in the south.)

Any updated info or 2cents from 2ndlight crew will be great!

Thanks in advance!

-------------------------
Time and tide wait for no one.....

Edited: 01/21/2019 at 05:34 AM by KP
 01/20/2019 08:29 PM

Kimo63

Joined Forum: 04/22/2012

You should have a great time. Rocky point , Backdoor and Lani's will all still have waves with less peps in the water.
 01/21/2019 06:18 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

To be honest.... not a whole lot has changed on the North Shore (maybe aside from some development (near V-Land) and alot more peeps around. Mini-van is a good call (tossing boards in and out) and if you dont need a nice new one, look for some independent small rental companies for deals North Shore's still pumping in march, but some less peeps....Should be plenty of surf! Have fun.... & Make sure you have some real sized boards

Edited: 01/21/2019 at 06:21 AM by Plan B
 01/21/2019 12:21 PM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Edited: 02/19/2019 at 12:09 PM by SurferMic
 01/21/2019 05:55 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Just checked National Car Rental. Surprise! The lowest cost vehicle is a mini-van!

Dora Hates You
 01/23/2019 05:38 AM

Plan B

Originally posted by: dingpatch Just checked National Car Rental. Surprise! The lowest cost vehicle is a mini-van!
Ha, that's pretty good..... usually theyre double (and why my buddy would find one from an independent rental... also helps from looking like a tourist to prying eyes)....... BUT if if you rent a smaller one (or need to rent 2) if you're riding solo, you CAN fit and 8-0 & 6-10 guns inside of a Toyota Corolla
 01/23/2019 06:10 AM

dingpatch

And, , , , being that gasoline is "so expensive" in Hawaii, all the tourist focus on getting the smallest, most MPG, vehicle. OK, fine. BUT, , , , everybody wants a "compact" rental because of the perceived gasoline expense. So? Well, guess what, you can generally get a very nice larger vehicle for lots less money. On the-other-hand, you are going to Hawaii to enjoy yourself. Just how bad can the cost of gasoline be of concern??!!??

I just did a quick look at Budget at HNL for two weeks in mid-March. A Chrysler 300 is $459 for the two week period, while a Ford Fiesta is $461! A Ford Edge is $396.

And, do a diligent internet search. There are "first time" rental deals, and if you join a certain company's "club" there are generally plenty of additional benefits. If you are concerned with going bottom-line-cost and are looking at "local" rental companies, fine. Just do a complete job of vetting them. I tend to prefer that my rental cars have tread on their tires!

Dora Hates You
 01/23/2019 08:06 AM

SurferMic

Edited: 02/19/2019 at 12:09 PM by SurferMic
 01/23/2019 08:20 AM

Plan B

Ha, solid advice.... but mo bettah, just bring your license and a few bucks in the car (if you're gonna eat or get gas) if you're going surfing.... I ride to the beach with just my baggies and board (although sometimes 2 boards... but theives want cash and CCs)
 01/23/2019 10:29 AM

KP

Thanks all for the info feel free to keep it coming!! I've been checking also and seeing I can get a minivan for about 250 to 275 a week that will fix the six of us (when needed for the "everybody" excursions).
Thanks surfmic for the fishing info also!
Sad to be facing the same crime challenges as 3rd world. Will have to be in the same mode as when I visit CR or el Salvador

01/25/2019 06:07 AM

KP

Any tips on botanical gardens or an pleasant excursions for 70 yr olds?

01/25/2019 06:23 AM

dingpatch

The Polynesian Cultural Center is always "on top of the list" BUT, BUT, But, , , , it is run by the Mormons: NO alcohol and, I'm told, no coffee.

You certainly do want to do a good Luau so, do your internet searching (Trip Advisor is a good starting point).

Dora Hates You
 01/25/2019 12:29 PM

jettyparksurfer

Joined Forum: 07/25/2009

Originally posted by: SurferMic You will see spots with broken glass from break ins laying around, look for this...a Tell-tale sign anywhere in the world. If you find yourself in a lot that has this, do not leave anything of value in the car. If you have to leave a wallet behind for example while you surf, find a spot inside the car to hide it...up under dash, steering column, deep under the back seat...you can find a spot that will be hard for someone to locate it. Bigger problem is keys..the new FOBs now make it impossible to surf with it on the pocket loop. I would bury the keys, easier to do at places like V-land rather than Sunset bch but it works for me. i usually act like I am stretching out down the beach alone, then quick bury and USE A NATURAL MARKER...I spent hours digging in the sands of NJ one winter when I forgot to accurately triangulate the keys with natural markers...I looked like an idiot sifting through piles of sand (Cold water barrells must have thumped my memory good that session)..Oh yea check out Nuuanu Pali Lookout, easy for older folks if that is a concern. A History lesson lies there....ah really need to get back
I've taken out dozens of rental cars the past few years and here's what I've learned about the FOBs: Wrap the key in tin foil and put it in a combo lock box attached to the car. It will block the signal. Also some of the FOBs have a detachable key inside the remote that can be removed. Wrap the key in tin foil, leave it in the car and take the key attachment with you.
 01/25/2019 01:05 PM

SurferMic

Edited: 02/19/2019 at 12:10 PM by SurferMic
 01/25/2019 05:49 PM

oipaul

Joined Forum: 12/06/2004

Aquapac

get one of these, you can fit key fob, driver's license, credit cards and some cash. Waterproof and with the cord you can wear under a rashguard or roll up and put in boardshorts. Rinse with fresh water and repeat.
 01/26/2019 06:40 PM

jettyparksurfer

Joined Forum: 07/25/2009

Originally posted by: SurferMic Combo lock like the ones used for to store a key for realtors to show properties? I seen those before, good idea, not sure why you need to wrap the FOB in tin foil? The problem I have had with the hidden key that is in the FOB is it does not have a hole to use a key ring and attach to boardshort pocket loop. I camp on N Shore so I have to keep a full wallet in the car. I have some other tricks I use to prevent total loss (fake wallet with a handful of useless look-a-like credit cards, some gift cards with 0 balance and just a few bucks) hidden somewhat but not as well as my real wallet, etc. If they find it I think they would be fooled that this my only wallet.
Some car keys allow the car to be unlocked or started as long as the key is within a certain distance from the car. The tin foil blocks that signal so the car cannot be unlocked. For a car key that works like a regular door lock key, tin foil is obviously going to be pointless.
 01/27/2019 06:05 AM

Plan B

Originally posted by: SurferMic I have some other tricks I use to prevent total loss (fake wallet with a handful of useless look-a-like credit cards, some gift cards with 0 balance and just a few bucks) hidden somewhat but not as well as my real wallet, etc. If they find it I think they would be fooled that this my only wallet.
but yeah, those masterlock combo key storage locks are pretty popular out there.... lock it onto the tow hook on the frame

Edited: 01/27/2019 at 06:07 AM by Plan B
 01/27/2019 01:26 PM

SurferMic

^ ha, thanks...that was the way many travel in Baja, works 90% of the time; I always seem to be camping so the car is the "locker" .. funny thing is I have only been robbed at gun point on the East Coast...go figure...water under the bridge .learning lesson...We got chunky surf out front..bouy is 1 foot away from the alert to go the a Southern beachbreak..need 12' on the 20m...waiting...just 1 more foot please. thanks JettySurfer.., gotcha..new start button tech.... Below...My N. Shore spot..mins from the 7 mile miracle...

Edited: 01/27/2019 at 01:58 PM by SurferMic

IMG_4625.JPG
IMG_4625.JPG  (215 KB)
 01/28/2019 11:59 AM

Plan B

I think I know where that is
 01/29/2019 06:33 AM

JBSURF

Joined Forum: 10/11/2004

Went last year in March,usually go then,, bring some warm clothes and a top or springsuit,,,, gets cold wet and windy just like it can here,not always but does,,, do the PR/Hawaii car thing, windows part way down and a jug of water on the roof heating up in the sun to rinse off with, towel hanging from the door... if windows are down, nothing to see here... waves can be BIG in March and you`ll have many options depending on your skill level, winds, the usual... As far as gardens theres not much better the Waimea Valley.... Like Jurassic park.. Have fun, you will... I may go then again too, not sure yet....

I've decided to accept the fact - I'll always be a big kid!
FORUMS : Surfing : Oahu Hawaii early March

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146493 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .