Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Localism in PR?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/05/2019 07:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/05/2019 07:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jettyparksurfer

Joined Forum: 07/25/2009

For those on here who frequent PR who has ever had any issues with localism there particularly at Domes. I have been to PR about 15 times and never had any issues until some 20 year old kid paddled in front of me on a crowded day at Domes to tell me "the peak is for locals, go to the inside". I didn't and got some more glares but nothing else. No idea why this happened. I tried to find out when the kid was trying to get aggressive but couldn't get any reason. Anyone else had this happen? I understand some of the Puerto Ricans hate us but never had any real issues.
 02/06/2019 04:59 AM

ILM

Joined Forum: 04/08/2011

Been 13 times and never had an issue anywhere in PR with locals. More issues with people from NJ and NY, and the old ladys at seniors (surfers) beach that have even less surf etiquette than the ricans.
 02/06/2019 05:43 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Yes, this is common at Domes

Edited: 02/06/2019 at 08:13 PM by SurferMic
 02/06/2019 05:56 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I had the same thing happen at Pavones.

-------------------------
I was right.
 02/06/2019 06:31 AM

Julianuribe23

Joined Forum: 05/21/2012

The perks of being Hispanic - blending in wherever you surf on trips. I actually had other travelers yield to me because they think I'm a local, it's awesome haha

Edited: 02/06/2019 at 06:32 AM by Julianuribe23
 02/07/2019 11:41 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

my buddy had a sponger pull his leash as he paddled to the outside and said we couldnt surf there, but we did and nothing happened.... also got some flak at jobos, guess there are mouthy groms everywhere LOL

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 02/07/2019 11:55 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

No place like Hawaii for localism. But I've experienced it pretty bad or seen it bad everywhere from Spanish House to Nica.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

Edited: 02/07/2019 at 12:03 PM by daner
 02/08/2019 05:42 AM

waterlizard25

Joined Forum: 07/18/2012

2015 I was at Middles in the lineup. A guy came strolling onto the beach with a speedo on grasping what looked like a 6'3 epoxy pop out. I was sitting on the shoulder catching the scrapps left over from the every day crew when I hear them hooting and hollering laughing and splashing water at the apparent French man paddling out to them. Everyone was laughing and mocking his attire in a not so welcoming way (aka no locals knew who he was) Suddenly he managed to sit on top of the line up drop in on three guys i wouldn't dream of dropping in near and top to bottom out surfs every one that day. The local guys stopped mocking him after he snaked them and were quick to welcome him after the impressive performance surfing in a speedo with hairy scraggly legs. I am not sure if the aggressive I will drop in on everyone and prove I am worth being out here is the best way or gaining priority by being patient and respectful. Just depends on who you are and where your surfing I guess.. I have never had a problem with local ism anywhere in the U.S. Ohhhh wait there was that one time I went to OB SD HAHAHAHAH Never Mind
 02/08/2019 06:31 AM

SurferMic

Edited: 02/19/2019 at 05:23 AM by SurferMic
 02/09/2019 09:29 AM

jettyparksurfer

Originally posted by: SurferMic The guy who guards the peak at Domes IMO is not to be messed with unless you are the MMA type. The other locals you run into at Jobos, Middles, etc. are most bark no bite...Domes different story ...If he is out just go to Maria's or Sandy's. In HI I only had issues with Brazzy spongers living there who thought that gave them auto-local status and one true local who was just plain crazy, splashing water around him, growling, barking, yelling at the sky, like a crazy person on the street had taken up surfing....No one got anywhere near him, if it was an "act" it worked..Don't mess with crazy. In Guam straight up whites can't surf the break (you will get hit & outnumbered+rocks raining down from the cliffs), took 3 weeks to get accepted into the line-ups by leaving when the locals said all whites go in (I did & they respected that) & by buying a round for the entire crew at the Hilton above Rick's Reef. Expensive bar tab but I was one of 2 whites they let surf, everyone else had to leave after Dawn Patrol. Some big guys out there full facial tats, & nothing to lose. BTW the surf is terrible in Guam , don't bother.
This was a kid who looked about 20. Is that the guy you are really talking about?
 02/11/2019 12:26 PM

SurferMic

Edited: 02/19/2019 at 05:24 AM by SurferMic
 02/12/2019 06:03 AM

jettyparksurfer

Originally posted by: SurferMic Nah, that does not sound like the regular I run into who guards the entrance to Domes proper, I think you ran into "Control" who actually is cool with me but I only have surfed with him at Jobos. He and I got along finally broke the ice making small talk on the beach. He is a talented surfer but maybe has taken the shift at Domes now??? or just a young local holding it down for the older guys. Roll the dice and see what happens or just go somewhere else
I think if I spoke with one of the other locals there wouldn't be any issues. I had been out for about 20 minutes and had caught one wave on the inside which wasn't even a set wave and then was paddling a little further outside when this kid started challenging me and there were lots of people out I think they were mistakening me for someone else they had issues with in the past or something weird. The session up to that point was pretty uneventful.
 02/12/2019 07:31 AM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Your first wave better be a good one. In my experience, if you botch that one in full view, you may as well pack it up.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

02/13/2019 12:34 PM

dkaye

Joined Forum: 08/19/2007

I just talk real loud and use my hands a lot, seems to work well also throw in a little Spanish accent and add a "o" to the end of a lot of english words I get any wave I want after that

https://www.instagram.com/dj_kaye_/

02/13/2019 06:36 PM

nukeh2o

Joined Forum: 03/18/2016

Or: one could take some small effort before going to spend a little time practicing some spanish? In my my experiences, any attempt at even fumbling, amateurish spanish conversation seemed to help a lot
Try: i really love puerto rican music and food. Do you have any suggestions?

It's a democratic hoax
 02/14/2019 07:19 AM

NorthJettySurf

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

lol at pavones?? jeez that place is a joke

____/\___\o/____ AHHH a SHARK!!!
 02/14/2019 07:20 AM

NorthJettySurf

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

the people there are dicks honestly.... lots of petty crime too aka busted windows in cars... too many kook boogie boarders too you can have the "isla encanto" there's better places with nicer people and better waves and less sea urchins

____/\___\o/____ AHHH a SHARK!!!

Edited: 02/14/2019 at 07:27 AM by NorthJettySurf
 02/14/2019 02:18 PM

all3

Joined Forum: 12/28/2011

one of my favorites was when dudes from Norfolk tried to pull local status on us at the jetties at Hatteras

"I remember South Africa in the late 70's, sleeping on the beach at J-bay, smoking ganja with the blacks. On weekends we'd go to the pub in East London to drink beer and fight with the Afrikaners. They liked to fight, I liked to fight. It was a good time"
 02/18/2019 07:47 AM

Tiptime

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Just got back, no problems at all, everyone was super friendly. Be and A-hole expect problems!

The Wavecaster
 02/18/2019 05:17 PM

oldsufr3

Joined Forum: 08/10/2003

At Jobos a few years ago and saw a surf instructor paddle out from a distance with an ankle leash on BOTH legs. The wife ask me and I just guess he is helping the student get outside. Later I realize it's a ankle monitor. Big dude. I stay clear.

Need more water time. Plenty of time left to make $$
FORUMS : Surfing : Localism in PR?

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146493 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .