Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Restore an old board questions
Topic Summary: Sentimental board needs a make over
Created On: 03/16/2019 07:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/16/2019 07:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

YellowNova

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

My girlfriend has a Davo funshape that was given to her by her father and has become old and could use one of those fancy white paint jobs/reglass.
It's 7' and is yellowed but solid without damage. Does anyone have any idea of what kind of ballpark price of this or where to go to have someone sand-down tape off the logos and paint it white and re-glass it...or whatever correct process is?
I would like to restore it so that she may ride it for another decade. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited: 03/16/2019 at 07:08 PM by YellowNova
 03/17/2019 01:53 PM

IamSAW

Joined Forum: 05/02/2006

Most surf boards are like sneakers - built to be used but they don't last forever and restoring an old sneaker is impractical, better to get a new pair. I've restored a few boards and have decided it's just not worth the cost, time and added weight. Fixing cracks and dings that leak is doable, but fixing delams, pressure dings and restoring large areas is super time consuming and adding a second layer of glass will make the board too heavy. Plus matching colors is very tough. Maybe if it was a super historical board, sure, maybe. Better plan is to either make it water tight and ride it and enjoy it as long as it floats, or, clean it up, fix the worst dings and make it corner leaner or wall hanger. Save the $ and spend it on a new board, AMHIK, BTDT.
 03/18/2019 05:26 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Originally posted by: YellowNova My girlfriend has a Davo funshape that was given to her by her father and has become old and could use one of those fancy white paint jobs/reglass. It's 7' and is yellowed but solid without damage. Does anyone have any idea of what kind of ballpark price of this or where to go to have someone sand-down tape off the logos and paint it white and re-glass it...or whatever correct process is? I would like to restore it so that she may ride it for another decade. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
You will regret that move. If he has passed and you just want to hold on to it, make it a wall hanger...... if she just likes it, like IamSAW said, just keep surfing it..... why fix a board without damage? If it's just a board that's still fun to ride but looks old, some tape and few rattle cans of paint (or paint pens if you have the drawing skills) I've done it to a few (particularly big wave travel boards that just sit around waiting for the occasional surf trip / big swell))
 03/18/2019 06:33 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

If it's Davo, I imagine it's epoxy and that's a different animal when it comes to restoration. Polyester resins are more accepting to additional glass work; older epoxy - from my experience - not so much.

-------------------------
I was right.
 03/18/2019 10:24 AM

YellowNova

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Thank you all for the responses.
 03/18/2019 12:27 PM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

George , AKA Surfguys in Mel beach could do it and for a fair price
 03/19/2019 10:11 AM

Lounge-A-Rama

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Ditto on George at Surfguys, excellent work for a very fair price!

Life is a garden*Dig it!
 03/25/2019 02:23 AM

RioSirju

Joined Forum: 04/15/2011

3rd @ George from surf guys or DM me and I can personally hook you up with my shaper @boardtheory- Make her happy bro, you are doing the right thing! Keep the stoke alive and cherish the memories handed down. It's all love.
 04/01/2019 05:40 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

maybe check with ET (ed townes)*not sure about spelling but I believe still repairs boards in cocoa beach.

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .