Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Caroline is World #1 !!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/07/2019 07:01 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/09/2019 06:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Women's surfing is more pure to me; more surfing, less trickery. Other than big barrels, men's pro surfing can't decide what it wants to be and it's greatly affecting the judging.

-------------------------
I was right.
 04/10/2019 12:31 AM

equipeola

Joined Forum: 12/17/2009

As long as the powers that be continue with an "Air Contest", there shouldn't be any scoring granted to maneuvers to which the board leaves the plane of the water surface in Mens CT competition. If not, we're accepting competitive surfing to morph into a gymnastic jump show. They've evidently confirmed to us that "air surf'in" is seperate from the "true surf'in" dynamic by creating this seperate competition for it, so compete and score "surfing the waterworld" on it's unique characteristics (power carves, who is most appealing flowing with the lip transitioning to next maneuvers effortlessly, staying connected with the waterworld medium) and Air contests on it's unique characteristics. Or drop the ''Air events" and continue scoring flippity do dah day in CT. Even though the Ladies get up and out some too, their beauty performing power moves in critical sections the way they've progressed to have us unapologetically craving to watch a new "Women's Pro Surfing" level over jump'in beans. I must admit though- Caroline's total package demonstrated in this last wingding have us hooked too- ! Mel Bch Rules mang!!

ola ~

04/10/2019 02:38 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

How many heats did I watch, none. I confess to being easily bored, especially watching. I don't know who should get paid what but do know that if it bothers you, you should get busy building those tvs.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 04/10/2019 04:37 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

I agree with equi, to see someone drive down the line to pick up speed to only look for a ramp gets a better score than a hard carve or serious lip smack gets a better score doesn't make sense, not power surfing in the critical part of the wave!

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 04/11/2019 06:06 AM

Greensleeves

There are venues where airs aren't done. If Snapper was raging airs would not have factored in. But that was 2-3 foot beach break with barely any barrels and moments with little punch. What do you think is going to happen?

Next venue is Bells. Not an "air" place and gouges will rule.

Edited: 04/11/2019 at 06:08 AM by Greensleeves
 04/11/2019 07:38 AM

Cole

Originally posted by: Greensleeves

There are venues where airs aren't done. If Snapper was raging airs would not have factored in. But that was 2-3 foot beach break with barely any barrels and moments with little punch. What do you think is going to happen?

Next venue is Bells. Not an "air" place and gouges will rule.

It's the scoring discrepancy when airs are involved that gets me. If a single air gets a 10, then the next guy sticks a sick one and then does five more good turns, does he get a 13?

I was right.

Edited: 04/11/2019 at 07:38 AM by Cole
 04/11/2019 08:12 AM

Greensleeves

I'm with you. The single moves that get a 10 have to be game changers. And those have happened. But the judges have been hard on airs too. In a Qualifier Reef did a rodeo flip and got a 5 something. The judges get it rigth most of the time. Check Gabby's string of airs in his heat (the one before Yago). He deserved a 9. The score I did not agree with in the event was Italo getting a 7 for the last wave of the final. Brother robbed there.
 04/17/2019 04:42 AM

Bev

Joined Forum: 02/14/2015

Originally posted by: Greensleeves Next venue is Bells. Not an "air" place and gouges will rule.
"Bells became an air wave the moment Kelly Slater stomped that era-changing full-rotation against Mick Fanning in the 2012 Final. But let's not forget, Kelly lost that heat."
 04/24/2019 12:10 PM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

men's pro surfing can't decide what it wants to be and it's greatly affecting the judging.

That....(and the fact I'm not very good) is exactly why I'm not pro...

Congrats Caroline! (rootbeer)

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
FORUMS : Surfing : Caroline is World #1 !!

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .