Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Surf Video Editing- Tips appreciated!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/12/2019 12:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/12/2019 12:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

coolchange

Joined Forum: 08/28/2011

Hi Everyone- i just was lucky enough to be given a DJI Mavic Air drone for my birthday. I really want to shoot some surf vids, along with just some great out door footage. I have made movies a long while back on my IMAC, but am curious to get your feedback from anyone that does a fair amount of editing. If I get a MacBook Pro with IMOVIE, will this really take care of me for a good bit until I can master that software or would anyone say that I need to get some other software? My level is pretty much at the start, so any feedback you all have would be greatly appreciated. Also- I just assume the MacBook Pro is the way to go- if anyone feels I would be better off with a Dell version etc- just let me know- looking for user friendliness, and cost effectiveness too- Thank You for any insights!
 04/12/2019 07:30 PM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

IMovie is limited. But keep in mind the editing software does not make the editor, good footage and knowing when an how to cut does. If you get a mac, try the trial for FCPX and watch tutorials. mac and PC both have their ups and downs. I like PC because the money you would spend on a mac you can build a badass PC in comparison. That being said I like FCPX but I also like Premiere Pro for different applications. FCPX has a really nice title, transition and effects package. It's also easy to get 3rd party plugins and templates for FCPX. Whereas premiere makes the fun stuff a little more daunting. FCPX interface is a little wonky. I use both and I like both so I can't say one is better. It depends on what you want to use them for. premiere will work on both mac and pc. Anyway, this is not an easy question to answer because there are so many variables. It all depends on what works for you and there is know way of knowing until you try. It's best you start by learning how to edit and shoot properly. Learn the basics. Learn about 3 shot sequences, cut-ins, cut-aways, and jump cuts etc. I spent over 23 years of my life doing this professionally and I am always learning so take your time and have fun.
 04/13/2019 09:39 AM

coolchange

HAP- thanks a ton for the advice there! Yes- i am not shall we say the most technical individual, and going slowly is my best friend that's for sure. i just got the Mavic Air up and burned three batteries doing it- but am still way way away from being able to have any confidence. This is gonna take time and effort- and patience- I can see that for sure. I do appreciate your tips and will keep all in mind- I did visit a Mac store yesterday- i think I better get my $%$T together before I even think about editing- but all in good time my friend!
 04/13/2019 10:13 AM

HAPDigital

Well if you're not technical I would go with a Mac. Make sure to get a pro version of I Mac or a Mac book . I've always bought refurbished from the Apple store and never had A problem andsaved lots of money.
 04/14/2019 04:06 AM

bluestreak

Joined Forum: 03/30/2009

I use strictly PC's, for the reason HAPDigital states. I used to use Premiere Pro and loved it but it is expensive. If you want to get into video editing and have the cash then, PP by all means but here are two I've used with good success. There are a lot of video tutorials, plus both are FREE! Lightworks and what I've been using recently, DaVinci Resolve.

Edited: 04/14/2019 at 04:07 AM by bluestreak
 04/14/2019 07:11 AM

HAPDigital

Originally posted by: bluestreak

I use strictly PC's, for the reason HAPDigital states. I used to use Premiere Pro and loved it but it is expensive.

If you want to get into video editing and have the cash then, PP by all means but here are two I've used with good success. There are a lot of video tutorials, plus both are FREE!

Lightworks and what I've been using recently, DaVinci Resolve.

Wow, resolve has come a long way. Didn't know they put out an editor. I watched a tutorial. For free, this looks like a no brainer. Looks like a ix between premiere and fcpx.
 04/14/2019 07:42 AM

coolchange

Great takes guys thank you. I wonder if there is an outlet around Orlando area that does some drone tutorials live ? You would think so- if anyone has any ideas on that love to hear it- and if any kind soul out there is familiar with the Mavic Air and cares to share some tips . please shoot me a PM- craft brews on the house if so!
 04/14/2019 02:05 PM

dab

Joined Forum: 08/08/2003

Originally posted by: coolchange Great takes guys thank you. I wonder if there is an outlet around Orlando area that does some drone tutorials live ? You would think so- if anyone has any ideas on that love to hear it- and if any kind soul out there is familiar with the Mavic Air and cares to share some tips . please shoot me a PM- craft brews on the house if so!
I attended a UAV (drone) workshop with Robert Sterling on this past Saturday. He is an excellent speaker, teacher and pilot that is a member of the Cinematographers Guild 600. He teaches piloting, instructs for the FAA test to become a licensed UAV Pilot. http://www.robertstarling.com/drone-and-aerials/

-------------------------
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

04/14/2019 03:18 PM

HAPDigital

If you really want to learn to fly drones well, get a little quad like a "whoop" and fly it line of sight indoors and out. All the workshops in the world will not make you a great pilot. Stick time will. However, that being said, seminars will teach you how to be safe which is a good thing. But a good tough whoop will make you fly like a pro in no time. FPV is fun as heck also.

04/15/2019 05:13 AM

coolchange

Thanks again to you all for your feedback!
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .