Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: any good surf spots around myrtle beach area?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/21/2019 07:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/21/2019 07:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

nathanielmauldin

Joined Forum: 07/12/2014

Heading to Myrtle beach over the summer for a month to work, curious if anyone knows any spots with some real waves... let me know!
 05/21/2019 07:38 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

lived there for 10 years..very small waves (long shallow continental shelf zaps all the energy), only breaks on mid to high tide , low tide will not break. Bunch of Piers to choose from which helps the weak waves....I survived by taking daily road trips to Crystal Pier & Masonboro, NC (best spot in the area IMO) or drive south to Pawley's Island which will only be slightly better than Myrtle Beach. Great place to grow up as a teenager in a full blown party town; not a great place to be a surfer unless you accept you must drive North to Wilmington on a regular basis. Buy a Perfection Surfboard!!!....Kelly, Mike and Regis are great craftsmen....Miss working with those guys. The place has exploded in population, what used to be a cool Low Country area is now Super-Overdeveloped. You will learn all the shortcuts cause the traffic in summer is real bad. Oh yea, they have surfing zones in the summer from 9-4 like New Jersey....Tip: When you paddle the inlet to get to Masonboro, take a fiver w/ you, watch for the surfers who boated over to leave...follow them back to the boat landing and ask for a ride back across, offer up the $5.

Edited: 05/21/2019 at 09:22 AM by SurferMic
 05/21/2019 08:42 AM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I vacationed there several years ago and brought a surf board thinking it would be fun. Went out on a quiet morning with my 9'6" and was actually having some fun on the knee high waves. I had a uniformed person (still not sure if they were an LEO or ???) call me in and tell me that surfing without a leash is illegal, and couple other things I was doing could get me a citation. I didn't get it as there was nobody around me for several hundred yards and it was early. Rather than get into a pissing contest I left the beach. I've been back there since, but not with a surfboard. >>> SurferMic seems to have the gouge on this area. I still don't get the rules they had.

-------------------------
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 05/21/2019 09:35 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

yup, lots of anti-surfing laws, I lived in Surfside Beach (southern zone of Myrtle). Always getting hassled by one particular LEO. We named a surf spot after him "Stiff Pipes". It was a drainage pipe that went out to the surf zone. He would scream at us on the bull horn to move away from the pier (400 yards is the law). We acted like we were deaf, he would lose his mind!!! We would have to wait until after dark to paddle in somewhere down the beach (he was waiting). Not smart , many toothy fish ...or we would all hit the beach at the same time and scatter, running w/ boards in hand. Ah, the memories, now i bet they will spotlight you and send a boat. For summertime dribble try the barrier islands across the NC border (Ocean Isle, Sunset Bch, Holden Bch - all piers). They face more south, little deeper offshore and you surf with guys like "Wheat", "Red", and "Bo" (who all shred).

Edited: 05/21/2019 at 09:44 AM by SurferMic
 05/21/2019 09:59 AM

SoMlbBch007

Joined Forum: 08/24/2012

Ive never surfed it personally but Ive seen some good pics of "The Washout" in Folly Beach.
 05/21/2019 02:58 PM

SurfCaster

Joined Forum: 02/02/2007

That will be a month of no surfing for you.

-------------------------
"If I say it's safe to surf this beach, captain, then it's safe to surf this beach!"
 05/22/2019 07:59 AM

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

make sure to visit the Village Surf Shop in Garden City. As Surfer Mic says.. piers are all around and usually the best spots. Higher the tide the better.
There is a creek that empties out into the beach around the shore drive area of N myrtle than can break a bit better. Go early or late to avoid the anti fun police. Pawleys is a cool area and does break a bit better.. sometimes.
Drive to NC. The s facing islands (Ocean Isle, Holden and Sunset) have nice exposure to the S trade windswells. only about 30/40 min away. Wrightsville bch and masonboro are even more exposed.
Road trip to Beaufort/Morehead city and take the ferry to the outer banks if you have time.

Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .