Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Broken valve dumps more sewage...
Topic Summary: Hits to the lagoon keep coming.
Created On: 08/13/2019 12:24 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/13/2019 12:24 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. - A broken valve resulted in hundreds of gallons of sewage spilling in Satellite Beach late Sunday, News 6 partner Florida Today reported. County repair workers responded to the air release valve break near Cassia Boulevard and South Patrick Drive around 10 p.m., according to Brevard County spokesman Don Walker.

Approximately 1,000 gallons of sewage spilled into canals that feed into the Banana River before workers could stop the leak, according to a state report. The valve was repaired by Monday morning, Walker said.

The state government report said approximately 2,000 gallons in total spilled as a result of the break, with 1,000 gallons going into the waterway, 500 gallons of sewage being cleaned up and another 500 unaccounted for.

County protocol when sewage spills occur is to notify the Florida Department of Environmental Protection and Department of Health. Those agencies will investigate the circumstances of the spill and potentially fine Brevard County, according to Walker.

High levels of nitrogen and phosphorous in sewage are known to contribute to algae blooms that kill seagrass and disrupt the lagoon's delicate ecosystem, according to the St. Johns Water Management District.

County sewage has come under scrutiny in recent years as spills have polluted the already troubled Indian River Lagoon. Sunday's spill comes after approximately 375,000 gallons spewed from a different Cassia Boulevard pipe last year.

Prompted by frequent sewage spills across the county - such as a 870,000-gallon sewage leak in Titusville last summer - Florida Rep. Randy Fine, R-Palm Bay, has pushed for harsher penalties for local governments when such events occur.

The bill died in a house committee in May but Fine said he remains committed to cleaning up and protecting the lagoon.

"I'm going to keep fighting for it. We've got to rein in the home rule authority of local governments that don't spend money maintaining their sewage systems," Fine said.

"Clearly many of them don't do the right thing because it's the right thing to do."

click orlando

-------------------------
Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 08/13/2019 01:47 PM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

08/13/2019 02:19 PM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

"another 500 unaccounted for" the whole thing is shameful.
 08/13/2019 04:38 PM

SurfCaster

Joined Forum: 02/02/2007

Originally posted by: Greensleeves

"another 500 unaccounted for" the whole thing is shameful.

Which aspect do you consider shameful? I don't necessarily disagree...certainly "a shame"...but it's not clear that any negligence was at root. If it was poor part selection due to price, or if the valve was not adequately maintained, then maybe shameful. But if the valve "just broke" there may not be much that could have been done about the situation.

I don't understand the unaccounted for part. Did the poo evaporate? Did someone steal it? Seems like 500 gallons of stinky human waste should be fairly noticeable.

"If I say it's safe to surf this beach, captain, then it's safe to surf this beach!"

Edited: 08/13/2019 at 04:41 PM by SurfCaster
 08/14/2019 04:16 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

But, regardless, please remember that The Shit Has Got To Flow.

Dora Hates You
 08/14/2019 04:23 AM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

beachside water arriving from mel with no chlorine and testing regularly positive for bacteria and off color/undrinkable. sewage spillage due to heavy rainfall events. yup, let's keep increasing density without infrastructure improvements. airforce and epa refusing to clean up dump under homes or even admit is exists that is killing people. houston we gotta problem
 08/14/2019 10:55 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

I'm getting quotes for whole house filtration. Things are getting third world, have to fend for yourself.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 08/14/2019 11:22 AM

weldertom2

Joined Forum: 04/14/2005

500 gallons = approx 10 drums of sewage.............. that much could easily percolate in to the soil/ sand..... not a huge release, but still no bueno! I would like to know exactly how the valve "failed". I am guessing a more electromechanical issue with a valve actuator or logic control issue with a panel. Valves don't just "fail" mechanically unless gross negligence of maintenance occurred - which is quite possible given the poor record of municipalities.
 08/14/2019 01:18 PM

dingpatch

The "End of the Line" for Melbourne's already terrible water supply.

Way back in the late 1970s I worked in the machine tool maintenance group at Documation in Palm Bay. I was working on getting new supplier for the water soluble cutting fluids. The head sales guy showed up with two (2) 1/2 gallon Nalgene jugs that he wanted filled with our water. He was going to take it back to his lab for analysis and from there his company would produce a cutting fluid that would be optimized on our water supply. We (him and I) filled them up at the closest hand washing station.

About 2 weeks later he called me up and he was pretty upset, saying that he thought he was clear when he told me he wanted a sample of our "Good" drinking kind of water! Hmmmmmm? I told him that we did. He came in the next week with 2 new jugs and I clearly showed him where the city (Melbourne) water came into the building, where the piping split off going here-and-there, and where the one pipe ended at the washing sink. He filled up and was on his way.

He called back in a week laughing! His lab folks had roundly chastised him for bringing back "tramp water" again! He had to explain to them that he witnessed the whole collection process. They damn near died laughing about how crap like that could be considered safe for human consumption!!!!!

And, also, the actual, old, dump at Patrick was to the west of the end of the runway, taking up what is the southern portion of what was called the "Survival Area". It was not where South Patrick Shores is now located. My father was a photog with the original RCA crew that flew over Brevard in the old B-17s to take survey photos for the emerging AFETR, and he kept original copies which he gave to the County way-back-when when the whole Toxic Neighborhood issue came up.

Dora Hates You
 08/15/2019 04:54 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

08/15/2019 05:31 AM

dingpatch

Even in this day and age, , , , , , so, I make a large six-figure income, own waterfront, drive a Ferrari, multiple big screen 4ks, latest Galaxy phones, kids go to private schools, etc., , , , , and yet, it seems that I would rather shit in a hole in the backyard than actually pay for proper sewage disposal, , , ,!

Dora Hates You
 08/15/2019 05:40 AM

RiddleMe

Originally posted by: dingpatch And, also, the actual, old, dump at Patrick was to the west of the end of the runway, taking up what is the southern portion of what was called the "Survival Area". It was not where South Patrick Shores is now located.
except you are wrong. ive seen pictures showing military dump site over sps. old canal also ran right through sps from base carrying toxic crap. also there are people literally digging up military waste in their yards in sps. there are hundreds of pictures of it online. seen it first hand myself in a friend's yard when helping with landscaping
 08/15/2019 06:04 AM

cheaterfiveo

Joined Forum: 08/29/2013

Melbourne Beach under boil alert till Saturday
 08/15/2019 06:10 AM

dingpatch

Well, no. The actual "dump" where all the nasty, chemical, shit was kept was where I said it was.

But, yes. There is/was all kinds of normal "junk" scattered all around the area south of the base. When your old '27 Ford shit-the-bed, you dumped it in SPS. Not so much to the north because that is where the old Navy housing was. The old houses along A1A northbound, like across from 16th Street are from the 1930s - 40s.

I grew up on N.E. 1st Street, it is all very familiar to me.

Dora Hates You
 08/15/2019 06:37 AM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Of course the $Hit was to flow. FL going the way of any other broke a$$ state.
 08/15/2019 06:43 AM

RiddleMe

explain the old navy and airforce items being found in bulk in people's yards. pretty much a you name it, its been found there: airplane parts, shell casings, drums, military jeep, on and on. yeah people finding non military junk too, but the chemical levels in some soil tests, sheer amount of military items, and cancer cluster overlay matching with the old aerial photos of dump locations south of pineda and old canal. maybe they werent 'officially' dumping there, but both navy and afb were. too much evidence otherwise
 08/15/2019 07:30 AM

waterlizard25

Joined Forum: 07/18/2012

lAnDsCaPiNg iN mY fRiEnDs YaRd wE sTuMbLeD aCrOsS A tAnK! Riddlemethis.. Dingpatch was in Brevard County when you weren't even a twinkle in your daddy's eyes... STFU and let him lay the facts down without you disputing everything the man types. Thanks.
 08/15/2019 08:31 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: waterlizard25 without you disputing everything the man types.
That's what the Riddler does to everyone, just an F y I! SAD!

Edited: 08/15/2019 at 08:31 AM by StirfryMcflurry
 08/15/2019 08:44 AM

Bamboo

Life Straw - never leave home without it.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV

Edited: 08/15/2019 at 08:48 AM by Bamboo
 08/15/2019 09:51 AM

dingpatch

As I tried to say, lots of "common" junk was dumped in SPS (not to say that it was all "safe as milk"!). The chemical dump was on the base.

But, that is not to say that there was no "leeching". When I was a kid in SPS '58 and on, the water table was less than elbow deep on me. All the while, the Navy, Air Force and EPA would tell you that they knew it was there but that it would take many decades for it to travel that far/fast!!! We never would have guessed how bad it could/would be. Back in those days, everybody knew that it was "Better Living Through Chemistry"!!!!!

We routinely drank well water when we were thirsty but, it was all fresh artesian from 300 foot deep wells that had positive pressure (no pump needed).

Dora Hates You
FORUMS : Surfing : Broken valve dumps more sewage...

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .