Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Almost The Entirety Of Surfing Is Now Owned And Operated By Non-Surfers - Does It Matter?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/16/2019 07:38 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/16/2019 07:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

vwsurf

Joined Forum: 06/15/2004

https://stabmag.com/news/almos...surfersdoes-it-matter/

Not sure if this was posted...

-------------------------
Surf all day, polka all night, everything is alright.
 11/17/2019 12:54 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

11/17/2019 05:50 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Ummmmm, , , , , so just who in the heck would trust Jeff Spicoli to run a business?

Dora Hates You
 11/17/2019 08:24 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Originally posted by: dingpatch

Ummmmm, , , , , so just who in the heck would trust Jeff Spicoli to run a business?

I don't know, ask the surfers that started Quiksilver, Billabong, Rip Curl and the rest. Hell, Salt Life was created but a group of good surfers from Florida. As far as intelligence, I am personal friends with lawyers, doctors, engineers, a mayor, business owners and a host of other "successful" people that are quite talented in the surf, so the whole Spicolli thing is a bunch of bullshit.

Investment groups buy the company, cut as much as they can to extract as much profit as possible, then sell it off when the company's soul has been sucked dry. This is why we get ill fitting wetsuits, baggies with open back pockets, $35 tee shirts and surfboards made by people who have never seen an ocean.

I was right.
 11/17/2019 09:27 AM

surferclimber

Joined Forum: 01/23/2011

Surfing, as in what I do in the water in front of my house won't change... But, this whole thing of media - competitions will be effected. Ironically, and IMHO, that thing is exactly what killed "surfing" many years ago with soccer moms training their kids to compete with hopes of scholarship or sponsorship; that whole thing of "surfing" becoming a "competitive sport." So honestly maybe it's for the better, perhaps surfing won't be as cool anymore and only the real watermen will be the ones out there in the lineup??? And speaking of that it looks pretty good out there right now up here north of cape the winds let up almost calm so what's left of windswell breaking pretty clean, albeit a little chilly this morning but that's OK less crowds

get up early and go surf - it'll make that hangover go away and/or make the workday more tolerable :)

Edited: 11/17/2019 at 09:30 AM by surferclimber
 11/17/2019 09:57 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Soccer Moms!!!!! Yes.

Reminds me of an ESA contest many, many, years ago. The groms were in the water, or getting out after a heat. In any case, two Soccer Moms were down by the water giving living heck to the judges and the groms, , , , not sure if there was a supposed interference that was not called, etc, but it was just as good of a show than you'll see at any Little Legue Baseball game. I will not reveal the groms, , , , ,

Dora Hates You
 11/17/2019 12:28 PM

Long Beard

Joined Forum: 05/13/2007

core is poor

R I P Mama G.

@Salt.And.Savagery.Fishing

@Laserwolf.Laserwolf
 11/17/2019 01:06 PM

seaspray

Joined Forum: 05/10/2012

This era of marketing and 24-7 promotion eventually made its way to surfing. When I started doing this back in HS I never took surfing seriously and thought that I would have been over it by now. Guess not

One thing I have noticed is that there are not that many kids ditching class to go surfing anymore. I see lots of kids in the water who seem to be homeschooled surfing with their coach or parent in the middle of the day. Maybe getting groomed to be the next KS or Caroline Marks? Good for them of they make it. If they don't, yikes
 11/17/2019 04:55 PM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

That looks like a click-bait article. Didn't click on it. LOL. tl;dr Clif notes and why I should care?!?
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .