Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Who's is Matt B?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/05/2023 07:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/05/2023 07:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

910surfer

Joined Forum: 10/28/2017

Who is Matt B?
 11/06/2023 02:39 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Local guy, good surfer, broke his neck bodysurfing a few years back. I remember a local news story on some of the guys getting him out in the water. Have not heard an update in quite a while. https://www.2ndlight.com/fuset...ht_key=y&keyword1=Matt

-------------------------
add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 11/06/2023 06:05 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Close Tom, but he was actually on a giant blowup slide and went head first. He still posts on occasion.

Matt was the true Second Light local back in the day and could be seen sitting on the out-outside, waiting for the set of sets. He rode a log in a cross step stance and would get the wave of the day like clockwork. And not just the good days; he liked it all.... the gnarlier the better. Wind, rain, sharks and whatever else Mother Nature hurled at him, Matt would be up to the challenge.

And here is the odd thing: You never noticed him in the water. Yes, he would get the good waves, and everyone in the lineup would watch as he came flying in from the horizon climbing sections, free falling floaters and hitting the lip on his 9'-6". Then poof, he was gone again. No paddle battles, no taking every wave with 100 yards, no using small board riders as buoys and no attitude, unless someone else needed backup. Hell, Matt would regularly kick out and give you the wave if you looked longingly enough at him.

I'd certainly put him in local legend status.

I was right.
 11/06/2023 06:52 AM

JOESTRUMMER

Joined Forum: 03/24/2012

RE : I'd certainly put him in local legend status. ------ I will second that ! (Old school Apollo Building local and King of the screw -foot cutback as well ! ) He posts under the nick : Truth .

Edited: 11/06/2023 at 07:02 AM by JOESTRUMMER
 11/06/2023 08:15 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Thanks Cole, didn't know him but probably surfed with him at some point.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 11/08/2023 05:59 AM

Truth

Joined Forum: 07/03/2005

Thanks Cole, Tom, & Tom

Matt B :)
 11/21/2023 06:30 AM

long_flaco1

Joined Forum: 09/25/2003

I do not know the gentlemen personally but.. I too remember his BOARD! maybe 15-20 years ago 2nd light was my happy place, and you would always find the homies board with a like red target symbol on it RIIPPING THE SHIT out of ALL CONDITIONS!

Ripper for sure!

SK8 AND DESTROY
 02/04/2024 06:30 PM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

I've never met Matt personally, but have probably surfed with him at least once.

It's not the most common name in the world, so I was surprised when I saw it here https://www.congress.gov/bill/...s/senate-bill/204/text while researching state and federal laws about expanded access and compassionate use meds, devices, and treatments.

Not the same Matt B, but an inspiring namesake to share, with an accompanying video here: https://standtogether.org/vide...n-right-to-try-passed/

Good onya both, and best wishes to our local Matt B.

Add-on: Great vid from Dave's link 10 years ago:

Edited: 02/04/2024 at 08:47 PM by CurtisEflush
 02/05/2024 06:29 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

Haven't seen or heard from Matt since I left SLRS in 2012 (before his accident). Any word on him and how he's doing? Super, super stylish surfer.
 02/05/2024 09:37 AM

MPSB2

Joined Forum: 10/01/2006

Matt Bellina is a local legend who still lives in the area.
He is one of the best, most caring, genuine, wonderful people anyone could be lucky enough to call a friend. His surfing style is so unique, and we used to make fun of him for his backwards stance but watching that video brought back so many memories of how unique his surf style is.

Even more amazing than his surfing is what an awesome father, son, brother and friend he is. He's every surfer's biggest fan and follows the world tour religiously.
Matt B is someone who every time you have a chat, phone call, visit you leave feeling so grateful for and somehow can make you realize how thankful you are for everything you have. He truly makes your worst days so much brighter.

I am so thankful to call Matt my friend.
He's as great as they come.

Instagram.com/Mels_Big_Racks
 02/05/2024 03:34 PM

JOESTRUMMER

Joined Forum: 03/24/2012

Total local legend and then some ! I was always fascinated and very much impressed with his unique screw foot placement , it always looked to me that it put way to much stress on your ankles . Matty B , perhaps " You need to learn how to surf normal " ? https://floridasurfmuseum.org/talking-story/learn-to-surf-normal-by-matt-bellina

Edited: 02/05/2024 at 06:12 PM by JOESTRUMMER
 02/14/2024 06:24 AM

slideaway

Joined Forum: 12/22/2008

Matt Bellina -- so classic. Super knowledgable local dude, really kind, always helps out when I need assistance on an article. Legend!

"It's always better than it looks from the crossover."

FORUMS : Surfing : Who's is Matt B?

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .