Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: DVT/Blood Clots got me
Topic Summary: how thin is your blood...
Created On: 02/03/2024 01:21 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/03/2024 01:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

On December 1st on a late drop to off the lip to landing in the flats I pulled my calf muscle deep inside. I paddled in shortly thereafter and did the stupid old guy trick of just ignoring it and limping around for a week. I thought I was better and started to get back to normal business and my foot swelled up so much I couldn't get it into my shoe. I kept wife at bay until then, went to clinic on 5th ave; went to get ultrasound; went straight to holmes regional for the weekend with a heparin drip due to extensive venous clots starting at my thigh and going to calf. I pushed it a couple of weeks ago when I was feeling about 90% and sure enough foot swelled up and hurt like hell. The hematologist is some guy off Malabar that said come back in June for blood tests. Don't do anything but walk and keep foot elevated. Anyone deal with this kind of thing? I was supposed to go to Costa in a couple months, but it's not looking positive.
 02/03/2024 04:16 PM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Nope. But, good luck. Let us know. Hope you can make it to Costa Rica.
 02/08/2024 11:18 AM

Quadro

Joined Forum: 11/14/2017

It can take a long time for the effects of a DVT to wear off and so you'll likely be a on a "blood thinner" for months. Often it's Eliquis and its VERY effective at clot prevention which means your are prone to bleeding. Hitting your head against the board could easily cause a brain bleed. I'd wait till the ultrasound is totally clear and you are off the meds prior to a surf trip. Meanwhile pick up some WoundSeal off Amazon. Great, hospital grade hemostatic product that works on anti-coagulated blood. Very effective for cuts and scrapes.
 02/08/2024 12:19 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Sorry but, Fuck!!!!

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 02/08/2024 02:26 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

I once had an out-of-place kneecap (patella) that was to be treated letting it get itself back into place. So a year of no bicycling and misery driving. But swimming seemed OK. Like at the beach. I'm on Eliquis for atrial fibrillation. The cost of it vs warfarin (which needs a predictable diet and regular blood tests) seems to be a wash.
 02/10/2024 09:08 PM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Originally posted by: ww
I'm on Eliquis for atrial fibrillation.

Nosey medical question, but have you tried ablation surgery for that?

I was on Eliquis for atrial fib, and on it a couple years prior for atrial flutter. One quick surgery for each side and sinus rhythm is back.

I didn't notice much difference in bleeds from small cuts and stuff, but never gave much though to major contusions like the head injury scenario Quadro mentions. Good thing to take into account as we get older.
 02/10/2024 09:24 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

as we get older.

Well, that happened too damn fast.

Science needs to step it up. This old guy shit sucks.

-------------------------
I was right.

Edited: 02/10/2024 at 09:25 PM by Cole
 02/14/2024 02:30 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

thanks for the support and feedback. just so you guys know, you can get gout taking Eliquis. They said alcohol was a blood thinner, so I supplemented my diet with some tasty Belgian beers. I also enjoyed some fried oysters and some other tasty snacks last week, and my right toe blew up and hurt like hell. I may end up riding a sponge in costa or a mat at my current rate.
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .