Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Anyone have Lasik eyework done?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/24/2005 05:30 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/24/2005 05:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

NCLongboarder

Joined Forum: 04/24/2005

I am considering getting Lasik done this year.
I am tired of squinting when I am in the line-up.

Anyone get it done?
Side-effects?
Suggestions of Docs?

Thanks,

NC Longboarder
 04/24/2005 05:38 PM

barrelman

Joined Forum: 03/22/2005

oopppss

-------------------------
florida is ________
A: crap
B: BS
C: crowded
D: Flat

http://www.keepsmyrnabeachdriving.org/saveinlet/index.html the last best hope

Edited: 04/24/2005 at 05:39 PM by barrelman
 04/24/2005 05:38 PM

barrelman

Joined Forum: 03/22/2005

my buddy still has problems 2 year later... when a front comes in and the air dries out, he says the cuts pop out or come undone.. something, but he gets super blood shot eyes and cant see sharply.. he also said salt water dries them out after like 2 hours

florida is ________
A: crap
B: BS
C: crowded
D: Flat

http://www.keepsmyrnabeachdriving.org/saveinlet/index.html the last best hope
 04/24/2005 05:44 PM

Wahine Linda

Joined Forum: 08/10/2003

A friend of mine from the gym said it was the best thing she ever did. She is in her 30's. Doesn't need to wear glasses anymore. Don't let one bad story discourage you, check it out. I would definitely have it done if it would help me.

My golden retriever surfs too!
 04/24/2005 05:56 PM

NCLongboarder

Joined Forum: 04/24/2005

Thanks Wahine!

I'll gonna check it out.

Anymore info from anyone, I would appreciate it.

04/24/2005 06:04 PM

krafty

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

NC if you're able , get it done. best thing i've ever done for myself.

i had mine done about 4 years ago by Filutowski. it took all of 15 minutes to do the procedure. and although blurry from the procedure , i could see the time on the clock from across the room.

now they don't have to make any incisions to your cornea... it's all done with the laser.

4 years later and i still have 20/15 in both eyes. the only side effect is some spiking of lights at night.

sometimes headlights or streetlights will have the spike effect look to them like a star. if you understand what i mean. other than that, which i'll deal with, no drying out of the eyes, don't have to close your eyes in the barrel now or any other troubles.

good luck.

one can't phase me.... phase me can't one.
 04/24/2005 06:19 PM

palerider

Joined Forum: 03/09/2005

Don't do it man..........you only have one set of eyes it not like a breast augmentation or nose job that can evenutally be fixed if something goes wrong from a less than satisfactory physician.

*Do not trust physicians!Orthopedics,heart surgeons or life threatening physicians= yes
plastic surgeons=No.

Check out this website..............surgicaleyes.org.........lasiksucks4U.com and the horror stories involved with the surgery!Do your research,thats what the net is for.

Style is what you make it!

Edited: 04/24/2005 at 06:37 PM by palerider
 02/21/2016 09:34 PM

KP

Joined Forum: 07/28/2006

Any more recent experiences?? Sunglare issues?

I'm getting tired of trying to blind surf barrels and losing contacts.
Recent trip to PR brought this to a head. I wanted to open my eyes under water so badly!!

Time and tide wait for no one.....

Edited: 02/22/2016 at 05:09 AM by KP
 02/22/2016 02:31 AM

finward

Joined Forum: 08/09/2011

I had PRK type done several years ago and it's great, there is no flap so in that style which is why I did it. The standard type seemed fine if you are not active because the flap they cut and fold back never heals so it can open back up if you got smacked in the eye they told me it would never heal, it would just get a thin layer of epithelial cells that scared the crap out of me so I had PRK done, it is the type where they reshape the outside of the eye. For 2 days it felt like I had sand under my eyelids it hurt pretty bad but no flap to worry about.

02/22/2016 05:40 AM

Mackerel

Joined Forum: 04/26/2013

I had it done in 2006. Have had no issues and would do it again.

02/22/2016 05:42 AM

TunnelVision

Joined Forum: 10/02/2003

Has your vision stabilized? If so, you'd only need it done once. Never had it done, but know several people who have and were just amazed at how well they could see without glasses/contacts. If your vision hasn't stabilized yet, I would recommend getting your Vitamin D regularly via some good unobstructed sunshine. Low Vitamin D can have a major impact on eyesight. Obviously Vit. D won't fix your eyesight, but may certainly prevent it from getting worse.
 02/22/2016 06:18 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Best thing I ever did for myself, hands down. As a surfer, not having to screw with contacts is pure gold. I had the surgery where the opened a flap for the laser, but the new surgery uses 3D imaging of the eye and is pinpoint accurate... I also think they don't even have to do the flap anymore. Seeing individual leaves on trees for the first time while being driven home by my wife after surgery was surreal. 

Complications are so rare and even more rare from a quality Doctor. Typically complications from the surgery are a result of people not following instruction. It's simple, do what they tell you and you will be thanking yourself. Only issues I had were some halo around lights at night for a few months. Also if you already have issues with dry eye, it will get slightly worse... Especially if you are on a computing device a lot. Well well well worth it though.

02/22/2016 06:21 AM

bob3000

Joined Forum: 07/13/2004

Originally posted by: palerider Don't do it man..........you only have one set of eyes it not like a breast augmentation or nose job that can evenutally be fixed if something goes wrong from a less than satisfactory physician. .
Agree w/ palerider.......& Putting contacts in isn't that big a deal. Continue,

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
 02/22/2016 06:24 AM

TunnelVision

Joined Forum: 10/02/2003

Regarding dry eyes, I used to have this condition a lot (for several years). Although, there can be several reasons (genetic - bad or low tear producing cells, some kind of damage to tear cells, or infection of some sort), mine was caused by too much caffeine. Once I cut back to about half my prior intake, it went away completely and has never returned.
 02/22/2016 07:49 AM

frogman

Joined Forum: 12/06/2009

I had PRK in 1998 and have zero regrets.  Going from 20/400 to 20/15 and not having to deal with contacts was/is a blessing.  Nothing is totally safe but recurrent eye irritation/styes were a far worst option.  I now use weak glasses for night driving and computer work but don't really need them unless I want super sharp vision.

Take fish oil for dry eyes, pay attention to the levels of EPA and DHA.  The higher the better.

02/22/2016 02:59 PM

Noworries

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Did it 3 years ago next month. Best thing I ever did. It will literally change your life. I too, went from 20/400 to 20/15. No flap required in the new surgery. 10 minutes total time and when I sat up I could read the clock on the wall. Used some drops for about a week or so, the vision continued to improve for several weeks until on a follow up visit, I read the the 15 line with both eyes.

I actually had it done in Annapolis, Maryland, the surgeon was preferred by other physicians (you know if you're a surgeon or general practitioner you're going to the best in the business). Code for that was she was the most expensive, but I wasn't going to be thrifty when it came to my vision. So, do you homework, go to the best regardless of price. You won't regret it and after a period of time, you'll wonder how you lived without it. No problems in the salt water or anything else. Good luck!
 02/22/2016 04:46 PM

Av8Surf

Joined Forum: 09/05/2014

2001 Ladarvision.  Best 1500 I ever spent.  Technology has improved alot since then also.  Some dryness in am but doesnt everone get that.  Saved thousands on glasses.

Recommendations.  DONT go cheap!  

Go to place that ONLY does LASER.  

Investigate the actual LASER and google the hell out of it.

PM for if you want.  I researched the heck out of it.

I went here. http://www.willvision.com/

Trading Surfboards for Bitcoin or Ethereum.

Send me Bitcoin 1Dk8oJnprZfvXGDfZpxkuoko8SSVf5Tpp2

Boards For Sale: SUPs 11 foot and 12 foot BRAND NEW. Fair prices.
 02/22/2016 06:32 PM

Fred32176

Joined Forum: 01/22/2016

I had lasik done about 15 years ago. I was very near sighted and lasik made a world of difference. I am 59 now and my distance vision is still perfect, however I now need reading glasses, I started needing reading glasses a year or two ago. Now I have to read large print books or hold stuff out about 20 inches to avoid using reading glasses. As you age your eyes get less elastic.

When I had lasik done, the surgeon offered to make one eye for distance and one eye for close up. I chose to have both eyes perfect vision. I don't regret having to wear reading glasses now vs my perfect distance vision and the years I didn't need any glasses at all.

02/22/2016 07:51 PM

Av8Surf

Joined Forum: 09/05/2014

I couldn't do half the stuff I do now if I had glasses. Diving sailing and of course surfing

Trading Surfboards for Bitcoin or Ethereum.

Send me Bitcoin 1Dk8oJnprZfvXGDfZpxkuoko8SSVf5Tpp2

Boards For Sale: SUPs 11 foot and 12 foot BRAND NEW. Fair prices.
 02/23/2016 04:33 AM

MoonDog

Joined Forum: 07/21/2004

Originally posted by: Fred32176 I had lasik done about 15 years ago. I was very near sighted and lasik made a world of difference. I am 59 now and my distance vision is still perfect, however I now need reading glasses, I started needing reading glasses a year or two ago. Now I have to read large print books or hold stuff out about 20 inches to avoid using reading glasses. As you age your eyes get less elastic.

When I had lasik done, the surgeon offered to make one eye for distance and one eye for close up. I chose to have both eyes perfect vision. I don't regret having to wear reading glasses now vs my perfect distance vision and the years I didn't need any glasses at all.

FORUMS : Surfing : Anyone have Lasik eyework done?

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .