Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Anyone have Lasik eyework done?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/24/2005 05:30 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/23/2016 04:47 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

MoonDog

Joined Forum: 07/21/2004

Same as Fred32176...I was offered, but declined both eyes different. I had mine done at Filutowski in Lake Mary.. ten years ago. My vision is perfect with no problems. Im sure I will need reading glasses some day, but at 51 years old now Im real happy with results. Best decision I ever made.
 02/23/2016 05:17 AM

dropsolo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Obrien with new vision in vero for me.

I had a very strong contact script- 6 and 6.5.

Now 20/20 and best decision I have made. Love it!

Consider prk. It is a tougher recovery but a lot of the issues that are involved in LASIK are non-issues with prk due to no flap being made. And if it tells you anything. Prk is the only laser correction the military endorses for their pilots.

Do it!

-------------------------
I type on fone 99% of time. Let the typos slyde. Thanks
 02/23/2016 06:16 AM

stevea

Joined Forum: 11/20/2009

15 years ago! BEST $$ spent! DO IT! This forum is longer than the time it takes to do it! 

02/23/2016 11:33 AM

BLat

Joined Forum: 10/28/2010

Studies report single digit complication rates. 1-5% - the question is, would you be okay with being the 1%? 

I used to work for a surgeon who needs his vision to make a living. He wears glasses and is quite active. Loves to scuba dive and swim and travel. He refuses to get Lasik due to the complication rates....take that for what it's worth. He's a Harvard/Yale trained physician and knows what's up. 

02/23/2016 06:42 PM

Av8Surf

Joined Forum: 09/05/2014

Even if there is a complication it can be repaired. Or redone. 

I was -2 diopter.  

Halos only happen on cheaper narrow lasers. 

Trading Surfboards for Bitcoin or Ethereum.

Send me Bitcoin 1Dk8oJnprZfvXGDfZpxkuoko8SSVf5Tpp2

Boards For Sale: SUPs 11 foot and 12 foot BRAND NEW. Fair prices.
 02/24/2016 05:21 AM

nsbkook

Joined Forum: 12/07/2011

I had it done 15 years ago at filutowski in Lake Mary. Like many other posters have said, BEST.DECISION.EVER! I mean seriously life changing - especially if you are active. not having to wear glasses or contacts during watersports, not having to mess with them under a motorcycle helmet, the list goes on and on.

15 years and my eyesight is still 20/15, never any complications. If I had to pay $10,000 per eye I would find a way to do it.
 02/24/2016 08:51 AM

KP

Joined Forum: 07/28/2006

Thanks!! for the updates!

So I have recommendations for New Vision and Filutowski.

Any other recommendations in the nearby area (counties)?

Comparisons of PRK equipment?

Time and tide wait for no one.....
 02/25/2016 05:10 PM

palerider

Joined Forum: 03/09/2005

PRK is the way to go.Safer than lasik. Florida eye in downtown Melbourne is the best with ethical doctors. [L=http://www.isthisyourhomework....paration/ questions]http://www.isthisyourhomework.com/my-laser-eye-surgery-part-i-prk-pre-op-preparation/ questions to ask.Unfortunately I'm not a candidate

Style is what you make it!
 07/08/2016 02:03 PM

KP

Had PRK done and in day 2 of the the healing. So far sight is still fluctuating as my eyes heal but definitely could see a change right after the procedure. Feels like my eyes have been sunburned. Discomfort level is not excruciating just constant. Ice packs are my friend.

Im out of the water for a couple weeks so hopefully you guys and gals will get some swell out of this. :-)

07/08/2016 04:39 PM

oipaul

Joined Forum: 12/06/2004

My wife is an ophthamologist. She does not recommend...
 07/09/2016 05:27 AM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

One one thing you need to do is check out the Dr and clinic you will use. Do Your homework.  The equipent used today is far better then it was 10 years ago.  They can do some pretty amazing things But you must make sure that the Dr is the best one you can find. 

07/09/2016 06:45 AM

FATLIPP

Joined Forum: 03/07/2006

i had mine done 20 years ago. as an avid waterman i can tell you it was the best thing ever!!! there is some truth to the opinions on here about your eyes drying out easier, but the benefits out weight it. there are drops and supplements you can use to negate the drying out. do your research on the dr's. wife used Belefantis (sp) from fl eye i think . i cant remember who i used. good luck with it.
 07/09/2016 06:49 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Originally posted by: oipaul
My wife is an ophthamologist. She does not recommend...

PRK, LASIK, either one?

Does she have any opinions regarding orthokeratology? Those are the harder contact lenses that reshape your cornea; newer ones are worn while you sleep, removed during the day.

Bausch and Lomb calls theirs "VST" (Vision Shaping Therapy)
http://www.bausch.com/our-prod...treatment#.V4EAZ-srLDc

Paragon calls theirs "CRT" (Corneal Refractive Therapy)
http://www.allaboutvision.com/crt/

07/09/2016 02:00 PM

fishrider62

Joined Forum: 08/18/2003

Here's my 2 cents, I had it done in 1998. Went to Tampa to Dr Uptegraph (spelling?) Only issues I've had are some starburst at night while driving, not with lit signs and such but like head lights coming at me. No dry eyes yet, I'm way older now and still haven't dealt with that. My vision is still good, not as sharp, but 20/20 with both, they were better at first. When I was 45 or so I needed reading glasses I still only use like a 1.50 for that though. All in all, I have been thrilled with the results, next best operation after my Vasectomy! Lol!
 07/12/2016 06:04 AM

AgentDeets

Joined Forum: 03/11/2009

I was all set to get free eye surgery while in the Coast Guard.  I was going to get the PRK version since there was no flap.  I rescheduled the surgery 3 times and eventually decided against it.  My script is -1.50 and-1.75 and  I decided it wasn't worth the risk to me.  I am interested in those contacts that you can wear at night to reshape the eyes.  

You think I like this hair, man? You think I like these clothes?

07/12/2016 08:48 AM

Sedgee

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Same answer as Miker - I had Lasik done a few years ago & I love it! Distance vision, close-up vision, they've both been great. I originally opted for the surgery where one eye is set for distance & one eye is set for reading - DON'T DO IT! It was miserable, trying to drive at night; I did a lot of long-distance driving at the time. After a year, I decided to get the close-range eye re-scoped for long-range vision, and I've never looked back (PUN! Woot!) - I love it, I don't need to worry about losing a contact in the lineup, when I wake up I can see perfectly without putting on glasses/contacts ... it's a whole different world.

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

07/12/2016 10:28 AM

oipaul

Joined Forum: 12/06/2004

Originally posted by: RegularJoe
Originally posted by: oipaul My wife is an ophthamologist. She does not recommend...
PRK, LASIK, either one? Does she have any opinions regarding orthokeratology? Those are the harder contact lenses that reshape your cornea; newer ones are worn while you sleep, removed during the day. Bausch and Lomb calls theirs "VST" (Vision Shaping Therapy) http://www.bausch.com/our-prod...treatment#.V4EAZ-srLDc Paragon calls theirs "CRT" (Corneal Refractive Therapy) http://www.allaboutvision.com/crt/
so to qualify depending on your situation lasik can be ok if you are younger (20s) but not older (40s) but concern for surfers is dislocation of the flap on the eye like if water hits the eye. PRK can be more painful. The concern with orthokeratology is the wearing of the lens overnight increasing chance for infection. Bottom line is risk/reward. If contacts work fine for you (like in my case) why get surgery?
 07/12/2016 10:46 AM

ForrestGump

Joined Forum: 09/30/2007

I had mine done in 2003 while on Active Duty with the USCG. Portsmouth Naval Hospital in Portsmouth, VA., opthamology clinic did it.

I had no issues at all and I was 42 years old at the time. Healing/recovery took a little longer than others due to my age. I need readers for reading though.

I would do it all over again, without a doubt.

F.G., USCG Retired

07/12/2016 02:14 PM

Fred32176

Joined Forum: 01/22/2016

I had my eyes done 15 years ago after seeing the results of a coworker and his wife. I went from having 20/200 to 20/20. The change was awesome and I've never regretted it.

When I got it done I was 45 years old and the Dr asked whether I wanted to have one eye done close up and one eye for far vision to avoid reading glasses when I got older. I didn't go that option and now still have perfect distance vision but need reading glasses with small text. 

07/13/2016 06:39 AM

KP

Day 6 and things are healing up nicely!

Went to Dr. O'Brien at New Vision Eye Center in Vero. It was close to Melbourne and great Dr. Who also understands Bell's palsy.
If you are health first employee let me know. I was able to get a relationship establish with them and H1st. You can get a 20% discount.

Thanks dropsolo for the recommendation!!!

Edited: 07/13/2016 at 10:26 AM by KP
FORUMS : Surfing : Anyone have Lasik eyework done?

<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .