Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: It's just about time to cut the Cable Cord, , , , ,
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/28/2018 06:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/28/2018 06:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Anybody care to share their experiences with Sling?

And, no, don't need/want Roku, as we already have Apple TV.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 01/28/2018 07:03 AM

dropsolo

I've used sling on short term trial basis multiple times. (I sign up for the free trial to watch gator games. ).

My thoughts, it works and it's pretty cool. Never had a problem with it.

My issue is more with the cable company. They're not dumb. They were offering me crazy prices for just internet and then like 10$ more for internet plus cable. So I went with that as the gator games are usually on cbs/abc so I only needed that basic 10$ cable.

I type on fone 99% of time. Let the typos slyde. Thanks
 01/28/2018 08:55 AM

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

I have the old Bright House highspeed internet and it's about $60/month. We use it for Netflix... and it works well. After the 1st year, they wanted to raise the price $15 more/ month. I called the "customer retention" dept. and they extended my 1st year rate... so I'm pretty happy with it.

At another property we recently switched over to Spectrum and have since been disappointed in both the cost/ and internet speed. However, we had a neighbor tell us that if you have only internet and a smart tv you can still stream all the cable channels through it. So you might see if that's an option for you. What are they trying to charge you now?

If you can get an inexpensive internet provider, the rest is easy.

01/28/2018 09:22 AM

TeeBirdForever

Joined Forum: 08/21/2016

I wish I could cut the broadband monopoly cord too. We need open source satellite internet.

01/28/2018 09:35 AM

dingpatch

Ya, I hate to be stuck with Speculum, although my "official" provider is Earthlink, which is OK, but if I can pull 15Mps it a good day.

Dora Hates You
 01/28/2018 09:42 AM

TeeBirdForever

Joined Forum: 08/21/2016

There have been proposals to connect everyone's wifi into a gigantic smart web. In this case literally a super fine web rather than a sparse graph. Nice idea, but I suspect it could have some serious shortcomings. I'll also bet the NSA doesn't favor that idea.

01/28/2018 12:53 PM

spindrift

Joined Forum: 10/28/2016

I tried sling for the same sports reasons above. But you have to get both blue AND orange.
I tried youtube tv, and im hooked. Tons of movies, espn, msnbc, all networks. $35. And the endless you tube content
And im gonna try an unlimited cell tether thang to escape the spectrum nitemare monopoly, i was forced from earthlink too.
Spectrum/blighthouse sux

spindrift

01/28/2018 12:56 PM

dingpatch

I am pretty much trapped, , , , , we do not actually "watch" much TV, but Mrs. Dingpatch is constantly locked-in on the Cooking Channel and the Food Network.

Dora Hates You
 01/28/2018 02:32 PM

dropsolo

Warningolitcal statement below;

I was and still am opposed to net neutrality. But this issue is one of the things that net neutrality was supposed to fix.

01/29/2018 09:38 AM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Dropsolo how is net neutrality supposed to fix the restricted competition here in the United States?  The lack of available solutions is why our internet costs more here than any other civilized country.

01/29/2018 01:05 PM

phreshmango

Joined Forum: 12/05/2005

YouTube TV is great. All local channels (2,6,9,35) as well as ESPN and a bunch more sports. It's $39 month with tax. You can stream up to 3 devices at once (never has been a problem) and they will give you a free Chromecast if you sign up for the monthly subscription. You can watch via the App on your smart TV, Chromecast, XBox, or your smartphone app. Pretty much have my TV where ever I go. They do not have CNN, only FOX News so if you are a liberal then prob want to look at other services.
 01/29/2018 08:05 PM

dropsolo

Originally posted by: Greensleeves

Dropsolo how is net neutrality supposed to fix the restricted competition here in the United States?  The lack of available solutions is why our internet costs more here than any other civilized country.

You know what. You're absolutely right!......

Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .