Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: High Dose Therapy and Stem Cell Transplantation
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/14/2018 06:21 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/14/2018 06:21 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Well, to start with, , , , this seems to be a pretty good take on what I currently understand about the process I'll go through. Although, , , , I still need to do some book-learnin and some question asking, , , , This is from an older WEB site, so a bunch has probably changed since then, , , , ,

PEOPLE'S EXPERIENCES with the process

High dose therapy and stem cell transplantation

Higher than normal doses of chemotherapy (and sometimes radiotherapy) are often used to treat people whose lymphoma has relapsed or has not responded adequately to other treatments. While chemotherapy at normal doses causes transient damage to the bone marrow, which makes blood cells (see 'Blood cell counts and infection risk'), high dose therapy suppresses the bone marrow for longer, and it then needs help to recover. This is achieved by transplanting (or grafting) stem cells (primitive cells that can develop into all the different types of cells in the body), which can repopulate the bone marrow.

The transplanted cells are most commonly the patient's own (an autologous transplant) or taken from a donor, either a close relative or an unrelated donor who is a close genetic match (an allogenic transplant). Cells for transplantation used to be taken directly from the bone marrow by inserting a needle into the hip bone under anaesthetic, but nowadays stem cells are usually 'harvested' from the blood using a cell separator machine. A man who had a transplant long ago had cells taken from his bone marrow, and another had this done in case the harvesting did not work.

Before harvesting, the number of stem cells in the blood is boosted by a series of daily injections of Granulocyte Colony Stimulating Factor (G-CSF) for between 5 and 10 days. Many people were taught to inject themselves; one was given them by a friend who was a nurse. During the procedure a machine takes blood from the arm, removes the stem cells, then gives the blood back through the other arm. This is repeated until enough cells are collected, which may take several hours over a few days. The cells are then frozen.

Some people said the G-CSF injections made their bones ache and one man experienced a pumping feeling in his body. The prospect of being connected to the machine could be scary, though the experience itself was not particularly unpleasant. Producing enough stem cells was sometimes a problem and one woman's transplant was abandoned for this reason. Although most people had their stem cells harvested for an immediate, planned transplant, a few had theirs harvested when they were in remission in case their disease relapsed in future.

Brothers or sisters were sometimes asked whether they would be tested to see if their stem cells would provide a suitable match for an allogenic transplant and, if so, they also had a series of G-CSF injections and their stem cells harvested on the cell separator machine. One man said the experience brought him and his sister closer together for a while. The sisters of a woman whose stem cells were harvested for a possible future transplant were also tested. One was a perfect match so she now has the option of an auto- or an allogenic transplant.

High dose chemotherapy is given daily for about a week in hospital and one man also had whole body radiotherapy. High dose chemotherapy is given in the same way as normal chemotherapy, often through a central line, and produces the same side effects. After the chemotherapy the frozen stem cells are thawed and given back via a drip. Some people said that although this was a vital part of the treatment it seemed insignificant as it was just another drip. Two people had reduced intensity transplantation, which involved being given a lower level of chemotherapy before receiving their donor's stem cells. This was an experimental treatment at the time they had it but is now standard.

After the transplant people had to stay in hospital for three or more weeks while their blood cells recovered to normal levels, during which time they were very vulnerable to infection and some needed transfusions of red blood cells and platelets. Many people had their own room in hospital equipped with filtration equipment to clean the air to reduce the risk of infection. Some had private bathrooms, but others had to share toilets with other patients and visitors. Staff and visitors were expected to wash their hands before entering the room; one man said his visitors had to wear an apron.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 04/01/2018 05:58 AM

dingpatch

Random Notes, , , ,

"High dose chemotherapeutic agents, such as Cytoxan (cyclophoshamide), will be used to prepare your body for transplant"

Short-term side effects are: You will feel messed up.

Long-term side effects could include: Being messed up!!

Oh and, I still have to get a few "things" done at the VA Lake Nona Medical Center before I can get scheduled for Nashville but, they are supposed to let me know this week what they think my total time there will be.

Dora Hates You

Edited: 08/11/2018 at 08:44 AM by dingpatch
 04/07/2018 04:18 AM

dingpatch

"Preliminary" Schedule, , , , , ,

5/13/18 - Fly to Nashville

5/14/18 - Begin out-patient labs, tests, etc., and then collection of stem cells and whites

5/28/18 - Begin in-patient ICU for High Dose Chemo

6/6/18 - Begin transplant, and stay in ICU until I am "recovered"

7/1/18 - Fly home.

Dora Hates You
 04/07/2018 05:00 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sharkey

Joined Forum: 01/07/2009

Good luck, man!

04/18/2018 10:29 AM

dingpatch

Oh, and, , , , forgot to add that I will be sterile after this! No problems because wife and girl friends won't mind! LOL

Dora Hates You
 04/19/2018 04:58 PM

dingpatch

Had four broken teeth pulled today at the VA in Lake Nona. This was the final step I needed to be able to formalize the trip to Nashville.

Dora Hates You
 05/08/2018 01:36 PM

dingpatch

Well, sort of back to square one. My "support person" can't go with me, so my trip is on hold until I can find someone else who can burn 7 weeks in Nashville with me.

VA covers all travel and lodging.

Dora Hates You

Edited: 05/08/2018 at 03:27 PM by dingpatch
 05/09/2018 06:24 AM

waterlizard25

Joined Forum: 07/18/2012

Im sorry your trip is being delayed Ding. Im thinking and praying for you brother. Keep fighting!

05/14/2018 05:51 PM

dingpatch

My case in regard to not having a support person will be one of the talking points at tomorrow's team meeting in Nashville.

Dora Hates You

Edited: 08/11/2018 at 08:46 AM by dingpatch
 05/15/2018 12:03 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Seven weeks!  My yard would turn into a summer rain forest.

05/15/2018 05:58 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Good luck dingpatch.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 05/16/2018 01:53 PM

dingpatch

I'm in!

The Veterans Administration's Nashville Medical Center has certified me as Having My Complete Stuff Together and, as such, I will not need a "support person". Although, it will mean that I May have to spend extra time as inpatient after the Death Chemo.

I'll fly to Nashville on June 3rd and return on/about Aug 3

Mrs. Dingpatch is on her feet and cleaning the 9 Mike Mike.

Dora Hates You

Edited: 08/11/2018 at 08:47 AM by dingpatch
 05/16/2018 03:04 PM

SunriseSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Good to hear H
Thoughts and Prayers go with you.

Come back strong!!! and healthy!!

Puerto Rico 11 - 24 - 2013
 05/17/2018 03:44 AM

dingpatch

Now, in regard to my place of employment, , , , ,

Never mind

Dora Hates You

Edited: 05/24/2018 at 09:29 AM by dingpatch
 05/26/2018 04:32 AM

dingpatch

Have not yet received any air travel or hotel confirmations yet, , , ,the Government works at its own pace. But my "dance card" is already filled up for my first week there. All the testing that I had done here at Lake Nona was just to physically qualify as being able to endure the process. Now, all the same tests, labs, etc, to actually start. Any previous testing goes "stale" after 30 days. No big deal. Although I am assuming that they will want to do a "new" bone marrow biopsy! Oh Boy!

Dora Hates You

Edited: 06/08/2018 at 03:05 AM by dingpatch
 05/30/2018 03:08 AM

dingpatch

Got my travel itinerary. Will be staying at the Homewood Suites across the street from Vanderbilt's campus. About 1/4 mile North East of the Parthenon, and just less than a 1/2 mile NW across campus from the VA Medical Center.

So, now, any suggestions about things to do and/or see in that area? I'll be able to walk.

Dora Hates You

Edited: 08/11/2018 at 08:48 AM by dingpatch
 06/03/2018 03:39 PM

dingpatch

Made it to Nashville with no problems. The initial blood labs and alien rectal probes start first thing in the morning.

Dora Hates You
 06/04/2018 05:21 AM

TeeBirdForever

Joined Forum: 08/21/2016

There's a lot of good live music in Nashville.

Supposedly not much of it is Nashville country, which is saccharine crap IMO.

06/04/2018 01:11 PM

SunriseSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Prayers, and wishing you the best.

Puerto Rico 11 - 24 - 2013
 06/05/2018 08:28 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Hoping all goes well and that the aliens have very very small hands.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
FORUMS : NPNR : High Dose Therapy and Stem Cell Transplantation

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .