Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Missing boaters off the Florida Coast
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/22/2019 12:01 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/22/2019 12:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

seaspray

Joined Forum: 05/10/2012

Unfortunately the Coast Guard is suspending the search for the two firefighters who went missing last weekend after launching from Jetty Park

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/local/2019/08/22/missing-boaters-search-brian-mccluney-justin-walker-expands-following-gulf-stream/2081633001/

I don't really have any theories about what happened. What do ya'll think?

Edited: 08/22/2019 at 12:18 PM by seaspray
 08/22/2019 12:16 PM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

It is a horrible situation. Th USCG made a very hard decision to suspend the active search, but they will be vigilant in their standard patrols and there are private parties who will still actively search. Unfortunately with the passing of time and no solid clues to tip off their location the area has grown to a point where it is truly massive. It is so sad and we know Brian McCluney's mother. The family lost their father in June, and now this.

-------------------------
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 08/22/2019 12:40 PM

waterlizard25

Joined Forum: 07/18/2012

"Whenever your preparations for the sea are poor; the sea worms its way in and finds the problems." Francis Stokes They don't call it The Deep Blue Sea for nothing.. Please boaters PREPARE before adventuring offshore especially pushing to 8A or further. Mother nature is relentless in so many ways. This is so tragic. Many things could have gone wrong even if they were extremely prepared. Seeing the wives and children's eyes.. its like a nightmare that you cant wake up from. I hope and pray these men are fighting to survive still a week later and are found.
 08/22/2019 02:41 PM

GreenLantern

Joined Forum: 10/02/2007

so sad

EPIRB (emergency position indicating radio beacon)
"An emergency position-indicating radiobeacon is a distress radiobeacon, a tracking
transmitter that is triggered during an accident. These are detected by satellites. The
system is monitored by an international consortium of rescue services, COSPAS-SARSAT"
 08/22/2019 08:52 PM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

Originally posted by: seaspray I don't really have any theories about what happened. What do ya'll think?
wasnt that the day those really bad storms with high winds rolled over us? think we got like 3 inches of rain just from one of them at my place. maybe one of those swamped them
 08/23/2019 06:33 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Originally posted by: RiddleMewasnt that the day those really bad storms with high winds rolled over us? think we got like 3 inches of rain just from one of them at my place. maybe one of those swamped them
Yes.... brutal storms that day. That was the first thing I thought. The ocean can get ugly fast, then factor in all the lightning that day and that becomes a big multiplier...... rough short period seas, potentially getting zapped and losing electronics/motor. Sad situation.
 08/23/2019 10:02 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

But no debris? Nothing floating? I know it's a big ocean, but I would have expected more than a tackle bag. Maybe it's just spread out by now and will wash up on the outer banks.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 08/23/2019 12:23 PM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Bermuda Triangle

Yep
Got to have redundant systems when going offshore.

Holding out hope.....

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 08/25/2019 05:12 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Originally posted by: Plan B

Originally posted by: RiddleMewasnt that the day those really bad storms with high winds rolled over us? think we got like 3 inches of rain just from one of them at my place. maybe one of those swamped them

Yes.... brutal storms that day. That was the first thing I thought. The ocean can get ugly fast, then factor in all the lightning that day and that becomes a big multiplier...... rough short period seas, potentially getting zapped and losing electronics/motor. Sad situation.

Yep, not being able to bow into oncoming seas is a recipe for disaster.

Toss the anchor - even if you are in 1000 feet of water, tie buckets to a rope and cleat the rope to the bow; do anything to avoid beam seas.

I was right.
Statistics
146493 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .